I'm trying to decide between X2 and Charge

gj953

Feb 24, 2011
Visit site
specs seem very similar, does anyone have any real recommendations on which might be better? (I'm a IT geek, but new to droid, coming from a horrible storm BB). I'm in a 3g only area, travel 3-4 times for work each year, to major cities for maybe a week at a time total.

Last edited:

NickA

Sep 15, 2010
Visit site
Nothing like a fellow IT geek :)

I had the Samsung Fascinate. I know it's not the Charge but it has the best screen I've ever had on a phone. I didn't like how long it took VZW/Samsung to get updates outs though. So now I have the X2 to hold me over until the Bionic. And oh, I had the BB Storm too and couldn't wait to get rid of that!

Because of the update issue with Samsung, I'm partial to the X2 now. The UI is quite a bit different on the two phones as well. If you think you'll have 3g in your area within the time you'll have the phone, I'd opt for the Charge. And honestly, the X2 seems to me like it was just an interim phone until Motorola got the Bionic ready.

If you could hold out, I'd wait for the Bionic.

gj953

Feb 24, 2011
Visit site
Oh s*t... the bionic? I haven't even seen anything on that one... argh. yeah, I can't wait to get rid of this storm. pos. (work phone). No 4g for yrs here(if ever)... to rural. Off to check out the bionic ! thx!

johncihak

Banned
Dec 8, 2009
Visit site
I have the DX2 and hate the pentile screen. The pixelation makes some text illegible and really bothers me. But, I've heard the Charge is slow. I would wait for the Samsung Galaxy 2 or HTC Vigor if you can hold off until October.

Sent from my A500 using Tapatalk

SCDroidman

Mar 24, 2011
Visit site
Both are good phones as I have the Charge for personal and X for business. It would be hard to justify the additional expense for the Charge without 4g IMO. But once you get the 4G you do not want to go backwards.

Theot

Jan 18, 2011
Visit site
I went from the fascinate to the DX2. I had the option to get the Charge. After having 4 fascinates that none of them ever worked right I couldn't bring myself to have another Samsung right now so I tried the DX2. Build quality is stellar, phone feels much more solid. Now that we have GB on it the little bit of bloat doesn't bother me because the phone flies. its the fasted 3G I've had yet and the battery life is easily double what I got on the fascinate. To me the Charge just looks like a next gen fascinate, bigger screen, 4G, same processor and software. I am loving my DX2 more each day. Blur was horrid but ADW fixed that.

Just my $0.02

ChuckG73

Feb 10, 2010
Visit site
I have the Droid X2 and it is a great 3G phone....If you need 4G and are looking at the Charge based on that, wait two weeks and check out the Bionic.

NickA

Sep 15, 2010
Visit site
I went from the fascinate to the DX2. I had the option to get the Charge. After having 4 fascinates that none of them ever worked right I couldn't bring myself to have another Samsung right now so I tried the DX2.

I went through 3 Fascinates myself. I gave it to my son when I got the X2. He's on his third one. One more an VZW said they would swap it for something else. I said anything but the Charge.

The X2 is a solid phone. For me call quality is important, and this is one of the best. Last night I was talking while in a convertible, and the person on the other end couldn't even tell.

jb_alphamale

May 3, 2011
Visit site
specs seem very similar, does anyone have any real recommendations on which might be better? (I'm a IT geek, but new to droid, coming from a horrible storm BB). I'm in a 3g only area, travel 3-4 times for work each year, to major cities for maybe a week at a time total.
I was in the same situation 3 weeks ago. I spent 1 hour in the verizon store trying to decide an finally I decided for the X2. Why?
- no 4g in my area
- no need for the front camera
- stronger build
- got BOGO in case something goes wrong
- $100 dif in price

So far with rooted Froyo and applied GB 2.3.3 I'm quite happy.
I have adw and really I don't see any problem with the screen. Battery holds three times more compared with my old D2G.

Theot

Jan 18, 2011
Visit site
I went through 3 Fascinates myself. I gave it to my son when I got the X2. He's on his third one. One more an VZW said they would swap it for something else. I said anything but the Charge.

The X2 is a solid phone. For me call quality is important, and this is one of the best. Last night I was talking while in a convertible, and the person on the other end couldn't even tell.

Yeah, while I'm getting minor issues with a random reboot once in awhile. The call quality is great. The Fascinate would consistently not ring or not send calls. Much as I was tempted by the charge as 4G is only about 4 miles from my house Samsung just left a bad taste in my mouth. The build of the X2 is superb, phone feels very sturdy and again like you said the call quality is great. Only other complaint I have is the 3G radio makes it feel like its going into a meltdown at times.

redskinsnut

May 20, 2011
Visit site
It is hilarious when you lurk in other forums to see what the opinion of another phone is. The bias is funny. I own a Charge and it is freaking awesome. I am sure the X2 is a great phone too but come on. Don't tell me the Charge isn't worth it or is "slow."

whiplash473

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
All of the positives that other people have said are completely true..simply put - this phone is awesome. The call quality, build quality, speed (with GB), and everything else makes this the best phone I've had so far without question. The one thing ill say is the screen though. Its nice, it really is..but if you put the brightness to max (really nice super bright screen) and look at the phone less than like 12 inches away from your face then you will see individual pixels. But if you do what I do to prevent this and save your battery life from going in the toilet..just put the brightness to auto and you'll be good to go.

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk

Bravozero

Drroooiiiiddddd
Jan 9, 2010
Visit site
I currently have the Charge and owned the DX before it. I loved the DX, very reliable phone and well built, and even though the bootloader was locked there were plenty of options to speed the phone up and make it better overall.

The Charge is nice, the 4G is very fast. But here's the thing... it's only good if the phone can hold 4G or if you're in a 4G area. I live in Fairfax, VA, and while I can get 4G signal, it's very "finicky" to say the least. Not only that, but 4G will drop out at times and the handoff to 3G takes a minute or two, but sometimes it will go to 1X for a while then back to either 3G or 4G. I never had signal issues with my DX, held a great 3G signal and the only time it dropped out is when I'm in an area with no Verizon coverage.

The Charge feels cheaply built and while the SAMOLED+ screen is nice, the colors are too vivid and look fake. You can really notice it when watching a video, whereas the DX had a more "natural" screen. I don't use the front camera at all, maybe once. I'm also disappointed with only 327 MB of actual usable RAM by the OS, and I've hit that mark a couple of times so I don't install or use as many apps as I used to. Call quality is ok, not bad but not superb... the DX was much better and held a better signal as well.

To me... Having 4G is nice but not a necessity especially when Verizon's LTE network is practically brand new. I'm thinking about returning it to Costco since I'm within the 90 day period and getting an X2, something more reliable and quicker. I'm going to wait until next week to see if official word of the Bionic comes out though.

Oh, and I know I compared the Charge to the DX, but most of the features I mentioned are still included and possibly improved on the DX2.