Pixelated Pictures

iLogikk

Nov 14, 2010
Visit site
I received a X2 as a replacement for my Fascinate. I didn't choose this, it was the only phone offered. I took it because I need my calls and the Fascinate (which I LOVE) was not receiving them. So they told me this was the closet phone to the Fascinate.

When I first got it I was a bit irritated about the hard buttons. I liked the touch buttons on the Fascinate. I also don't like that I cannot remove any of the homescreens without using a different launcher.

My biggest issue: horrible pictures. If I take photos outside they are a little better but you can still see cartoonist effects to them. Just a tad bit. They aren't clear and crisp as I thought they would be. I was told this phone had a better camera than the Fascinate but I beg to differ. Any picture I take inside is horribly pixalated...on and off though. Meaning occasionally they will be clear but most of the time they are not.

I called VZW and I was told that there was supposed to be an option in the settings of the camera that said "animation". After research I found that it was "shutter animation". The rep said she was going to send me a replacement because I was missing that option and it should be there. I went to the mall and a store rep told me that menu option was removed with some update. So I'm thinking the replacement phone will be the same way. I couldn't test their display phone because someone else was using it and I had to leave. She said she didn't believe that phone took pictures the same way. She even took photos with my phone and saw for herself.

So now I'm stuck because the solution the phone rep gave me actually isn't a solution at all. Is this an issue with this phone? Anyone else getting this? Any solutions to the problem? I've been seeing something about SD cards but im not sure that makes sense to me as a solution. Plus I don't want to spend unnecessary money on a fix that will not work.

Also, we tried saving to internal storage and changing the resolution. We also did a factory reset. We cleared the cache from the recovery menu and I even cleared the data from the camera app within settings > applications. That cleared the fc I was getting when I changed the resolution from widescreen to 8mp and vice verse. Any other resolution settings worked w/o fc. Now all settings work w/o fc.

Help me!!!! Should I expect this to just be an issue?? The images aren't any clearer on my laptop either. I don't want the replacement if it's going to be the same :-(

Help!!!

iLogikk

Nov 14, 2010
Visit site
Can someone please tell me if this is a common issue? I need to know if there is a fix for this or if it is just my phone. They're sending me a new one & I need to know if it matters.

Chipmunk

Aug 31, 2010
Visit site
I haven't had the issue with my phone. My pictures are pretty clear and look good on my laptop. Granted, its not 15 megapixel good, but good for 8 mp.
I have taken a picture where my hands were shaky and the camera had a hard time focusing. But those images were blurred, not pixelated.

LHKJohn

Oct 16, 2010
Visit site
Mine did the exact same thing. They sent me a replacement phone and so far so good.

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk

Theot

Jan 18, 2011
Visit site
I got a DX2 for my fascinate as well. Check the camera settings. Mine came with it set to 1MP by default. Not sure why. So open the camera, hit the menu button, settings picture resolution and set it to 8 MP. Since changing this setting mine takes phenomenal pictures. I took a picture of my daughter in the backyard the other night from about 40 feet away zoomed all the way in and it still looked great.

iLogikk

Nov 14, 2010
Visit site
Mine did the exact same thing. They sent me a replacement phone and so far so good.

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk

I have a replacement now & the pictures are still the same. The phone in the store takes better pictures. The rep took some with my phone and saw for herself. I don't know what to do now. I was using g the class 2 sd card that came with the fascinate but I bought a class 4 and in the store the pictures were better. Now im taking more pics in random lighting at home and they still are pixely.

iLogikk

Nov 14, 2010
Visit site
I got a DX2 for my fascinate as well. Check the camera settings. Mine came with it set to 1MP by default. Not sure why. So open the camera, hit the menu button, settings picture resolution and set it to 8 MP. Since changing this setting mine takes phenomenal pictures. I took a picture of my daughter in the backyard the other night from about 40 feet away zoomed all the way in and it still looked great.

Mine is set to 8mp already. It came on widescreen. I actually kept switching the mp seeing if another setting would work. I have no idea what to do now. Maybe it's the screen?

hkklife

Apr 22, 2010
Visit site
It's the pentile matrix screen on the X2. If you hook the phone up to your PC and look at the images on a "real" monitor, they will look considerably better. I actually don't mind the pentile screen that much for viewing text, documents, and web pages. But videos, any fast action game (ghosting) and still (especially one taken with the X2) look horrible. In my experiences I have found that people with darker fleshtones and/or in moderate indoor (esp incadescent) lighting look the worst on the X2's screen. Pets and whatnot look just fine, assuming the flash illuminates the subject properly.

If the X2 had a non-pentile LCD it would be a fantastic device. I have also had issues with two X2's taking dark images. It seems that the flash is out of sequence with the mechanical shutter just enough to result in overly dark images maybe 60% of the time. I have switched between internal and external storage, changed microSD cards, used Froyo and Gingerbread and switched between continuous and autofocus and nothing helps. I will say that my replacement X2 is a bit better than my first X2 was but the camera is still considerably worse than my old DX1 was.

On the bright side, the audio recorded during video capture is better on the X2 than it was on my DX and it's smoother (30fps @ 720p vs 24fps@720p).

iLogikk

Nov 14, 2010
Visit site
It's the pentile matrix screen on the X2. If you hook the phone up to your PC and look at the images on a "real" monitor, they will look considerably better. I actually don't mind the pentile screen that much for viewing text, documents, and web pages. But videos, any fast action game (ghosting) and still (especially one taken with the X2) look horrible. In my experiences I have found that people with darker fleshtones and/or in moderate indoor (esp incadescent) lighting look the worst on the X2's screen. Pets and whatnot look just fine, assuming the flash illuminates the subject properly.

If the X2 had a non-pentile LCD it would be a fantastic device. I have also had issues with two X2's taking dark images. It seems that the flash is out of sequence with the mechanical shutter just enough to result in overly dark images maybe 60% of the time. I have switched between internal and external storage, changed microSD cards, used Froyo and Gingerbread and switched between continuous and autofocus and nothing helps. I will say that my replacement X2 is a bit better than my first X2 was but the camera is still considerably worse than my old DX1 was.

On the bright side, the audio recorded during video capture is better on the X2 than it was on my DX and it's smoother (30fps @ 720p vs 24fps@720p).

I uploaded them to my pc. The first phone still showed pixely/cartoonish pics but this phone & sd card are not. So that's good but I find it confusing how im supposed to know if the pic I took was good just by looking at my screen. It literally looks like I applied an effect but I didn't. This is irritating as I feel I was given a crappy replacement for my fascinate which I loved but it was ruined by a software update. I don't feel like this is what I paid for. It's not a good replacement but they told me this was the closet phone to my fascinate. This is ridiculous though i'll live. I just think its a rip off. At least my calls are coming through. I think the speakerphone on this device is worse than the fascinate. Its really low even with the vol increased and that was with both x2's they sent.

Just im just not a fan. I would have never choosen this had I been given an option.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ParkerAdams