Fed UP!

BigGuyNH

Aug 28, 2010
Visit site
Well, here we go...

I have go through 2 Droid X2s' in a month. The phone random boots every 2-3 days. I ONLY use 3 aps, ( touchdown, Docs to Go, Gasbuddy)

What to do What to do...

Verizon has promised a call back to be every day for the past 5 days, of course they never do.

I am fed up, this is a P-O-C.

Verizon's customer service is the pits

the equipment stinks.

and they wont let me out of the contract.

suggestions, before I call me Lawyer?

:mad::mad:

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
Re: Fed UP!!!!

Factory reset? Maybe get rid of your apps for a week and see if that fixes things? If you used those apps on the other phone as well, that would be one constant to eliminate and see if the problem goes away.

NickA

Sep 15, 2010
Visit site

I get the reboots too every other day, but just once a day. I'm not returning mine because it's no the hardware, and I don't want a refurbished device. I'm going to stick it out and hope for an update. A reboot every now and then is probably a good thing on these phones.

BigGuyNH

Aug 28, 2010
Visit site

Call Verizon Corp.. That will get there attention.. Let me know if you need the #.. :)
I have replaced 18 phones in the last 2 years, all with either hardware or software problems.

I do not use anything but the apps on the phone and a couple document apps. Never rooted the phone (don't even know what that means). I use google/comcast/corp email accounts and the music player. oh yeah the calendar, the contacts and low and behold the phone!!

Verizon does not care one bit. I have gone thru every level that I can get to including a Regional Manager, (ran into him at a store and chewed his ear off on how bad every worked for about an hour)

I have done 3 factory resets this weekend, and never did anything with the phone, including adding any apps.

I am calling my lawyer Monday to start a suit on the basis that Verizon has not fulfilled their part of the contract.

I always pay the bill, and their service does not do what it says it will, and they will not let me out of the contract.:mad:

Jeff43

Aug 17, 2011
Visit site

I thought Verizon had pushed out a GB bug fix that addressed this issue for the original X.

The X2 should be next...right?

CharlieL3

Banned
Dec 31, 2009
Visit site
I haven't had a single reboot with my DX2, either with Froyo or with rooted GB. It's strange to me reading all the comments about reboots, not knowing what to suggest, because I'm not seeing the problem.

John Araki

Jun 5, 2011
Visit site
If I had 18 defective phones in 2 years, I'd think about checking myself for radiation or something. ;)

I will manually reboot my phone once every few days or so, keeps it from freezing/restarting. Maybe that would help?

Redcliffe

Apr 2, 2011
Visit site
A lot of problems are user error, or just not understanding the device. I've never had an issue I couldn't really fix with sbf. These are computers, if you don't understand them you can screw them up.

schaferan

Jan 18, 2011
Visit site
18 Phones in 2 years. That's like a new/referb phone every 6 to 7 weeks. If that's true, you have some horrible luck with smartphones. What were your previous phones?

BigGuyNH

Aug 28, 2010
Visit site
This is not user error. When the phone re-boots (complete shut down and re-start by itself) while on a phone call. that is not user error.:mad:

Phones before:

6 Blackberry Storm II - not a good phone

5 Original Droids from Motorola, everything from phone would not start up at all, to black screen because the light sensor would not work, to not working as a phone.

LG - Windows based

2 Droid X2

2 Droid X

Blackberry 8830 World Phone - bad USB connector, user was making calls while charging the phone. not a good idea, did not know.

There was one in between the LG and first Droid X, and I forget what it was.

I do not use this phone for any type of gaming. I use it for work. There is not reason you should have to do a factory reset on your phone every couple days.

I do understand that these are computers, so I do understand they can be a little bit difficult at times. But for the cost of the unit, the lack of help from Verizon and Motorola, it is very, very frustrating. I rely on this for my living, and was told that it would make my job easier. Right now, that is not happening.

Last edited:

Droid800

Banned
Mar 31, 2010
Visit site
This is not user error. When the phone re-boots (complete shut down and re-start by itself) while on a phone call. that is not user error.:mad:

Phones before:

6 Blackberry Storm II - not a good phone

5 Original Droids from Motorola, everything from phone would not start up at all, to black screen because the light sensor would not work, to not working as a phone.

LG - Windows based

2 Droid X2

2 Droid X

Blackberry 8830 World Phone - bad USB connector, user was making calls while charging the phone. not a good idea, did not know.

There was one in between the LG and first Droid X, and I forget what it was.

I do not use this phone for any type of gaming. I use it for work. There is not reason you should have to do a factory reset on your phone every couple days.

I do understand that these are computers, so I do understand they can be a little bit difficult at times. But for the cost of the unit, the lack of help from Verizon and Motorola, it is very, very frustrating. I rely on this for my living, and was told that it would make my job easier. Right now, that is not happening.

If you've had 18 phones in two years, the ONLY constant between them will be you. Something you're doing, whether intentionally or not is causing this. Hardware does not go bad at the rate you're experiencing, even in the worst of cases. I'm not blaming you for it, I'm just saying that with the wide hardware types you've had, this rate of failure is absolutely unheard of.

