11-27-2011 09:45 PM
79 1234
tools
    BACKGROUND: I came to the X2 from an htc Incredible, which I had from launch day just about a year ago. It was my first foray into Android, as well as touchscreen phones, as I had a Blackberry and Sidekick before that. Once I got used to the differences from Blackberry - the OS and touchscreen - I really loved Android and the Incredible. But after a year with the Incredible, I wanted a bigger screen and was also hoping to get better call quality/reception if possible...not to mention the gadget ***** in me was getting restless

I decided against the Thunderbolt because of reports of the battery life being so bad (something I'd experienced a bit of with the Incredible) and wanting a different manufacturer for the reception/call quality issue, and against the Samsung Charge because I just don't like the way it looks and a lack of timely updates that I have read about with Samsung would probably tick me off down the road. I was interested in the Bionic, but since it seems to be buried right now I was too impatient to wait. While I would like 4G speeds right now, I didn't mind waiting for it until my next device...perhaps after battery life issues get under control.

So all that led me to the X2. I know someone with an X that I've handled briefly before an my impression of it was that it was sort of slow in transitions between screens and the UI was not nearly as fluid and elegant as Sense. But I decided to take the plunge anyway since the X2 has an upgraded processor and Blur is supposedly toned down now...plus I figured I could replicate things I liked about Sense with downloads from the market.

IMPRESSIONS: After a week of use, my two main goals - bigger screen and better calls - have been met! The jump from a 3.7 inch screen to 4.3 is great. I am happy with the resolution of the screen and think it is better than the X, but I find that in motion the screen shows artifacts and ghosting. It is definitely better than the Incredible outdoors, even when wearing polarized sunglasses.

Call quality has been excellent...a definite step up from my last phone. Callers sound loud and clear and are easy to hear even when outdoors/in a noisy environment, which was a periodic problem for me with the htc device. It also seems that I get a stronger signal at work, where I am not directly next to a window. Overall all I am pleased with the X2 as a phone.

The main thing I'm not sure I like are the hard keys for menu, home, back and search. They require definite effort to press and make noise when pressed. The chances of me accidentally hitting the back button or the home button when doing something like surfing or gaming are certainly decreased, which is a positive. But if I had a choice, I would still probably choose virtual buttons.

One thing that makes me crazy about the X2 is the inability to organize my bookmarks in the browser alphabetically. I've tried to figure it out and can't. Even made a post about it and got no answers. I can't believe this option wasn't included. That seems like OS 101 to me. Weird.

Battery life has been a mixed bag so far. One day i got 18 hours of use before the phone was at 20%, the next it was at 20% after 8 hours. Overall, I would say it is better than the Incredible and I am less nervous than before about charging. However, I still keep a charger at work and in the car.

There are a few other little things here and there where maybe the htc phone is a little more intuitive, but nothing that really stands out at the moment.

EDIT: One thing I discovered after this post was that you can't search Calendar on the device. This is probably a bigger faux pas than not being able to organize bookmarks. Luckily, like most things, there is a fix in the Market - Power Search, which is free.
    DF2349 likes this.
    06-04-2011 07:32 PM
    I am a Verizon Premium Retailer, and after playing with all the new phones, I finally used my personal lines upgrade on the DX2. I was going to wait for the Bionic, but I have no clue on the release date to be honest, I hear random crap.

Anyways, though I still am waiting for the Employee Line people to change my ESN, I have played with it all day on Wifi and my DInc's rooted hotspot. For a little while I was texting and calling while it was still active on my personal line, but I had to release the ESN so it can be activated on my employee line.

Thus far the dual core processor is delivering exactly how I wanted it to. Everything is snappy and fast. Apps load instantly and there is no load time for lists (contacts, texts etc). The screen is crisp and clear -- maybe not as pretty as super amoled + -- but the fact that I can actually see my screen in the sunlight without having the brightness maxed is awesome.

I am used to a smaller screen on the DInc and having a bit of a hard time getting comfortable holding the phone (though I did own a DX1 for a little), but I'm liking the display.

I had my choice of any of the phones (only paid $75 for the DX2) on the line up. I've played with them all. I realized that I didn't need 4G, merely because thus far, everything I've done on my phone has been satisfyingly fast enough except for non-network related things (rendering lists, photos, opening apps etc). Even though 30mbps is tasty as anything, I don't find myself needed such ridiculous speeds.

