[OFFICIAL] Droid X Gingerbread Impressions and Issues

ntowell

Aug 10, 2010
Visit site
I can't believe that the LED lights are jacked on an OTA build. Really? Nobody tested that? And what is the deal with the incredibly bright button backlight? I need a fix for the LED notifications STAT!!!!

whodatt

Jan 24, 2011
Visit site
Update loaded and installed just fine yesterday, LP works just as it did before and all programs so far seem to be working correctly. NO issues so far and the phone does seem to be a little "snappier" which I'm happy about! :)
Liking the update so far! :D

mjollnir316

Jun 1, 2011
Visit site
ok..when i did the ota update, i was able to have my corp sunc and verizon yahoo email..but had the sync arrow circle up al the time...i did a factory reset and the sync isue was taken care of..but i cant set up any other email account other than gmail??? corp sync or verizon.yahoo wont set up..keeps saying "login to the accuont failed..please try again"...any ideas on how to fix??

InfinityDevil

Dec 1, 2010
Visit site
Upgraded my non-rooted Droid X yesterday. Download took a while on a weak signal, but it worked.

Good: NFS Shift demo is now uninstallable.
The lock screen fade effect around the edges of the photo is pretty cool.

Bad: Books is now built in and can't be uninstalled.
Window animations seem to slow things down a bit. Turning them off is kind of stark and makes things feel really fast, but maybe a second set of animations, less intensive, would be good to have as a choice. Or a menu of checkboxes to turn on and off select animations. More choices, please!

The apps that need to catch up:
Launcher Pro doesn't show the app drawer categories. Maybe there's a setting?
BeyondPod sometimes gets confused on rotation and shows its tab on the player on the wrong side of the screen.

I'll find more, I'm sure.

Overall I like it, though. As much as it nauseates me to thank my overpriced wireless carrier, especially given their crackdown on tethering apps and going to metered data, here goes... gulp... Thanks Verizon and Motorola for getting us an update to 2.3.3.

AtanRaca

Oct 28, 2010
Visit site
So along with the annoying lack of LED and the battery life not up to par, i am having issues with my SD Card. i am unable to either look at Zedge or doubleTwist. If one of these apps works then the other tells me that i need to insert a SD Card. Anyone know of a fix cause all I can seem to do is turn the phone on and off when i want to look at one or the other.

scottabutler

Feb 14, 2011
Visit site
I don't know if I am just one of the lucky ones, but I updated my wife's and my phone OTA and we haven't had a single problem. Is the OTA more stable or is this just a "we've screwed with our phone less" thing?

midwestcajun

Jul 1, 2010
Visit site
Has anyone thought about the fact that maybe the reason these are snappier is that now most are running a "stock" setup again? Im still not 100% convinced that jumping on the bus just cuz it's new is the best idea right now. Lots of issues so far it seems.

nmDXaddict

Dec 19, 2010
Visit site
I can't believe that the LED lights are jacked on an OTA build. Really? Nobody tested that? And what is the deal with the incredibly bright button backlight? I need a fix for the LED notifications STAT!!!!

I get the LED notification light for my emails. Wasn't getting it for text messages, I use Handcent. They just updated the app due to the LED notification not working. Hope that helps.

phasa

Jun 2, 2011
Visit site
GB automatically downloaded to my phone OTA yesterday, without my permission, so I installed, thinking, "Updates are good, right?" Well, for several hours after that I had to do constant battery pulls. That has finally stopped, but now:

Alarm does not function, and attempting to access its settings yields a long pause and a blank screen.

Multiple apps force close, or stop responding, frequently, including Market, Camera, and Browser. However, the Browser only does it when certain things are typed...?

When I receive phone calls, they show up on the screen, but the phone doesn't ring. Pressing "End Call" sometimes does nothing. Sometimes people call me multiple times, but I never know because my phone does nothing.

I had to uninstall App Locker Pro because after using the home screen menu to access the app manager, Pro asked me for a password every 3 seconds, even after pressing "back" to exit.

Don't know if this is a bug or a goofy feature, but now long pressing the "period" on the keyboard requires you to hold your finger down and slide to the punctuation you want. If you lift your finger, like in Froyo, you get a "+".

Hitting backspace after an unwanted autocorrect used to change it back, but now it only changes back until you hit "space" again, forcing you to select your original spelling from the top list. Which automatically puts a space after it. Which is stupid if it's the last word in your sentence.

My phone is uprooted, and has no special
modifications.

Anyway, I hate Gingerbread, as it has effectively screwed my previously functional

gforce1963

Apr 18, 2010
Visit site
problems with Wifi here..it will connect to both wireless routers..then stop transferring data, but say it's still connected.

