11-27-2011 09:45 PM
79 1234
tools
    I found this X2 and TB screen comparison review
    05-21-2011 03:34 PM
    05-21-2011 07:04 PM
    Sorry for the long response, but hopefully some can benefit from my experience. I am coming from a Blackberry Tour, which I pre-ordered back over 2 years ago when it first came out. My tour was my first smartphone coming from a flip phone that I only used for voice. Once on the BB, I only mainly used it to SMS and data. I then expanded my use to Camera/video, calendar for work (Lotus Notes believe it or not), google maps, google calendar, three email accounts (hotmail, gmail, verizon blackberry.net), weatherbug, memopad, sports scores, facebook, twitter, nfl redzone, bed side alarm clock in a dock, flashlight.

Aesthetics - Very nice phone to interact with. Like the smooth rubberized feel of the phone in the hand. Very light phone to hold. Fits in hand nicely. Sits nicely on table with the camera hump.
    Screen - Large and very easy to read. Screen auto adjusts in sunlight, but you can still see the finger prints on the phone. Screen is so close to the edge and sensitive that I still catch myself accidentally selecting something i did not mean to.
    Hardware- Very quick phone. When on wi-fi I prefer to use it over my Dell Inspiron 1000 laptop. Using the second core for more of the display rendering the only hiccups are only actually waiting for the data to download. I have had the screen lock up for about one minute and a reboot, but it was also attached to my laptop messing with an initial sync of the data SD cards to PC.
    Phone - Both blue tooth and speaker phone work very good. Speaker seems to be plenty load. Wish the FM Radio app would play over the speaker as it needs headphone for antenna, but this is more an app issue. I have only used the actual phone over blue tooth so far.
    Overall User Interface (including Motoblur) - I like the UI. Took some getting use to it coming from Blackberry Tour. To make a comparison of going from a MAC to a Window PC. So many ways to get to where you want that there are too many options. I just have to figure out my way.
    Widgets - I am liking widgets very much. So far only loaded weatherbug temp and time one. Seems to update slow. The temp can be different between the weather-bug temp in my notification bar and the widget on my home screen. I know a little over kill, but I am a server weather spotter in my free time. So it is important to me.
    Signal quality - Same as my BB tour. I download the app to find signal strength of the cell phone tower along with there location. I drove around a bit and it went from tower to tower very good. Although in my area it is a very strong 3G area.
    GPS - No problems and very quick in finding and tracking my location. Used the nav app from Best Buy to my home on a very stormy night and it tracked me withing single digit meters all the way. My Tour has a tendency to not get a lock during storms. But once again I can usually pick up double digit GPS satellites in my area, although I have not downloaded that app yet on the driod x2.
    Social Networking - Like the social media stream having facebook and twitter in one spot, but also can just go look at them individually. Only had one problem of a link within a link one a facebook posting.
    Email/Calendar- I have already converted all my main email to gmail and google calendar. I have an app that takes my Lotus Notes calendar at work and put it on my google calendar. I have not tried to get my hotmail calendar synced up yet, but that would be just a nice to have any email calendar on one droid calendar. Added all my email accounts (gmail, hotmail, yahoo) with no problems. My blackberry email got shut down on the conversion. One thing that is different, is that I could take one of my emails and light up the LED when a new message came in on my Tour. Have not figured that one out yet. Anyone know how?
    Battery Life - Battery life so far is much shorter that my BB tour. I have been trying to push the droid to it's limit to begin with (GPS, 3G, WiFi, Bluetooth, 10 min screen timeout, constant use) and I have not been able to last longer than 6 hours. But once I get into my normal routine again, will post an update if it will last me all day. But I don't expect it to match up with a BB tour.
    Performance - Faster than I expected. Put this on WiFi and it goes instantly on any app. 3G the app comes up the same, but the data is a tad slower. Web pages are very quick to load also.
    Media - Transferred my 16G SD with all my music, photos, vids from BB tour to Droid without problems. Streaming NFL Live video looks good and will look better once hook it up HDMI to the big screen. Did i say NFL red zone channel this fall will be great, if we have nfl. Did music on headphones and speaker good. Did FM radio on headphones while mowing the lawn and could hear it just fine.
    Keyboard's - onscreen keyboard is taking some getting use to. Can only seem to type in landscape mode (in which a 4.3 screen pays off), but I like the word suggestions as you type. I do find myself missing a track ball mouse when trying to go back in a sentence to correct words. But I will adapt.
    Camera - The camera is one of the best I have had. The continuous focus really pays off when trying to snap those action shots. It is very quick to snap the shot and be ready to take another one. I have not tried the video yet, but expect the same. Indoor zooms seemed to get a little grainy, but outdoors picture zooms were great. Wish it had more zoom on it, then I could truly replace my stand alone camera.
    How the Droid X2 compares to your previous smartphone - Enough said on that above.
    Disappointments - Verizon not selling this until Thursday in the stores, but could order online for delivery. Had to go to best buy to get immediately. Wish apps would completely close when exiting. Wish there was another way to go back other than the physical button. Physical buttons have a slight clicking sound and that is one of the reasons I did not buy a BB storm. Will see if it is noticeable in work meetings next week. Miss a physical camera button or a configurable physical button. Miss going to phone sleep putting in a holster, although I do like the droid x2 face in open holster. Miss changing the vibrate/ring when holstering.