So far I'm happy with my decision. I have noticed some abnormal lag when it's mounted and unmounted my SD card, and a couple apps have caused some issue, but I am rooted and haven't seen anything that could be a red-flag so far.

Currently happy and excited about the DX2.
    DF2349 likes this.
    06-08-2011 12:00 AM
    Coming from a non-data enabled phone (LG Dare), this is a huge upgrade. After a few hours of tweaking and setting things up I am very pleased with this phone. Access to data anywhere is great, wifi is the same speed as with a normal computer (13mb down!). Great battery life for a Smart phone (2-3 days with my current usage). The build quality is great and I love the camera, blows my old 8mp canon powershot out of the water. I realize this is not a great comparison because of my previous outdated tech, but I have played with other smartphones too. The iphone is far too restrictive, boring, and not nearly as fast. BB's are too small. The X2 is a powerful and well made phone thus far (1 week). I'll update this after a month but I have a feeling this phone will be great for a while.
    DF2349 likes this.
    06-08-2011 05:18 PM
    I switched to the DX2 after I got a Thunderbolt and was having problems with the reboots. As soon as I got the DX2 and turned on the handset, I was appalled. Sure, the phone booted up quickly, but the screen is terrible! The colours are off, and it is no where near as clear and nice as the Thunderbolts screen regardless of the resolution. Icons, images and text have jagged edges, there is banding on almost every colour gradient, and when your viewing a solid coloured page, it looks like there is a grid pattern because of that Pentile technology Motorola uses. Hold this phone up next to an iPhone 4, Thunderbolt or Droid Charge and there is no contest, the Dx2 fails. Maybe it's not so bad for some people, but I noticed it immediately and it made the phone useless. Returned, went back to Thunderbolt.

Also, there is a significant amount of ghosting (trailing) on the screen when scrolling, and although it feels snappy going in and out of apps, and browsing the web, scrolling through lists or the home screen is laggy. Lastly, when you press the power button (or a hardware button) to activate the screen, there is a slight delay. Not a big deal, except that sometimes I ended up pressing it twice to make sure I'd pressed it at all, and the screen would flick on and back off again. Annoying.
    06-14-2011 12:33 AM
    I switched to the DX2 after I got a Thunderbolt and was having problems with the reboots. As soon as I got the DX2 and turned on the handset, I was appalled. Sure, the phone booted up quickly, but the screen is terrible! The colours are off, and it is no where near as clear and nice as the Thunderbolts screen regardless of the resolution. Icons, images and text have jagged edges, there is banding on almost every colour gradient, and when your viewing a solid coloured page, it looks like there is a grid pattern because of that Pentile technology Motorola uses. Hold this phone up next to an iPhone 4, Thunderbolt or Droid Charge and there is no contest, the Dx2 fails. Maybe it's not so bad for some people, but I noticed it immediately and it made the phone useless. Returned, went back to Thunderbolt.

Also, there is a significant amount of ghosting (trailing) on the screen when scrolling, and although it feels snappy going in and out of apps, and browsing the web, scrolling through lists or the home screen is laggy. Lastly, when you press the power button (or a hardware button) to activate the screen, there is a slight delay. Not a big deal, except that sometimes I ended up pressing it twice to make sure I'd pressed it at all, and the screen would flick on and back off again. Annoying.
    I have both the t-bolt and DROID x2 and the x2 screen has brighter whites and deeper blacks... Placed side by side and the t-bolt whites look dirty or sandy. there's even a youtube video on it aswell but everyone got diff eyes and opinions but I like the x2 display.
    DF2349 likes this.
    06-16-2011 10:16 PM
    everyone got diff eyes and opinions
    Some of these screens do seem to take time for the eyes to adjust. I had a similar problem when I switched monitors and also when I switched from an eris to a d2. At first the eris screen looked warm and easy on the eyes, and the d2 seemed buzzy and harsh. I switched back and forth, but finally gave the d2 full-time and now it seems fine. Looking at the eris hurts now LOL.
    DF2349 likes this.
    06-17-2011 09:57 AM
    What kind of 3g speeds are you folks seeing with this phone..are some of you seeing 2-3 down?
    06-18-2011 09:10 PM
    After reading a bit about the pentile screen, I went to take another look at the dx2. I can see what the issue is.

