Just a quick question that im asking here cuz I don't feel like driving to VZW just to ask them this. If I gotta new phone ( bionic :-) ) that's 4G will I still have my unlimited data or will they change me over to a tiered data plan?

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk
    08-30-2011 10:08 PM
    Just a quick question that im asking here cuz I don't feel like driving to VZW just to ask them this. If I gotta new phone ( bionic :-) ) that's 4G will I still have my unlimited data or will they change me over to a tiered data plan?

No. Did you buy the X2 outright, or did you sign a contract? Either way, since you have unlimited now, they won't switch you.
    08-31-2011 01:29 AM
    Got it with a contract.....glad they won't cuz I use it too much to have to pay for 10GB/mo.

08-31-2011 06:36 AM
    You might want to call up Verizon, and, speak with someone who can give you a guarantee, and make sure to take down their employee ID. I have asked this question of every rep I've talked to this year. Some have said yes, some said no. Some even said they didn't know that Verizon was going to a tiered data plan. So, you might want to call up and ask to speak to a Supervisor, or, someone with some authority/knowledge on the matter.

I have a sneaking suspicion that if you sign a new contract they will try and switch you over. I'd like to believe, and, definitely hope that we will be grandfathered in, but, I just don't see it happening. With AT&T moving away from unlimited data, and, Verizon following, it seems like it will shortly be a thing of the past.

However, if you buy your new Bionic and don't sign a contract to do so, then you should be able to keep your unlimited data no matter what. And, if you use a lot of data as you say, it might be more cost effective in the long run, depending on how long you keep phones for, to just go down this path.
    08-31-2011 07:19 AM
    That's funny about some reps not even knowing.....I'll see what they say if/when I go get it and maybe if I get the phone a little before my contract ends that might work to my advantage even tho ill pay a little more

08-31-2011 09:47 AM
    Yes. And annoying that different reps gave conflicting info. That's why I suggested talking to someone with authority. I'll be doing so whenever I go to get a new phone, although that is hopefully a few years in the future.

And, yea, you'd really have to do some calculations to see which way will be more cost effective.

If you remember, maybe you can come back and post the outcome. I'd be curious to know what happens, especially if you get a new contract.
    08-31-2011 10:35 AM
    I renewed my contract and I still have unlimited data. But I have no idea if that will change if you move to 4G from 3G.
    08-31-2011 11:46 AM
    I upgraded from the Incredible which is 3G as you all know. I now have the Thunderbolt. I was grandfathered in on the UNLIMITED DATA plan..............so anyone who currently has the unlimited data you don't have to worry...........you keep your unlimited data even if you get a phone that is 4G
    08-31-2011 11:51 AM
    I renewed my contract and I still have unlimited data. But I have no idea if that will change if you move to 4G from 3G.
    Are you with Verizon? When did you renew your contract? I hope after they implemented tiered data plans, because that is good news.

Also, I think I missed the point of the original question. I saw the subject, but, just kinda brushed it off. I didn't realize the question was concerning switching from 3G - 4G. I mean, you don't really switch from 3G to 4G, just from a 3G phone to a 4G phone. If you can get 4G, hooray, you can use it. If not, you can use 3G. So, I can't imagine the purchase of a 4G phone resulting in Verizon removing your grandfathered data plan. But, who knows.
    08-31-2011 11:59 AM
    I upgraded from the Incredible which is 3G as you all know. I now have the Thunderbolt. I was grandfathered in on the UNLIMITED DATA plan..............so anyone who currently has the unlimited data you don't have to worry...........you keep your unlimited data even if you get a phone that is 4G
    Did you renew your contract to get your Thunderbolt though?

Even if you did, I still think it would be prudent to inquire right before anyone gets a new phone. Just because they are letting customers keep their unlimited data today, doesn't mean that tomorrow they wont change their mind. And for people that are heavy data users, they might make out ahead if the keep their unlimited data, and, don't get a subsidized phone.
    08-31-2011 12:02 PM
    Yeah im always very persistent and picky with phone companies especially..they'll get you bad if you're not and then, of course, charge you to fix what you didn't want.....and I agree with what you're saying above with them maybe changing it which is why I'm thinking about getting a 4G phone pretty soon even tho I only got the X2 when it came out in june or whatever..I usually go thru phones quick..not because their destroyed tho (Im very meticulous about my electronics) but cuz I like having the latest and greatest..its a disease I swear.

08-31-2011 03:14 PM
    Did you sign a contract when you got your X2? If so, are you planning on extending your contract by two years or buying the phone unsubsidized?

If you are planning on buying it unsubsidized then I see no reason to rush. I don't think they could change to tiered data just because they want to. I think the only way they could pull that would be with a contract renewal, since you are signing to new terms. So, it would seem that you could wait a bit in that scenario. Maybe wait for the initial wave of Bionics to go out and see if there are any issues with them, etc.
    09-01-2011 06:38 AM
    Yeah that's good thinking..I guess ill have to see when the time comes

09-01-2011 06:46 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD