SMS Problem

mossyoak

Oct 27, 2010
Visit site
So since the update, several people that I get SMS from all show up in one conversation but when I reply they show in a different conversation. So I have two conversations going on with the same person but one is all incoming and one is out going.

Anybody else have this problem?

I have factory reset and wiped cache but neither fixed this problem.

Thanks in advance!

jerseyboy357

Jan 16, 2011
Visit site
Can you provide maybe some screen shots? Having a hard time seeing what your describing. Normally we just have one box per contact in the messaging app, with the most recent message shown under the persons name and a counter with their pic(if applicable) on the left.

jlo3378

May 25, 2011
Visit site
So since the update, several people that I get SMS from all show up in one conversation but when I reply they show in a different conversation. So I have two conversations going on with the same person but one is all incoming and one is out going.

Thanks in advance!
I'm having the same problem. It's very inconsistent. I've searched and tried everything.

I'm not rooted so I can't do a screen shot, but will try to explain it. Say you have no messages saved when you go to your text message box. You send a text to "Bob". You hit home and when "Bob" replies you hit the text message (SMS) icon and you see two boxes. One is the message you sent and one is the reply. This is before you touch the conversations. When you do select a conversation, one shows only the outgoing text bubbles to "Bob". Hit back and select the other conversation and it shows only the incoming text bubbles from "Bob".

I hope that is clear. I delete my messages everyday so I don't have an example to even pull out my digi cam to take a pic.

wildman

Jul 9, 2010
Visit site
I'm having the same problem. It's very inconsistent. I've searched and tried everything.

I'm not rooted so I can't do a screen shot, but will try to explain it. Say you have no messages saved when you go to your text message box. You send a text to "Bob". You hit home and when "Bob" replies you hit the text message (SMS) icon and you see two boxes. One is the message you sent and one is the reply. This is before you touch the conversations. When you do select a conversation, one shows only the outgoing text bubbles to "Bob". Hit back and select the other conversation and it shows only the incoming text bubbles from "Bob".

I hope that is clear. I delete my messages everyday so I don't have an example to even pull out my digi cam to take a pic.

Have you thought of using the SDK to do screen shots, it works without root..

jerseyboy357

Jan 16, 2011
Visit site
Well as Wildman said u can sdk to screenshot or a non root screenshot app from the market.

You delete your messages everyday for a reason unknown but I can tell you it is not necessary. Unless ur misbehaving and don't want your messages seen lol.

Get urself a 3rd party sms app from the market(GO SMS, Handcent. Disable stock notifications) and see if the problem persists. If it doesn't then we know its the stock sms app which if a factory reset doesn't fix you may want to consider a replacement device.

If you are rooted there's alot more troubleshooting/ideas we could go through.

Sent from the X of B

mossyoak

Oct 27, 2010
Visit site
ok im not rooted either and i cant find a screen shot app that doesnt require root. But yes that is exactly the same problem. When you open the messaging app there will be two boxes that say Bob. Open one message and its all incoming messages from Bob, back out and open the next message and it all my outgoing messages to Bob. Hope this helps, I have done a foctory reset and did not fix it. It only happens for certain contacts and i have even deleted them and readded them and it still did not fix the problem.

wildman

Jul 9, 2010
Visit site

I have seen this but it only happens when I make a mistake and select to send to a different number for the same user... Example if I already texted to mobile number but I accidentally send next message to a home number.. Check the phone number that is listed in the message top area next to contacts photo.. See if they are the same..

mossyoak

Oct 27, 2010
Visit site
I have seen this but it only happens when I make a mistake and select to send to a different number for the same user... Example if I already texted to mobile number but I accidentally send next message to a home number.. Check the phone number that is listed in the message top area next to contacts photo.. See if they are the same..

they are the same number or we wouldnt know what the conversation is, i just reply to the message or vis versa. In my case the numbers are the same...

jerseyboy357

Jan 16, 2011
Visit site
It really sounds like an app issue to me. Because basically it is getting commands to separate the conversations into divisions of the conversation. Damn only if you were rooted we could mess with the 2.3 stock sms/mms app. Wait a minute.
Go into Settings clickie=tap Settings=tap Applications=tap Manage applications=tap All=scroll down to the Messaging app and tell me what version it is. Also while your in there, tap clear data. Then see what happens. Sometimes primitive methods still work. Also still try the third party app avenue.

gordol

Feb 6, 2011
Visit site

Thanks in advance!
No real solution here, but I've seen this too right after I updated to GB. I think I mentioned it in this forum. But since then, I haven't seen this issue, my SMS conversations have been threading properly. I have not done a reset of any kind, except a device reboot every now and then.

mossyoak

Oct 27, 2010
Visit site
So my messaging and text message app are ver 2.3.3

I cleared the data so we will see what happens, i have tried other messaging apps like handcent but i just got bored with it and went back to stock, but i guess i could always just try it again.

Ill be more than happy to root if someone wants to do it for me :)

mossyoak

Oct 27, 2010
Visit site
Ok so for whatever reason this time it worked by deleteing that contact and then readding them has seemed to solve the problem.

It only happens with a hand full of contacts and the two that i tested by doing that seemed to have worked...

jerseyboy357

Jan 16, 2011
Visit site
You would have to do it yourself, you have the device in your hands, not ours,lol.

Yea give it a day or so. Also, run the battery down to shutdown, then fully re-charge. See if that will help. Let us know in a day or so.

jerseyboy357

Jan 16, 2011
Visit site
I was replying to his post #11. But my reply went thru at the same time as his #12 but his was labeled first. Weird cuz this is kinda the issue he was having with his text messaging,lol. But it looks like from #12 he is getting closer to the fix.

gordol

Feb 6, 2011
Visit site
I was replying to his post #11. But my reply went thru at the same time as his #12 but his was labeled first. Weird cuz this is kinda the issue he was having with his text messaging,lol. But it looks like from #12 he is getting closer to the fix.

For the sake of following conversations, please use the "quote" button when replying, not the "quick response" button.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
trudycharles