Thing is, i'd rather put up with the pentile screen than the oversaturated colors of the samsung screen. I find it amusing that people can complain about colors on the dx2, yet love the samsung charge, which has horrendously oversaturated colors.

I'm hoping the D3 will have the same resolution as the dx2 but with a smaller screen, making the pentile dots less noticeable.
    DF2349 likes this.
    06-18-2011 11:53 PM
    Howdy everyone,

The purpose of this thread, is to hear members thoughts & opinions on how the Motorola Droid X2 stacks up amongst a suggested list of attributes:
    Aesthetics
    Screen
    Hardware
    Phone - including bluetooth & speakerphone usage
    Overall User Interface (including Motoblur)
    Widgets
    Signal quality (Compared to other devices)
    GPS
    Social Networking
    Email/Calendar
    Battery Life
    Performance
    Media (music, movies, DLNA)
    Keyboard's
    Camera (both still & video)
    How the Droid X2 compares to your previous smartphone (if applicable)
    Disappointments (if any)

Feel free to provide as little or as much detail as possible, while trying to make it as useful as possible. Hopefully this will help others who are considering the Droid X2, but would like to hear some user feedback first. Also, please do not review the Droid X2 prior to having one

And if you read a review that you found helpful, please use the Thanks button to show them your appreciation!
    video player sucks seriously i was so disappointed
    it plays youtube video FINE
    but when i put videos from my computer (avi files)
    it definitely cannot handle 720p
    and lags on 420p as well, so basically i can't watch movies or whatever over 420p
    which kinda destroys the purpose of HDMI out.

other than that, it is fantastic
    but again my main purpose of this phone was to watch movies on big screens...
    if i knew this before buying it, i wouldve gone with other 4g phone..
    06-19-2011 09:44 AM
    What kind of 3g speeds are you folks seeing with this phone..are some of you seeing 2-3 down?
    Where im at in Pittsburgh pa im getting 1.7 to 2.1 mbps down and .7 to .9 mbps up
    z71kris likes this.
    06-19-2011 03:31 PM
    So far so good with the X2.

Pros-
    Very responsive. Multi-tasking a breeze; the dual-core is noticable.
    Great battery life.
    Beautiful Display
    Nice form factor

Cons:
    Crap camera, honestly. Crap with a click.
    Obvious issues with rebooting and weird audio noises.
    Locked Bootloader and slow on ROM dev
    DF2349 likes this.
    06-19-2011 11:11 PM
    *delete
    06-20-2011 10:29 AM
    i liked the X and thought i would love the X2. Figured a great phone with better hardware would be better right?

This phone isn't bad. But it really isn't a significant upgrade. Not until the OS catches up with the hardware. At this point only 3rd party apps can take advantage of the dual core processor. The actual android OS cannot and supposedly will not till Ice Cream Sandwich. So it will be at least a year most likely more till the OS is supercharged like I was expecting.

All in all its basically the X with an updated version of blur. Minus the camera button...don't get that but whatever.
    DF2349 likes this.
    07-05-2011 04:03 PM
    very pleased with my X2! love the screen, very bright and a breeze to see outside. loved the form factor of the X so the X2 obviously is good since it didnt really change lol. cant really compare the speed boost of the dual core but will be playing with my moms charge and sisters iphone to see if mine is really faster. HATE MOTOBLUR!! it adds unnecessary lag when scrolling through the homescreens... has been decreased since deleating some picture widget that syncs with facebook and all other accounts like that. the keyboard is great absolutely love it, coming from a physical, he transition is very easy, and the autocorrect works 99% flawlessly.

all in all very pleased with my X2, glad i bought it
    DF2349 likes this.
    07-07-2011 12:43 AM
    Got a DX2 last week to upgrade from my DX with a failing digitizer and it's definitey a mixed bag:

DX2 Pros:
    -Pentile screen kinda sucks but I can live with it just because it's qHD. The extra pixels are definitely appreciated.
    -Screen is definitely easier to use in direct sunlight than the DX
    -Touchscreem seems more responsive and accurate (when it's not lagging, of course)
    -PHENOMENAL for gaming compared to every other smartphone I've ever used. I am worried about buying too many THD games and not able to utilize them on my next device (SGSII or Droid Bionic, for example)
    -Formfactor is still fine with me. Great build quality, feels even tighter than my DX
    -Being able to use my existing DX accessories is a huge plus for me
    -Screen is SO much brighter than my DX. I also like the extra anti-glare coating they have applied to it.
    -Battery life seems a tiny little bit better than my DX when on standby but it goes down faster when using it extensively. Hopefully GB will improve this.
    -Earpiece & speakerphone volume is considerably louder than DX but still gets a bit distored when volume is at the max

