Blue 3G vs. White 3G indicator

wabyrd

Jun 21, 2010
Visit site
Ok, I can't seem to figure this one out. I'm running TBH Gingerbread and my 3G indicator changes from blue to white sometimes. I'm not sure why either.

This weekend for example...On the drive up to where I was going, there were some spots where my 3G indicator was blue and others where it was white. I heard someone say that white meant "no signal" on another posting. However, at my destination I was only on the white and would bounce between 3 and 4 bars of white 3G. At home and around town I get blue 3G. I get data with both and there doesn't seem to be a difference in speed (although I haven't run any speedtests).

Does anyone know what the difference between white 3G and blue 3G is?

wabyrd

Jun 21, 2010
Visit site

Thanks. I had spent some time Google'ing it and couldn't find anything. I read the other thread and it didn't really say what the "sync" was. Does that mean it's doing background sync for contacts/calendar/mail, etc? Is this in place of the sync circle arrows? The sync arrows forced many of us to do a factory reset after GB. Is this somehow related?

WAldenIV

MacGyver Wannabe
Jul 19, 2010
Visit site

This is consistent with my experience. When I'm on Wi-Fi at work, I don't get my GMail emails unless I manually refresh. Now that I have GB on the phone I have a white Wi-Fi indicator at work. It's blue at home and I get my emails instantly.

Now if I could figure out how to make the phone connect with Google at work, I'd be all set.

wabyrd

Jun 21, 2010
Visit site
This is consistent with my experience. When I'm on Wi-Fi at work, I don't get my GMail emails unless I manually refresh. Now that I have GB on the phone I have a white Wi-Fi indicator at work. It's blue at home and I get my emails instantly.

Now if I could figure out how to make the phone connect with Google at work, I'd be all set.

I was still automatically getting my Gmail when I was on white 3G. I didn't try talk though. Web browsing worked fine also.

I have never gotten a white WiFi though except for the first 2-3 seconds when I first turn it on. It pretty much instantly turns blue both at home and at work.

jerseyboy357

Jan 16, 2011
Visit site
It also happens when you use something like Juice Defender. Stops syncing data and re-enables the colored icons when everything is re-connected. Never a major issue.

alcor34

Aug 19, 2010
Visit site
I have been having major problems with the switching from white to blue. everytime it does this i lose connection till one of the colors are stable. When it sits at white everything works fine, when it's blue all is fine, it's the switching between the two that causes my problems. and i noticed it does this most when downloading or accessing data in the market and in browser. whatever is downloading will stop when it does that and sometimes never resumes. I have no clue what it is, but i thought google would have figured this before release.

They need to let people know what it means.

wormeyman

Nov 3, 2010
Visit site
another reason the wifi indicator could be white is that you are connected to a hotspot (for example a coffee shop) but haven't accepted their terms of use so untill you launch your webbrowser and accept then you won't be on the internet and it won't turn blue.

alcor34

Aug 19, 2010
Visit site
another reason the wifi indicator could be white is that you are connected to a hotspot (for example a coffee shop) but haven't accepted their terms of use so untill you launch your webbrowser and accept then you won't be on the internet and it won't turn blue.

i know that doesn't apply to me cause i'm using it in my house and my friends house, and i logged in with password settings.

vt_dave

Jan 13, 2011
Visit site
This happens to my droid x quite often, so when it's blue it (to me) means that it has a valid data connection, either 3G or WiFi, but when it gets stuck in white, my phone will instantly kill all outgoing calls with a call time of 0:00 and all apps say "No Data" as soon as I launch them.

The only remedy is to reboot the phone, Airplane mode doesn't fix it either. It seems like it has a connection, but doesn't get an IP address or something...

Either way it's VERY annoying.

Is there any official bug logged with Motorola?

Suic1d3

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
I've found an app that alleviates the issue faster than restarting the phone. It's called Restart Connections. Takes about 20-30 seconds. Easy.

Droid X.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
davisongeorge