Any questions let me know. I am still waiting for my car dock, home dock, HDMI cable to be delivered.

Mike out.
    05-21-2011 08:08 PM
    Traded my thunderbolt for this phone. It was worth it.
    orchidsbloom likes this.
    05-21-2011 08:29 PM
    Nice summary Mike. A few notes for you: The ability to go back and select words to correct gets infinitely better once you get the Gingerbread update (should be a couple weeks tops). The UI gets even faster on Gingerbread as well. The physical buttons will always make that sound (I expect you know this), or at least mine still do 9 months later.

As for closing apps when you leave them - Android will eventually close them. The thing is to not think of it as being analgous to to the BBOS. Some of the threads that are kept open are done so because they can be shared across different apps (that is, it actually speeds up opening of different apps) and of course you can instantly go back to those apps. Unlike on BBs where the memory just leaks and leaks until you have to restart, the OS's trash collector does a good job of cleaning out the memory as time goes on (in fact, it gets better after a couple days). And once again, Gingerbread does an even better job at this.

Anyhow, glad you're enjoying your new phone! I think I may have to trade in my X for an X2 at some point...
    mikey95gt, orchidsbloom and DF2349 like this.
    05-21-2011 08:38 PM
    Wish apps would completely close when exiting.
    I was watching a review and I see that the X2 comes with Motorola's new Task Manager. If you want certain apps to close when the screen turns off for 2 minutes, you can add apps to the auto-end list.

Motorola Task Manager
    mikey95gt, orchidsbloom and DF2349 like this.
    05-21-2011 09:22 PM
    I was watching a review and I see that the X2 comes with Motorola's new Task Manager. If you want certain apps to close when the screen turns off for 2 minutes, you can add apps to the auto-end list.

Motorola Task Manager
    Thanks. Yes I was playing with the task manager a little bit. I was just afraid that I was going to auto stop something important. The Best Buy guy mentioned to download it, but it was already on the phone and on one of the home screens also.
    05-21-2011 11:02 PM
    Loving the phone so far, coming from a env touch is a huge step! Only thing is when i place angry birds on my home screen it disappears :<
    DF2349 likes this.
    05-22-2011 12:30 PM
    I was thinking about buying this phone instead of waiting for the Bionic... what has the speeds of your 3G been on this phone? I have an OG droid and my 3G is about 300 kB/s download, completely awful. I want to junk this phone right now. I'm thinking part of it is the phone. At this point it can't even send MMS picture messages anymore! I live in the suburbs of Long Island, 20+ miles from NYC, so 4G is very strong in this area... what should I do? PS I use wifi all the time at home. But I don't have wifi at school or work, of which I spend plenty of time at. Additionally, I need a future proof phone that will last 2 yrs. I am in medicine so I have a lot of pertinent apps that must access internet and function exactly how and when I need them consistently.
    05-22-2011 06:07 PM
    After spending the weekend with it, I am returning it.

It is a good phone but not a great phone. The biggest issues are the battery life and the fact that it is not very smooth. The battery is not lasting more than 8 hours for me and the phone seems to get stuck doing certain tasks that the Atrix does without any hiccups. I'll wait for the next Droid X...
    05-22-2011 06:51 PM
    Thanks. Yes I was playing with the task manager a little bit. I was just afraid that I was going to auto stop something important. The Best Buy guy mentioned to download it, but it was already on the phone and on one of the home screens also.
    I'm just curious, are you using the task manager to disable tasks and if yes, how is the battery performance after?
    05-23-2011 03:19 PM
    I'm just curious, are you using the task manager to disable tasks and if yes, how is the battery performance after?
    Yes, auto kill off apps that I did not need running in the background. So far the best thing I have found on battery savings is to go into the Settings > Battery & data manager > Battery Mode > Select Maximum Battery saver. Going from 7am until 3pm and at 60% battery level. Light use while at work. Will report if I make it thru the day.

Update: I started using it heavily again around 6pm and it got me to 8pm and that was a complete drain to shutdown. One thing I noticed is that once you drain it all the way, putting it on the charger the battery meter still says 0% after 40 minutes on the charger and won't let me power it back up yet. Just displays the 0% battery charging on the screen. Anyone know if this is a way it is calibrating the battery somehow? I have always let new devices drain the battery all the way down on the first couple of cycles, but have never seen it take so long to just be able to get enough charge to boot up.

