Yahoo.com Authentication Error

DanM#AC

Sep 6, 2011
Visit site
I am having problems accessing emails from yahoo.com. We enter all the information correctly, but get a authentication error message. I want to delete the account and try again, but am not sure if this will delete the yahoo account we access on the laptop.

Devinator

Sūpā Saiya-jin Fō
Jul 27, 2011
Visit site
Do you mean delete the account, or, remove the account from your phone? If you remove it from your phone, it shouldn't delete the account. If you open your Apps, go to Accounts, long press your yahoo account and select Remove Account, then it should be removed from your phone, not deleted.

DanM#AC

Sep 6, 2011
Visit site
Thanks! I gave it a try and it is now removed from my phone. I still have an authentication error when I try to put the Yahoo mail account back on. In other words, I can't get Yahoo mail on the X2

carolina2012

Jun 29, 2012
Visit site
i have a problem with the yahoo account on my droid razr. it keeps popping up that my passwrd is incorrect and it the same one i always use. when i put the passwrd in it says: Attention: Invalid credentials. When i try to tap remove account, it shows the same message. i dont know what to do. :(

Devinator

Sūpā Saiya-jin Fō
Jul 27, 2011
Visit site
i have a problem with the yahoo account on my droid razr. it keeps popping up that my passwrd is incorrect and it the same one i always use. when i put the passwrd in it says: Attention: Invalid credentials. When i try to tap remove account, it shows the same message. i dont know what to do. :(

Is there anyway to clear the data from something in Manage Apps relating to your Yahoo account? That might remove the account. I don't use Yahoo, so, I can't give you more than that suggestion, if that doesn't work I'll see what else I can come up with.

sd_shadow

Sep 22, 2011
Visit site
change your yahoo password, likely that account was hacked, and phone was not
if you think your phone was hacked, wipe data, and flash sbf recovery file, wth rsd lite

Sent from my Clear using Android Central Forums

BambamNJ

Jun 4, 2014
Visit site
I have had a this same problem occur with my Android email account several times over the past 3 or 4 years.
I have about 12 different Yahoo email accounts set up on my Droid X and they all work fine.. then out of nowhere I start getting Authentication Error on several of the accounts. The email accounts work fine from a laptop but when I try to access them from my phone they've all of the sudden stopped working. Over a period of days or sometimes weeks, it ends up affecting all of my yahoo mail accounts.
So, after trying a bunch of different processes, here is what I found works to correct the problem immediately:
Delete the email account from your phone: Go into Manage Accounts, find the email account that is now working, select it and then select Delete.
Using a laptop or other computer Log onto the Yahoo email that was not working and then go to Account Info: This is currently found by clicking the little Gear icon on the upper right of the screen. You may be asked to enter your password again
On the Yahoo Account screen look down the list and find "Manage Apps and Web Site Connections". Click on this.
On the Apps and Connections screen you should see an entry for "Motoblur", removed this: there should be a remove or delete next to it that you can click on.
Now save your changes and back out of your Yahoo Account Info and log off of your Yahoo email account
Now, Go back to your phone and Add back your Yahoo email account, just like you did when you added it the first time.
Once you complete this process your email on your phone should work again.
No one has been able to tell me why this happens. Sometimes it's two or three email accounts and sometimes it runs through all of them. Usually after I perform the steps above I'm good for at least 6 months.
Hope this is helpful to somebody.

Last edited:

BambamNJ

Jun 4, 2014
Visit site
UPDATE FROM MY ORIGINAL POST***
You do not need to delete your email account from your phone.

I've posted this on other similar threads.
How I fix this Issue.

I have 6 different emails set up on my Droid Max and I had the same issue with my Droid X. Periodically for no reason my email accounts will start giving me messages that it can't log in. It may happen to one or two of them, or all six of them will suddenly not want to log in. Sometimes, if I ignore it, it resolves itself but I can't go 24 hours without being able to get to my emails via my phone. It's a real PIA.

My experience is, this has nothing at all to do with the settings on your phone. How could it be, I've set up my accounts and used them for months and months with no problem and then boom all of the sudden it can't login? My conclusion is that this is caused by the security utility from Yahoo and that it periodically gets hung. May not be the solution for everyone but it always works for me.

Here is what I found that has worked for me:
Log onto your Yahoo account. From another device, like a Laptop.
There are several ways to do this.
I usually just use my laptop and log into the Yahoo email for whichever account is giving me issues.
Go to the "gear" icon in the upper right hand corner and select "account info"
It's currently the last selection on that list. It will make you log into your account.
Go to the "Account Security" menu option on the left.
On the bottom of this screen is an option for "Allow Apps that Use Less Security Sign In"
Mine is always set to "On",
click on the switch icon to Turn this "OFF"

Now, click on the "Preferences" menu option, let that screen load.
click on the "Recent Activity" menu option, let that screen load

click back on the "Account Security" menu option
Turn that same option "Allow Apps that Use Less Security Sign In" back to "On" by clicking the switch Icon again

Now close the "Account" screen and go back to your email screen. You should now see two emails from Yahoo stating your Account Options have changed. Once I see these two emails, I go back to my phone and it is usually working again and I can see those two emails from Yahoo stating your security settings have changed came through on my phone.