Not too happy with GB

cyberchief

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site
If I could go back to froyo, I probably would. Since installing GB, I get intermitant freezes. When plugging in the USB, my SD card seems to lose connection... and when it reconnects, I lose every icon on the home screens that is stored on SD card. Battery drains really fast. Keyboard or other buttons are touchy (touching them multiple times in order for the command to take). Over all... I love the look. But performance has taken a big hit. Not liking it at all. Anyone else have similar experiences?

cyberchief

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site
THis is horrible... update... just went to use the camera on my DX. Took 45 seconds to launch. Took 1 picture. And couldn't take any more. I hit the home key.. and now on the home screen with NO icons.

StorminDT

Jan 3, 2011
Visit site
Agree. Not too impressed.

Right off the bat I had none of my 3 email accts showing in the acct list (even though I could send/receive on all). My ms exchange acct would not show in the calendar. Had to change pwd remotely on the accts so they would error on the dx and delete/create them again.

Had the camera/video freeze crash and give me a blank home screen. Had to power off/on to recover.

Not happy with the animation in GB.

Froyo was much better looking and functioned better.

cyberdalek

Feb 12, 2011
Visit site
I am also having issues. I can no longer use the stock keyboard, I had to switch to SwiftKey. The stock keyboard wouldn't switch between symbols and letters and I had issues with shift. I also lost the notification LED for everything emails and texts. I use Handcent for my text messaging. My Weather Channel widget no longer works. I also did not see a real performance boost either. I think that's it, for now. Besides those issues, the update is aesthetically awesome.

nmDXaddict

Dec 19, 2010
Visit site
I am also having issues. I can no longer use the stock keyboard, I had to switch to SwiftKey. The stock keyboard wouldn't switch between symbols and letters and I had issues with shift. I also lost the notification LED for everything emails and texts. I use Handcent for my text messaging. My Weather Channel widget no longer works. I also did not see a real performance boost either. I think that's it, for now. Besides those issues, the update is aesthetically awesome.

Try updating Handcent. Had the same problem but they put out an update today, which brought my LED notification back.

Didn't have an issue with gmail emails.

dragon718

Aug 22, 2010
Visit site
I was having a bunch of issues after I did the update. Freezing, apps force closing. Even when I went into sound setting it would force close. I did a factory reset, works like a charm now, better than on froyo. So if you haven't done a factory reset already I would suggest doing that.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

simplystephlb

Sep 25, 2010
Visit site
For me, there's a lag in launching apps. It's fine once they are loaded but thats my biggest issue. My dad, on the other hand, has no issues.

Since this is apparently affecting my view of overall performance, I'm not as impressed as i was with froyo.

simplystephlb

Sep 25, 2010
Visit site
I was having a bunch of issues after I did the update. Freezing, apps force closing. Even when I went into sound setting it would force close. I did a factory reset, works like a charm now, better than on froyo. So if you haven't done a factory reset already I would suggest doing that.

Thanks i may try that.

cyberdalek

Feb 12, 2011
Visit site
Updating Handcent did fix the LED issue for texts. And as for the keyboard, I am liking SwiftKey more than I thought I would.
When doing a factory reset, what is recommended for backing up to restore current setup?

El Jefe

Oct 15, 2010
Visit site
Step 1.) SBF back to Froyo
Step 2.) Root your phone using Z4root
Step 3.) Download Titanium Backup
Step 4.) Freeze (or backup & uninstall) "Updater 2.2.1"

There you go!

If you ever decide you want Gingerbread later, just thaw or reinstall "Updater 2.2.1" & pull the update then, or just manually install it.

I am still on Froyo & very glad that I decided to forgo Gingerbread based on the bugs that I am seeing people report. My Froyo has been flawless.

ndwatkins

Jan 26, 2011
Visit site
Having spent some time rooting and ROMing, these are my thoughts. Even if you don't ROM or root, which I can understand, there is a reason why, when you do, you have to wipe data and factory reset in between each new ROM change. If you don't, you get all kinds of weird bugs. For example, the sync icon in the notification bar. Force closes. Camera app problems. Gmail issues. Most of the things that have been reported can be resolved by a factory reset. I get why people don't want to do that, because it's a pain (although again, it doesn't really bother me because I've spent so much time playing with ROMs, but I know a lot of people have spent a ton of time invested in that particular iteration if their device) but it will solve a ton of problems for you. Having people upgrade from one OS to another iteration of that OS with very different framework can cause a lot of problems for you if you don't do a factory reset.

I know no one likes to hear it, but my suggestion would be: do some backups of the stuff that you care about, and take the time to do a factory reset. When you do, and you log into your Google account when the phone is starting up for the "first" time, it will automatically add back all of your apps. The only really big pain is signing into everything again and setting up all of your homescreens, if you spend a lot of time doing that. Even then, I've gotten to the point where I can do it all in about 20 minutes, and I have completely customized everything. It's good to do for your phone occasionally, and it helps it run faster. Any computer user will tell you that formatting once in awhile is a good thing.

Hope this helps some people, and good luck with the GB problems!

ultravisitor

Aug 29, 2010
Visit site
The only really big pain is signing into everything again and setting up all of your homescreens, if you spend a lot of time doing that. Even then, I've gotten to the point where I can do it all in about 20 minutes, and I have completely customized everything.

Also worth adding, some launchers will allow you to back up your desktop configuration, so once everything is downloaded again, all you have to do is restore the configuration. The launchers I have used will not restore widgets, but they do restore app shortcuts.

CarbonOak

Jul 10, 2010
Visit site
Definitely try factory reset. I FR my phone just before GB since I couldn't update my phone, and have had no problems since.

FR is certainly not optimal, but it cleans up the phone with a fresh install and update.

boomerbsg

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
I've learned to deal with the stock launcher. But after the GB update my phone started to act up.

So today I decided to do a factory reset... been several hours now and all seems smooth so far. So yeah, I recommend a factory reset too..

Update... pushing 24 hours since my factory reset, and yeah it did work for me. Lag, keyboard problems, some wonky sound issues... all gone.
I also noticed something I hadn't paid attention to prior.. I had a ton of appear I ran on my DROID 1 which when I activated my DROID x didn't carry over, I figures maybe most of them weren't compatible so they didn't get pushed to my new handset. After the factory reset and setting up my gmail account the market app lit up like an xmas tree lol.

Just thought id add this to here in case it helps someone out.

Cheers

Last edited:

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coehlcke