Update to my Update: Update on the charging. Still 0% after 1 hour. I unplugged the charger cable and plugged it right back in and it said I have 60% charge and it booted right up. Hummmm!
    filpak007 and DF2349 like this.
    05-23-2011 04:11 PM
    Probably mentioned here and in some other threads, but I have had great luck with JuiceDefender on my D2. Perhaps it could improve the X2 also.

My D2 always seemed to have a significant drain if I drove with the phone in my pocket, it was at least 10%/hour without use. I mean, I had every sync set for manual and still it had a drain from the radio when it had signal issues.

However with JuiceDefender it has no measurable loss because I have it controlling the wifi and mobile data. I have it set to turn off wifi when it loses signal, but also I have it set to stay on otherwise. Also the mobile data set to turn off with the screen.

My guess is the mobile data 3G draws significant power when weakened such as in the pocket, but just the cell connection for voice + text is insignificant, so that's why I like that I can turn it off with the screen using JuiceDefender. The free version if fine.
    DF2349 likes this.
    05-23-2011 07:58 PM
    Ok so it isn't just my phone: The lock screen does not update battery status for me either.
    05-24-2011 12:18 AM
    Ok so it isn't just my phone: The lock screen does not update battery status for me either.
    Nope. I think this is something with Moto's lowlevel software. I have friends on the Defy, and one on the Atrix who complained about this same thing. My OG Droid running 2.3.4 still does it too.

Moto has good hardware... But they need to invest heavily in the software...
    05-24-2011 10:44 AM
    I was going to upgrade my DX to a DX2, but with HTC's unlocked bootloader policy and DX2 still on Froyo, I'm switching to HTC. Adios Moto.
    05-27-2011 11:41 PM
    Replaced my X with the X2, it's been 3 days I can honestly say that I have not noticed any significant difference between the two. Truly dig the X phone, hence the upgrade. I compared the two when I first got it and actually found the X2 to be a little sluggish in transition (in all fairness my original X was running the leaked GB). I am hoping that the GB upgrade for the X2 will have the same positive effect as it did with the original X.
    There are a few new features on the X2 that I like but certainly not worth changing phones over:
    - Additional car dock screens and options
    - Task manager
    - Screen resolution is great but made the icons smaller
    - No camera button, which I prefer because I was always accidentally pressing it
    - Faster camera auto focus
    - Allows the deletion of most game apps.
    Dislikes
    - It functions almost identically to the X....no significant difference
    - Lost the car dock icon. Cannot configure screens unless in the dock
    - Smaller icons
    - Battery life not quite as good
    - Sluggish on some screen transitions application openings (I thought this is where it was supposed to be better??)
    - New gallery configuration is terrible, lost the ability to create specific folders
    - Way too much bloatware
    - It's an "upgrade" but you get a smaller Micro SD card.
    - I am hearing a lot of complaints about no front facing camera.....not a big deal for me.
    - Also many complaints about no 4G.....again no big deal, not having a make believe feature is not an issue for me.

I am sure I will find more likes and dislikes in the coming days but for now I can honestly say that I would not have made the change if I knew now what I didn't know then.

Just my personal observation. As mentioned love the X as a whole and would be happy with either, just wouldn't spend the money to upgrade if I had to do it over again. If one came from any other phone to the X2, I am certain they will be pleased.
    Again, really hoping the GB upgrade will make a significant difference.
    DF2349 likes this.
    05-29-2011 10:13 AM
    I went up to the local VZW store yesterday to look at the new offerings, especially the X2. I WILL NOT be getting this phone.

Sure, it's a little faster and a little better constructed than the X, but the major disappointment is the screen. There's another review on Android Police where the guy reviewing the X2 had the EXACT reaction I did to the screen, it's horrible. Very pixelated, the color is awful, way too much color band... the higher resolution doesn't even do much for sharpness either. I set my X alongside the X2 and there's not comparison, the OG X has a much better screen despite the slightly lower resolution.

If this "qHD" screen is going to be used on all of Moto's future Android devices, then I guess it's goodbye from me. You can't have a nice and powerful device, coupled with a horrible screen. It's not going to sell. As a matter of fact, I found the Droid Charge's screen to be much sharper, much better overall even though it still has a lower resolution.