Here's what you need to do: Have Verizon send you a replacement phone. This will be your third phone. If you experience issues with this phone, take it into a Verizon store and demand that they switch you into a different model because the Droid X2's you've had are lemons. Also research your state's lemon laws; in some states Verizon is required by law to switch you into a different model if you've had several versions of the same hardware that's failed for the exact same reasons.

Oh, and don't waste your money with a lawyer; your contract makes it impossible for you to do ANYTHING except seek hardware replacements. And with your hardware history, I doubt Verizon is going to be at all flexible in negotiating. As long as Verizon offers you a replacement device, even if its the same hardware, they're honoring their part of the contract.

Mortiel

Mar 10, 2011
Visit site
If you've had 18 phones in two years, the ONLY constant between them will be you. Something you're doing, whether intentionally or not is causing this. Hardware does not go bad at the rate you're experiencing, even in the worst of cases. I'm not blaming you for it, I'm just saying that with the wide hardware types you've had, this rate of failure is absolutely unheard of.

Here's what you need to do: Have Verizon send you a replacement phone. This will be your third phone. If you experience issues with this phone, take it into a Verizon store and demand that they switch you into a different model because the Droid X2's you've had are lemons. Also research your state's lemon laws; in some states Verizon is required by law to switch you into a different model if you've had several versions of the same hardware that's failed for the exact same reasons.

Oh, and don't waste your money with a lawyer; your contract makes it impossible for you to do ANYTHING except seek hardware replacements. And with your hardware history, I doubt Verizon is going to be at all flexible in negotiating. As long as Verizon offers you a replacement device, even if its the same hardware, they're honoring their part of the contract.

That and Verizon guarantees cellular service, not phone operation. It will be hard to sue Verizon over something they do not make and just sell. Its like suing a convenience store because you bought a candy bar that had a bug in it. I would start talking to Google or Motorola if it were me...

BigGuyNH

Aug 28, 2010
Visit site

It has not been a hardware problem, most of the issues are software based. Phone resetting is not hardware problem but a software problem, or maybe a network problem.

Have a Lawyer on retainer(business purposes) But still good to know.

NickA

Sep 15, 2010
Visit site
My son is on his 3rd Fascinate now (I had it prior and went through 2), and VZW finally said I could switch to another phone. Here's the catch: I have an upgrade due in January and I could use that, and pay for the phone at the subsidized price. Oh, and it couldn't be a new phone, 4G or iPhone. Um, no thanks.

I'll go through 1 more Fascinate before I try to talk to someone above the customer service rep. But VZW is a victim of knowing they have the best network and don't care if they lose a customer here and there. And my issue really isn't with them, it's with the phone itself.

Kegman

Jul 13, 2010
Visit site
bigguynh.....its totally you. You couldn't possibly return 18 phones across 3 different manufacturers, 4 different OS with a legit reason. And all you want is out of your contract? to do what go to at&t and do that to them? dont get a smart phone, you cant handle the smartphone.

Devinator

Sūpā Saiya-jin Fō
Jul 27, 2011
Visit site
I haven't had a single reboot with my DX2, either with Froyo or with rooted GB. It's strange to me reading all the comments about reboots, not knowing what to suggest, because I'm not seeing the problem.

While I can't quite say I have had your luck, I don't get that many reboots. So few that it doesn't phase me. Even if it were every couple of days, I wouldn't really care. I wouldn't be happy with it, but, I dunno that it would matter all that much. I guess if I was in the middle of something important, but, that has yet to happen.

If I had 18 defective phones in 2 years, I'd think about checking myself for radiation or something. ;)

Hahaha.

I will manually reboot my phone once every few days or so, keeps it from freezing/restarting. Maybe that would help?

Are you resetting your phone BigGuyNH? This could potentially help. The documentation that came with your phone suggests your turn it off for one minute once per day. Maybe that isn't necessary, but, it couldn't hurt. It is a computer after all. I turn mine off on my drive in to work in the morning, and, turn it back on the first time I need it.

It has not been a hardware problem, most of the issues are software based. Phone resetting is not hardware problem but a software problem, or maybe a network problem.

I don't see why it couldn't be hardware. It could be software, but, you shouldn't rule out hardware. I could see a bad connection with the battery causing reboots. Do you have another battery for an X or an X2 lying around you could test it with?

Or has the phone gotten wet at all? Are any of the water indicators set off?

The phone random boots every 2-3 days.

Is a phone rebooting once every two or three days really that big of a deal? Maybe it is for you, I don't know, don't take that the wrong way, it was not meant in anyway to be mean spiritied. I know it's annoying, and, not the way the device is intended to work, but, it's not a HUGE deal. Maybe worthy of writing an email to Motorola to let them know how displeased you are with your device. Sometimes contacting companies directly in a polite, professional, but serious manner gets you a lot. I am frequently in contact with companies I am displeased with, and, I am always taken care of. So, maybe just try reaching out to Motorola first. I prefer email because it lets me be in control and draft out exactly what I want to say, not be put on the spot talking to a CSR. If they want to call me to work things out, I always include my number and that's fine, but, I like my initial correspondence to be well crafted. And, if they are receptive to this, you'd probably get a point of contact to work with you until you are satisfied that the issue is resolved. That way if there are further issues down the line, you can talk to someone who is familiar with the issue, and you don't have to explain the whole thing all over again.

Or, just wait it out for a software update, it's possible that that is the issue, as others have stated.