Why no hype about DX2?

mikey95gt

Mar 18, 2011
Visit site
Just curious. My contract has been up for a couple months, so I am looking to change out my BB Tour that had pre-ordered back in the day and was my first smartphone. I think this would be a very good device to cut over to android. I thought about buying the DX certified pre-owned from verizon, but had decided to wait to see the price on the DX2. I know they want to push 4G and all, but they need to remember what got them to this point. Any opinions welcome. Thanks.

Last edited:

badgers0048

Mar 13, 2011
Visit site
I think the lack of 4g and the fact that the physical appearance hasn't changed at all are a couple reasons there is little interest in the X2. Personally, I'm excited about this phone and can't wait until I can upgrade to get it.

mikey95gt

Mar 18, 2011
Visit site
I would agree, but to think that all the others are just getting to a 4.3 screen size. Not like you want to go bigger right now. So the only choice they had was to change the internals and leave the physical form factor. Let's hope that less hype = less price.

Raptor007

Trusted Member
Apr 18, 2010
Visit site
Everyone is hopped up on 4G LTE, and my market will get it in the late summer, but so far the current crop of 4G phones isn't worth getting. Sure the exterior hasn't changed but a lot of the important parts has, processor, memory, qHD display. Its not like car mfg's upgrade the body style every year its every 3-5 years with tweaks along the way.

The style still works, lots of accessories available for it and its a solid build quality. The charge is a drool over phone for sure, but 1.04GB of internal vs OG DX of 6GB+. I have to see all options before I make a decision. The SG S2 has the real specs for Samsusng but I don't like the world phone design, so what will Verizon get for their version and when?

ChuckG73

Feb 10, 2010
Visit site
The leaked pictures of the Droid 2x kill it, in my opinion. People want more than just the same typically when they get the next version. They need to do more than just get rid of the camera button. Look at the Droid Inc 2, it keeps characteristics from the orginal but refined the entire phone and has a much better build. I am betting the Doid X2 looks alot better than the leaked pics, at least I hope so :)

Raptor007

Trusted Member
Apr 18, 2010
Visit site
The shell is cosmetic it has little to do with performance. If you buy a phone solely for its looks (I know iPhone buyers do) then that's cool you can. I choose to buy a phone based on overall power and performance.

I am trying to balance the Droid Charge's display and 4G against the lower internal storage (yes 32GB included) but I still need to save contacts,email, calendar and portion of the app that don't move to the card.

The DX2 has internal power, display yet only 3G and yes last years design but when it comes to performance its kicks butt.

So I say again, each buyer must decide what is most critical to them. Right now 4G LTE seems a bit fragile given phone launch delays, network outage and the never ending rumors of radio problems (recent rumor re: Charge delay).

Who knows I could buy two phones if I wanted to, but I certainly won't.

zero neck

The Ever-Living
Jan 13, 2011
Visit site
The shell is cosmetic it has little to do with performance. If you buy a phone solely for its looks (I know iPhone buyers do) then that's cool you can. I choose to buy a phone based on overall power and performance.

I am trying to balance the Droid Charge's display and 4G against the lower internal storage (yes 32GB included) but I still need to save contacts,email, calendar and portion of the app that don't move to the card.

The DX2 has internal power, display yet only 3G and yes last years design but when it comes to performance its kicks butt.

So I say again, each buyer must decide what is most critical to them. Right now 4G LTE seems a bit fragile given phone launch delays, network outage and the never ending rumors of radio problems (recent rumor re: Charge delay).

Who knows I could buy two phones if I wanted to, but I certainly won't.

Aesthetics are important to human beings.

Raptor007

Trusted Member
Apr 18, 2010
Visit site
I understand your point (since I am human and aesthetics are important to me) but beauty is up to the individual and not everyone see's beauty the same way.

Jager#CB

May 3, 2011
Visit site
My contract is up June 13 and I will be upgrading to the X2 from the original droid, so it is a major move up in my case. 4G is not a priority for me at this time...

Jude526

Trusted Member
Dec 13, 2010
Visit site
Someone had mentioned the new design of the Droid Incredible2 I like the screen size but as for the overall new style? I don't. I think the original is a much better built device and looks more expensive. I think the new 2 is cheap looking. I have the original and love it. At this point I don't know what I will upgrade with. There are so many issues with the new 4G network and it has to be perfected before I make a switch. 3G is solid and reliable and that is important to me. It is my only phone and can't have a network that has issues. I know the 4G was down in some states and until they can make it perfect, will stay with what I have. If a phone can be toggled from one to another with ease, that would be great, but you can't thus far.

sheba510

Aug 4, 2010
Visit site
Getting back to the OP's question, I think the reason X2 is not getting the hype/promotion of the Tbolt and Charge is that it is a 3g phone. VZW is competing with AT&T, Sprint and T-mo which are all hyping their 4g phones and 4g networks, so VZW must do the same. That means new 3g phones will get released with very little fanfair. Even though the X2 is a dual core phone with a fantastic display, it won't receive the same promotional blitz as the original X.

Last edited:

Stagger0

Dec 13, 2010
Visit site
Getting back to the OP's question, I think the reason X2 is not getting the hype/promotion of the Tbolt and Charge is that it is a 3g phone. VZW is competing with AT&T, Sprint and T-mo which are all hyping their 4g phones and 4g networks, so VZW must do the same. That means new 3g phones will get released with very little fanfair. Even though the X2 is a dual core phone with a fantastic display, it won't receive the same promotional blitz as the original X.

Sad thing is, is that I'm worried that the lack of hype will lead to a lack of updates for it... As I won't be living in an area with 4G for a long time, this phone appeals to me. Also it appeals to me over the GS2 because of the qHD and the ability for mirroring via the tegra chipset.

What I don't understand is how this "4G" advertisement mess is actually doing anything. Anyone who actually cares about the speed will end up looking it up and discovering "4G" isn't all it's said to be, and that 4G isn't available in most areas not in a large city.

I've got t-mobile's 4G in a town near me, and it's pretty poor reception at that. Where I live, I don't even get T-mobiles 3G.

tl;dr I'll be interested in 4G when I get it.

mikey95gt

Mar 18, 2011
Visit site
I am in the same boat. I think this will be the phone I get, as will be a while until I get 4G in Iowa. I think the HDMI out with the NFL app redzone would look good on the big screen, if the NFL can figure out the contract. See the spec sheet in the new thread I started. I don't think updates will be a problem, as it will be one of the latest Droid phones from Motorola.

sheba510

Aug 4, 2010
Visit site
I have to agree about the development community. If the sales are low, there won't be an incentive for the development community to provide hacks and customization.

Raptor007

Trusted Member
Apr 18, 2010
Visit site
A lot of devs hopped onto the ThunderBolt and support for hacking is a big concern of mine long term. If the support isn't there I will likely end up going back to the TB or another phone.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
djaa7