If the Bionic comes out and it has this same exact screen, then I won't be getting it either. Overall, the X2 is not worthy of being a "successor" to the original. Another case of not leaving the original concept alone.
    DF2349 likes this.
    05-29-2011 10:54 AM
    here's a little background:

Recently my OG DX was bootlooping, so I brought my phone to Best Buy to have it sent out since I have the Black Tie protection on it, they ended up junking my phone out so I was able to pick a new device. I picked up the ThunderBolt for a total of about 7 hours and absolutely hated it. I guess Sense UI just isn't for me, I was overall un-impressed by the phone. I've been reading up on here about the Bionic for some time now, and just like seemingly everyone on here I'm more than anticipating it's release.

Anyway like I said, after owning the TB for only a few hours, I returned it to the store for the DX2.

love the phone. I don't really do anything crazy on it. just facebook, email, text a lot, web browse. my DX was rooted and I was running Gingerbread which I really liked, but as of right now my DX2 remains un-rooted and I'm not completely hating the version of Blur that it's running. it does have a lot of useless things on it but for the most part I am noticing faster speeds opening programs on the phone. Downloading apps from the market is very quick, I'm not sure if that is just because the phone is new and doesnt have much on it yet or because of the new specs. either way. like I said I love it.

the only issues I have run into thus far are;

The phone wakes up really slow. about a whole 2-3 second delay from the time of hitting the power button or home button until the displays turns on. Is anyone else experiencing this? I have been reading up and don't seem to see it written anywhere else.

and also, I use TeslaLED flashlight app (I install car electronics for a living, and sometimes the drop light is too bulky to get into certain spots) and I have the Widget on my home screen but I often have to press the icon several times for it to turn the flash on. I also hear a clicking when the light turns on, which I never heard on my OG DX. This could be an app developer problem but I was just wondering/hoping I could get some insight on here.
    orchidsbloom and DF2349 like this.
    05-29-2011 03:02 PM
    I agree, wake up time is definitely delayed compared to DX.

here's a little background:

Recently my OG DX was bootlooping, so I brought my phone to Best Buy to have it sent out since I have the Black Tie protection on it, they ended up junking my phone out so I was able to pick a new device. I picked up the ThunderBolt for a total of about 7 hours and absolutely hated it. I guess Sense UI just isn't for me, I was overall un-impressed by the phone. I've been reading up on here about the Bionic for some time now, and just like seemingly everyone on here I'm more than anticipating it's release.

Anyway like I said, after owning the TB for only a few hours, I returned it to the store for the DX2.

love the phone. I don't really do anything crazy on it. just facebook, email, text a lot, web browse. my DX was rooted and I was running Gingerbread which I really liked, but as of right now my DX2 remains un-rooted and I'm not completely hating the version of Blur that it's running. it does have a lot of useless things on it but for the most part I am noticing faster speeds opening programs on the phone. Downloading apps from the market is very quick, I'm not sure if that is just because the phone is new and doesnt have much on it yet or because of the new specs. either way. like I said I love it.

the only issues I have run into thus far are;

The phone wakes up really slow. about a whole 2-3 second delay from the time of hitting the power button or home button until the displays turns on. Is anyone else experiencing this? I have been reading up and don't seem to see it written anywhere else.

and also, I use TeslaLED flashlight app (I install car electronics for a living, and sometimes the drop light is too bulky to get into certain spots) and I have the Widget on my home screen but I often have to press the icon several times for it to turn the flash on. I also hear a clicking when the light turns on, which I never heard on my OG DX. This could be an app developer problem but I was just wondering/hoping I could get some insight on here.
    05-29-2011 07:58 PM
    I got the Droid X2 the other day and am loving it. The screen is absolutely beautiful and the colors look great. Video recorder and camera look better than ever. I do love the Tegra 2 Dual Core processor, which is the main reason why i bought it. It makes doing everything super fast without much lag at all. I live in a 3g area for now and for me this phone is perfect. Battery life seems to be fantastic. I actually get better calling reception with it as well. Can't wait until they release gingerbread for the X2.
    orchidsbloom and DF2349 like this.
    05-30-2011 01:07 PM
    Can't really compare this to any other Android since this is my first, but with the random reboots, the screens locking (completely missed 2 calls because the screen wouldn't unlock), the total freeze when it's charging over night that requires a battery pull and the jerky, then fast speed video make me want to junk this. I have no idea what I'd get because I'm not going back to BB.
    05-31-2011 02:14 AM
    biz - it sounds like you got a bad device. I'd exchange it for a new one.
    05-31-2011 03:08 PM
    maybe this picture of can explain the new features of the new Droid X2 and the old Droid X.

DF2349 likes this.
    06-03-2011 05:14 AM
    Coming from a fascinate and I love this phone! The X2 signal and call quality is industry leading, the display feels and looks amazing and I love the processor! Benchmarks are ridiculous and will only get better! The phone easily rooted with gingerbreak and I got rid of all the bloat. Best 3g phone on vzw!
    DF2349 likes this.
    06-04-2011 12:28 AM
79 1234