help with RSD/SBFing?

ShanMan

Mar 17, 2010
Visit site
I am trying to SBF my unrooted DX running .588 GB leak back to stock to get the GB OTA. However when I try to run RSD, I can see my phone but when I select the SBF file in the dropdown box the "START" button remains greyed out.

I have made sure I have downloaded the lastest moto usb drivers. I am running Vista on my PC. RSD version is 4.9. Any ideas on how I can get RSD to start?

Ive also read (and tried without success) suggestions about running RSD as admin, shortening the file name and relocating the file to different locations on the computer (C:\, downloads/documents folder, desktop etc.)

Thanks in advance.

shadao shai

Dec 7, 2010
Visit site
I had a lot of trouble using RSD Lite. It's actually much easier and much less error prone to do it in Linux. You don't have to install linux to your computer to do this.

This forum has a bootable cd that does everything for you. Just make sure that your phone is in bootloader mode and connected then follow the onscreen instruction. Linux solution to your Windows/RSD lite problems

There is also an executable that runs the live cd in a virtual environment right inside of windows here: App of the Day: SBFportable - Droid Life: A Droid Community Blog. That would probably be even easier. But the bootable cd wasn't too hard to figure out either.

Hope this helps. I know SBFing can be quite a hassle. Makes me miss my Fascinate a bit. Using Odin to flash custom roms on my phone and back to stock was so much less harrowing.

Reactions: ShanMan

jonathon1289

May 19, 2011
Visit site
You may also want to try and run RSD as 'administrator'. Right click on the icon and seclect 'run as administrator' and see if this helps. I have heard reports of people using an older version of RSD (4.7?) with success.

ShanMan

Mar 17, 2010
Visit site
I had a lot of trouble using RSD Lite. It's actually much easier and much less error prone to do it in Linux. You don't have to install linux to your computer to do this.

This forum has a bootable cd that does everything for you. Just make sure that your phone is in bootloader mode and connected then follow the onscreen instruction. Linux solution to your Windows/RSD lite problems

There is also an executable that runs the live cd in a virtual environment right inside of windows here: App of the Day: SBFportable - Droid Life: A Droid Community Blog. That would probably be even easier. But the bootable cd wasn't too hard to figure out either.

Hope this helps. I know SBFing can be quite a hassle. Makes me miss my Fascinate a bit. Using Odin to flash custom roms on my phone and back to stock was so much less harrowing.

This did the trick. Thanks so much for the help!

CarSalesman

Feb 13, 2011
Visit site
I am already on 588. What would be gained by doing the SBF and then the Verizon update? Are there enhancements in the official version? I haven't seen any discussed, but don't mind performing the process if it will be helpful.

That Linux CD is quite the deal. Thank you for the work.

Genericmessage00

May 28, 2011
Visit site
I am already on 588. What would be gained by doing the SBF and then the Verizon update? Are there enhancements in the official version? I haven't seen any discussed, but don't mind performing the process if it will be helpful.

That Linux CD is quite the deal. Thank you for the work.

There are MANY enhancements. As I am currently enjoying them.

I posted a big fat explanation in the GB update issues and thoughts thread. But long story short? It add's a MASSIVE level of stability that I didn't have, and it gave me access back to all the apps in the market.

Plus there is already a thread for SBF'ing that is fantastic and offers a lot of help for anyone who is interested: http://forum.androidcentral.com/motorola-x-rooting-roms-hacks/83583-updated-sbf-instructions-gb.html

CarSalesman

Feb 13, 2011
Visit site
Generic - I completed the SBF using your Linux CD and got the Verizon Gingerbread update downloaded and installed. Only problem I seem to be having is that Android Market says I have no phones registered to install when I visit the market from my PC. If I visit from the phone it works fine. Yes, I am logged in on the PC.

Any thoughts?