Contacts problem, force closing

solavirtus

Aug 31, 2010
Visit site
I've searched and couldn't find anything on my problem, so I'm hoping to get some help and suggestions.

Here's the deal:
Since I rooted using the one-touch method recently described on the droid x forums, I've had an issue with some contacts process causing force closes. I can open the contacts app, but whenever I try to open a contact, I get an error message that says Contacts Storage (process com.motorola.contacts) has stopped unexpectedly, and it force closes. I'm not sure if the contacts problem is related to rooting (seems unlikely) but I also did some messing around with freezing bloatware with Titanium Backup after rooting.

This is a real pain! Does anyone have any idea what's going on or how to go about fixing it?

Jun 4, 2011
Visit site
most likely you froze something having to do with contacts, a good amount of people did this at first. theres extra parts integrated into contacts that you'd think you wouldn't need, i think one main one was yahoo mail or something. take a look around or search the freezing threads and you'll find it.

Reactions: solavirtus

solracdapinoy

Oct 27, 2011
Visit site
I am having this issue now with my X2
I am sure the contacts problem must have been with the yahoo.contact storage or something. :(

I think I have uninstalled it instead of freezing it, Is there a place I can get that back here or online?

contact storage process com.motorola

tnazty

Jan 27, 2012
Visit site
thank you! was pondering the issue behind this all morning
i froze yahoo contacts as well
no more problems. androidcentral ftw

razrthin

Apr 13, 2012
Visit site
On Titanium Backup, I defrosted

Yahoo Mail Authenticator and
Yahoo Contacts

to resolve the problem on the Droid RAZR maxx. Defrosting Yahoo Calendar doesn't seem to be necessary.

Thanks for the tip IHaven! :)

Kind of annoying that Motorola's app relies on a third party app I have NO interest in. Oh well.

iFail@Androids

May 23, 2012
Visit site
I did the same thing, Just i accidently Froze it with no back up. Anyone know how to recover it.
I checked into it and alot of people say use Root Explorer with A contacts program on Xda, just no luck.

Apr 23, 2013
Visit site
I've been having this same problem since MSN forced me to upgrade to the lousy Outlook app. I didn't delete it and I've no idea how to freeze or unfreeze anything on this phone so I doubt I've done that. so anyone have any suggestions? I don't have some of these numbers anywhere else.

ScaredofNone

Apr 23, 2013
Visit site
I've been having this same problem since MSN forced me to upgrade to the lousy Outlook app. I didn't delete it and I've no idea how to freeze or unfreeze anything on this phone so I doubt I've done that. so anyone have any suggestions? I don't have some of these numbers anywhere else.

I never post to forums...usually use them to learn from the smart kids, but something you said, aggravated droid user, clicked. I started having this problem a week ago and had not installed/uninstalled any new apps. I started searching every forum and everything pointed to yahoo related apps until you posted about the outlook update. I was finally forced to give in and switch my 15-year-old hotmail account to an outlook account. I did this on my home computer and did nothing with the apps on my phone. After reading your message, I uninstalled the old hotmail app and the contacts all returned. I reinstalled the hotmail app and was forced to switch to outlook. When I did that, the force close message returned. So far, when I uninstall the outlook/hotmail apps, the contacts are back. I guess I'll have to log in whenever I want to view my outlook, but it beats having 600 useless contacts stored in a large pocket watch.

Gen3196

Apr 23, 2013
Visit site
Excuse my ignorance but I have the same problem yet do not know what I have "frozen" or how to "unfreeze" an app or "thread"?
I open up my contacts, select a contact, and get the same error message.
I took it to a "technician" who said I had to back up my contacts to good and reset the phone.
Can you help me with the unfreezing suggestion?

eddiej82

Apr 23, 2013
Visit site
Mine was doing the same thing and the retarded tech at the store did the same thing and reset my phone which I had to set back up with everything again grrrrrrr. :mad: got home and after everything was set back up, it started doing it again. I figured it out by myself. It is in fact Outlook that is causing this bug but it is because, on my phone anyway, that hotmail and outlook were both installed.

Go to settings- applications- manage applications look for hotmail- select it- uninstall it and your contacts should work correctly again. I still have outllook installed on the phone and it is working correctley and the contacts are also. Try that to see if it helps

craigw79a

Apr 25, 2013
Visit site
Had the same "Process com.motorola.contacts has stopped unexpectedly" error. I uninstalled the Hotmail app and my contacts are working again.

hillsboroid

Apr 27, 2013
Visit site
Hallelujah! I suspected the Outlook app Microsoft forced on me was the culprit. Sure enough. For my Droid X2, I had to uninstall both Outlook and Hotmail, then re-install Outlook in order to access my Contact entries again.

agunofx77

May 12, 2013
Visit site
Hey man, I'm sorry I didn't get what I have to do, the same thing happened to me, I uninstalled some Yahoo apk and now I cannot edit or remove my contacts.

What exactly do I have to do to get that back? I'm new at this so please be patient! hah

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Landers2