The Pocket casts developer let me know some interesting things:

Me: Do you support video podcasts?
    Them: Yes we do. Any particular one you're after?
    Me: Nope I Didn't see it in the app description on Amazon thanks for the reply you are probably going to double your user base today have fun! So far I must say your UI is way better than most android apps.
    Them: Double? Try 100x. We've already added 15,000 new people from Amazon, and it doesn't look like stopping there. Now if only they weren't all free copies...
    (this is where it gets interesting)
    Me: You guys still get a stipend though right?
    Them: Nope. Amazon conveniently changed those terms with all developers about 2 weeks ago. So nice of them right? It used to be we got 20% of our asking price, even when they sold it free. Their new deal is we get nothing, and we have to like it. We did agree to this, so it's not like they blind-sided us, but still

This explains why the quality of the free apps on the amazon app store has dropped so much the developers are no longer getting a 20% cut of their asking price.
    06-27-2011 09:44 AM
    I wondered why the quality has gone down lately & that explains it. Maybe Amazon underestimated the popularity of their "Paid App For Free Every Day" promotion when they setup the 20% deal initially. Hopefully the new plan isn't deterring developers from allowing their apps to be featured as I would imagine it would just cause a lot more work to handle customer issues without any benefit.

As far as this "Pocket Casts" app. I'm liking it! I may have finally found my replacement for Google Listen.
    06-27-2011 12:18 PM
    As far as this "Pocket Casts" app. I'm liking it! I may have finally found my replacement for Google Listen.
    IMO anything is better than google listen the question for me is whether or not this is better than doggcatcher the UI certainly is.
    06-27-2011 12:20 PM
    IMO anything is better than google listen the question for me is whether or not this is better than doggcatcher the UI certainly is.
    Google Listen always did what I needed it to do, but I do hate that it requires so much maintenance to keep it tidy. If you don't listen all the way to the end of the podcast, you have to manually mark it as listened & also remove the download yourself or it will forever stay on the SD card. I also don't like that Listen doesn't allow you to opt out of syncing with Google Reader.

I will say that one thing I am not liking about Pocket Casts is that whenever I use the volume rocker, it pauses the podcast. I do like the on screen volume slider as an alternate option, but not the only way because if I am listening to a podcast in the car or while mowing my lawn, I like to be able to adjust the volume without having to look at the screen. Lockscreen controls would also be great, but Google Listen doesn't have that currently either, so I can't really say it is a negative over Listen.
    06-27-2011 02:01 PM
    So far Pocket Casts looks pretty good. I will try it out for awhile. I am using Google Listen right now as well. I have added my feeds into Pocket Casts, so I will try it out on my way home today.
    06-27-2011 02:14 PM
    When i use the volume rocker it doesn't pause for me?
    06-27-2011 02:30 PM
    When i use the volume rocker it doesn't pause for me?
    That's very strange. When I am listening to a podcast & click the volume rocker up or down...it pauses & stays that way until I click the volume rocker again or push play on the screen.
    06-27-2011 02:58 PM
    Hmm mine was on a video podcast.
    06-27-2011 03:21 PM
    Yeah, mine was an audio podcast. It was too annoying & I have since uninstalled Pocket Casts. I do have hope that it will be fixed in an upcoming update. When it is, I will go back to it as my podcatcher.
    06-27-2011 03:53 PM
    Yeah, mine was an audio podcast. It was too annoying & I have since uninstalled Pocket Casts. I do have hope that it will be fixed in an upcoming update. When it is, I will go back to it as my podcatcher.
    did you email the dev to let him know about the bug?
    06-27-2011 04:15 PM
    Wait, lol, there is an Amazon app store that has Android apps that will work on our devices? WOW Im falling behind..
    06-27-2011 04:20 PM
    So I got the amazon android market app and well, most of these apps are in the android market anyway. A free paid app a day is nice. I'm gona finda way to only see amazon store apps

Sent from the X of B
    06-27-2011 09:30 PM
    They've had really great free apps in the past, like SwiftKey, SoundHound Infinity, Fruit Ninja, Fancy Widget Pro, Retro Camera +, and Plants vs. Zombies.
    06-27-2011 09:39 PM
    So I got the amazon android market app and well, most of these apps are in the android market anyway. A free paid app a day is nice. I'm gona finda way to only see amazon store apps

Sent from the X of B
    Wow...I thought you were joking about not knowing about the Amazon App Store.

Yeah, you have missed out on A LOT of great free apps since it started.
    06-27-2011 10:11 PM