Verizon Says if It ain't broke don't try??

buzzbarto

Aug 18, 2010
Visit site
Here's the skinny:
I'm rooted (was) with Z4, no other roms or crazy stuff. Got the ginger bread OTA and decided to wait until I had a chance to get back to factory before I installed it. 12 hrs later, my wife has my phone and up pops this screen that ask if I want to install the update. My loving wife, no idea what she's doing, says SURE and hits yes. (I think that's how it went, I wasn't there to see it) After a while, she brings it down to my shop and says what does this mean. Says it failed to load the update. After a good beating, I got out of her what actually happend. (just kidding, she could take me anyday!) I cleared that out and checked root. It had un-rooted itself during the upgrade. I factory reset and it got rid of Z4 and a few other superuser required apps. I then call Verizon tech support, finally got to a technician after about an hour. I tell her the problem, tell her all I've done to try to correct the problem. Factory reset, batter pull, sacrificed a virgin, nothing worked. So, she says I've done everything in her list to try and then asks if I'm having any other problems with the phone. I say no, I just want to upgrade to Gingerbread.
She says, " Well, we, no not really Verizon, but Motorola, has been having some problems with this OTA update on certain phones. Not all of them, but some of them. If nothing is wrong, I mean everything is working on your phone, why don't we just wait for Motorala to correct this problem. Hopefully they will have it correct with the new OTA update in the future."
I really didn't care for that answer, asked if there was anything else we could try. She didn't have any ideas. So here I am. Like I told her, my phone is working fine, I just want Gingerbread. I've gone through a ton of posts, to figure out a solution on my own, but I'm not really sure I want to try some of these things and brick my phone. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I think what I need to do is go back to the stock configuration then retry the upgrade. I just don't know how to do that. I read to download this SBF file and save it to my SD card. How do you save it to your SD card. Everytime I try it's like I'm locked out and all I can do is see what on there. Do I need to actually remove my SD card and save it on there? I need an SBF for idiots manual or something. I think I'm just rambling on now out of frustration. Thanks for listening. :confused:

Johnly

Retired Moderator
Oct 6, 2010
Visit site
Here's the skinny:
I'm rooted (was) with Z4, no other roms or crazy stuff. Got the ginger bread OTA and decided to wait until I had a chance to get back to factory before I installed it. 12 hrs later, my wife has my phone and up pops this screen that ask if I want to install the update. My loving wife, no idea what she's doing, says SURE and hits yes. (I think that's how it went, I wasn't there to see it) After a while, she brings it down to my shop and says what does this mean. Says it failed to load the update. After a good beating, I got out of her what actually happend. (just kidding, she could take me anyday!) I cleared that out and checked root. It had un-rooted itself during the upgrade. I factory reset and it got rid of Z4 and a few other superuser required apps. I then call Verizon tech support, finally got to a technician after about an hour. I tell her the problem, tell her all I've done to try to correct the problem. Factory reset, batter pull, sacrificed a virgin, nothing worked. So, she says I've done everything in her list to try and then asks if I'm having any other problems with the phone. I say no, I just want to upgrade to Gingerbread.
She says, " Well, we, no not really Verizon, but Motorola, has been having some problems with this OTA update on certain phones. Not all of them, but some of them. If nothing is wrong, I mean everything is working on your phone, why don't we just wait for Motorala to correct this problem. Hopefully they will have it correct with the new OTA update in the future."
I really didn't care for that answer, asked if there was anything else we could try. She didn't have any ideas. So here I am. Like I told her, my phone is working fine, I just want Gingerbread. I've gone through a ton of posts, to figure out a solution on my own, but I'm not really sure I want to try some of these things and brick my phone. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I think what I need to do is go back to the stock configuration then retry the upgrade. I just don't know how to do that. I read to download this SBF file and save it to my SD card. How do you save it to your SD card. Everytime I try it's like I'm locked out and all I can do is see what on there. Do I need to actually remove my SD card and save it on there? I need an SBF for idiots manual or something. I think I'm just rambling on now out of frustration. Thanks for listening. :confused:
You have a good wife, and she was willing to update your phone, what a wife :)

pool_shark

Aug 21, 2010
Visit site
So you're back at your regular config right?

Why not re-root, and install the rooted gingerbread? Rooting of course was easy, I had no problem with that, I was hesitant to try installing the rooted GB but I did it and that was easy also. I stopped at .588 because I have yet to see a reason for me to go to .596.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Conrad Edmund