Curse you Moto & VZW!!!

sandiegosteve

Mar 29, 2011
Visit site
Curious what peoples real impressions are... thread is heavy on other builds and wanting it.

Never rooted and don't have a ton of applications.

I must say that I like this phone a lot with 2.2, and I like it more with 2.3. I used a blackberry Storm for almost 2 years before getting this 6 months ago. I'd probably be happy with a string and tin-can.

+'s
  • Batter life seems better
  • memory management seems better. I've disabled ATK and memory is very stable.
  • Google Maps and Navigation seem more stable. Relatively fast GPS fix, but never had problems there.
  • Performance seems a little better.
  • I like the notifications and ability to remove the ones I want.
  • Is the aiplane mode option when you long press the power button new? Maybe I just found it, but I like it.
  • I think the camera is faster and works a little better
  • With 2.2, after traveling my phone would get flaky. So far, it is stable on this trip.

-'s:
  • Don't like the new keypad. Seems harder to hit the letters (I don't use swipe)
  • it is very hard to use your own word. Before, if I used a product name not in the dictionary, it would switch it to best guess, then I would go back, it would switch back and I could move on. Now, no matter what, it switches the word. Very annoying. I spelled it the way I did 3 times because that is how it is spelled...
  • Why do I have a txt message icon in the bottom row (not sure the name of it). Can I change it?
  • I don't get the whole profiles thing. Seems a little annoying so far.
  • The camera screen seems a little limited after taking a picture. I used to easily share image, now I've somehow gotten in a mode where I have to cancel out and get to the gallery to share.

Andy847

Nov 1, 2010
Visit site
Just noticed a few things so far. Not really having problems with Gingerbread. Most of the things I've noticed are good.
1. Volume much louder now, was loud before, but louder now.
2. Voice activated dialing is much faster now with GB. It use to take forever to get it to say "Please Say a Command". I use this feature a lot and works much faster now.
3. Had one Force close with LPP, but in general works great with LPP. I haven't really checked the new Blur, but like LPP too much to go to Blur.

PappaFloyd

Dab King
Dec 23, 2010
Visit site
I didn't un-root before the update and all is fine, weird to cuz my add blocker is still working! Hah, I need my Root back though..

A warning, I forgot to unroot and my phone was locked up, I went to verizon, they said I was rooted and oh well, still ordered me a new phone, but I was not to be beaten. I took out the battery, waited 30 minutes, restarted, and just let the phone sit for an hour or so, now all is good and working as it should.

Genericmessage00

May 28, 2011
Visit site
Curious what peoples real impressions are... thread is heavy on other builds and wanting it.

Never rooted and don't have a ton of applications.

I must say that I like this phone a lot with 2.2, and I like it more with 2.3. I used a blackberry Storm for almost 2 years before getting this 6 months ago. I'd probably be happy with a string and tin-can.

+'s
  • Batter life seems better
  • memory management seems better. I've disabled ATK and memory is very stable.
  • Google Maps and Navigation seem more stable. Relatively fast GPS fix, but never had problems there.
  • Performance seems a little better.
  • I like the notifications and ability to remove the ones I want.
  • Is the aiplane mode option when you long press the power button new? Maybe I just found it, but I like it.
  • I think the camera is faster and works a little better
  • With 2.2, after traveling my phone would get flaky. So far, it is stable on this trip.

-'s:
  • Don't like the new keypad. Seems harder to hit the letters (I don't use swipe)
  • it is very hard to use your own word. Before, if I used a product name not in the dictionary, it would switch it to best guess, then I would go back, it would switch back and I could move on. Now, no matter what, it switches the word. Very annoying. I spelled it the way I did 3 times because that is how it is spelled...
  • Why do I have a txt message icon in the bottom row (not sure the name of it). Can I change it?
  • The camera screen seems a little limited after taking a picture. I used to easily share image, now I've somehow gotten in a mode where I have to cancel out and get to the gallery to share.

-'s:
    I solved this by removing hepatic feedback. Now my typing is par for the course
    If you click on the word right after you spell it, it will add it to your user dictionary, just like in 2.2. If you wish to add more words just go to settings-->Language &Keyboard settings---> User Dictionary
    Long press it, and you can replace it with any app shortcut you wish.
    Don't need to use them friend :)
    Was not aware of the preview time shortening

snowdude1190

Jan 23, 2011
Visit site
A warning, I forgot to unroot and my phone was locked up, I went to verizon, they said I was rooted and oh well, still ordered me a new phone, but I was not to be beaten. I took out the battery, waited 30 minutes, restarted, and just let the phone sit for an hour or so, now all is good and working as it should.

wait...so they still ordered you a new phone even though your phone was rooted? for free? explain!

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Akshay