Gingerbread Shmingerbread .......

jak112460

Nov 21, 2009
Visit site
I keep hearing all of this talk about Verizon pushing Gingerbread to our X,s and it hasn't happened. I hear of leaks and all kinds of problems but where's the official update? All of these experts predicting and promising but still no update. If you read this forum it looks like the people that have it are having all kinds of issues. So I ask again experts that seem to know all. Where's the official update from Verizon? Do I even want it when it finally comes out months from now? What's the benefit over what I have now?

greydarrah

May 5, 2010
Visit site
The official update is available right now. If you want to wait until verizon pushes it to you, I have no idea when that will happen. I think they slowly move around the country, pushing OTA's in geographical regions so the whole country is trying to download the update at the same time. However, you can download it manually anytime you want. Just go to settings>about phone>system update and get it.

Regarding the quality of the update, I love it. I have no problems at all and my phone is very noticeably faster. I know there are plenty of negative post here to read, but that's what every forum is for...resolving issues. Most of what you see in any forum are problems. With all of the setting options and all of the apps available for download, every single device creates it's own unique world. There will always be phones with problems, but mine runs great.

916ninja

Jan 24, 2011
Visit site
When I try to manually update, I get the message stating I'm already up to date. My only option is to download it amd install myself.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

ultravisitor

Aug 29, 2010
Visit site
I keep hearing all of this talk about Verizon pushing Gingerbread to our X,s and it hasn't happened.

Maybe it hasn't happened for you, but that doesn't mean it's not happening. I got it pushed to my X, and I let it download and install. It went off without a hitch. I have since installed a ROM.

Ricky Babalu

BEACH BUM
Aug 30, 2010
Visit site
I keep hearing all of this talk about Verizon pushing Gingerbread to our X,s and it hasn't happened. I hear of leaks and all kinds of problems but where's the official update? All of these experts predicting and promising but still no update. If you read this forum it looks like the people that have it are having all kinds of issues. So I ask again experts that seem to know all. Where's the official update from Verizon? Do I even want it when it finally comes out months from now? What's the benefit over what I have now?
The update was pushed to my phone the first night it was released, but I decided to stay on Froyo so I declined. My friend who also has a droid X has not received the update. I had initially thought that updates are pushed by region, but this does not seem to be the case since my friend lives 5 mi. from me.

mhans311

Jun 27, 2010
Visit site
Phil and Jerry have continually told us that updates don't go by region. I am betting it has more to do with phone serial number or something like that.

Jerry Hildenbrand

Space Cowboy
Staff member
Oct 11, 2009
Visit site
Here's what I believe happens, based only on common sense diluted with beer :)

There are X number of download slots available on the server that sends out the update.
They don't really get pushed to you, your phone checks on a schedule <-- this is true, not my guess :p
If a slot is available when your phone checks, you get the OTA.
If a slot is not available, you get told there is no update available.

Letting everyone who checks get the update will kill the server. See the I/O Galaxy Tab 10.1 for an example. We (and other Android sites) announced it was available, and told people how to get it, then the servers took a dive within an hour. There are only 5,000 of those devices on the planet. Imagine what a million or so Droid X's would do to the blur update service if it allowed them all. That'd be one hell of a boom.

Simonbarsinistr

Apr 2, 2011
Visit site
The official update is available right now. If you want to wait until verizon pushes it to you, I have no idea when that will happen. I think they slowly move around the country, pushing OTA's in geographical regions so the whole country is trying to download the update at the same time. However, you can download it manually anytime you want. Just go to settings>about phone>system update and get it.

Regarding the quality of the update, I love it. I have no problems at all and my phone is very noticeably faster. I know there are plenty of negative post here to read, but that's what every forum is for...resolving issues. Most of what you see in any forum are problems. With all of the setting options and all of the apps available for download, every single device creates it's own unique world. There will always be phones with problems, but mine runs great.

100% agreement from me.

Sent from my DROIDX

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fallingOutOfLoveWfithTech