DX2 Cons:
    -No Gingerbread anywhere in sight. I have a feeling the DX2 is not going to see GB for a LOONG time if ever.
    -The GingerBlur-ified Froyo on the DX2 seems even laggier than the DX's Froyo and is definitey laggier than the DX's GB. Tons of little bugs and glitches are present as well. Somethimes this phone is unbelievable fast and other times it lags like a first-gen Android device. Unacceptable performance considering the power of Tegra2!
    -Camera is DEFINITELY worse than the DX in every aspect other than the speed of the continuous focus mode. Color reproduction is FAR worse, flash is weaker, and low-light performance is even worse than the DX. Video recording, when it doesn't lock up or crash, is a bit smoother in very bright lighting but otherwise seems more succeptible to compression errors, artifacting etc.
    -RF performance seems a tad worse than my DX. I end up in 1x mode when at home/work in situations where I'd still have had a good 3G signal on my DX. As a result, the DX2 also tends to run a bit hotter than the DX.
    -DX2 seemingly takes longer to charge via USB or AC than the DX did. The battery status also doesn't update while it is charging.

My verdict? If this thing was running stock Gingerbread it'd be superb. It it had stock GB and a non-Pentile screen it would be THE 3G Android device to have. As it stands right now, it's a decent device and is one or two major firmware updates from being a good device. Its hardware shortcomings will NOT allow it to be an excellent device, however.

I just cannot help but think that the DX2 is going to be the odd man out in Moto's 2011 lineup and not see much (if any) attention from Moto, VZW or the user community.
    bhcohen7 and DF2349 like this.
    07-08-2011 02:56 PM
    update. Have had the phone now for a couple weeks, starting to really frustrate me! The keyboard has some massive lag in it a lot of the time. Takes seconds after pressing the power button to come on(from stand by).receiving multiple text from people (averaging 5-6 now). Downloads from android market work sometimes then don't others. A live wallpaper makes my phone extremely slow scrolling through homescreens and now just recently the notifications have been working sometimes and not doing anything others, and the force closes on just about every app at some time are driving me insane. I am starting to really get frustrated and am very close to rooting my phone to get rid of all the BS even though I have little idea what I am doing...

*My phone just shut off while charging via USB and when it just decided to reboot it had a different wallpaper then when it shut off. and it just happened again! WTF

something else that is also very frustrating is that there are two other smartphone's in the house a Droid Charge and an iphone. Right now the Charge is rebooting itself every couple minutes and getting stuck in a reboot then frozen reboot freeze, making it about unusable, the iphone hasn't failed yet, has done everything it was supposed to with out a hiccup. I want to love everything about android but with simple things like this that can't be fixed just frustrates the crap out of me.
    DF2349 likes this.
    07-19-2011 02:18 AM
    and now that it has shut off again it wont turn back on yet has the stupid green notification light continually on when before it shut off said it was dead and had only been charging for a matter of minutes.
    07-19-2011 02:20 AM
    Just got my Droid X2 coming from a Droid Incredible. I've had the phone for 3 days now. In a nutshell, it's a huge disappointment. The hardware is pretty good -- I like the overall build quality, screen size, and screen brightness. I'm not crazy about the camera and the color reproduction on the screen, but those are by no means dealbreakers. Also not crazy about a locked bootloader, but I could live with that if the stock software were good.

But therein lies the problem. The software on this phone is pathetically slow and laggy. In most respects it feels slower than my DInc running CyanogenMod 7. Just so I'm clear, I'm not using any task managers or launchers. I did try ADW to see if it helped, and I feel like it did to an extent, but ultimately took it off to save battery. I'm also using only one clock widget.

In short, the DX2 is going back, and I might be done with Android forever once the new iPhone comes out. I'm not happy about this, because I love Android, but it is incredibly frustrating and disappointing to have a brand new phone that feels like a step backward from the DInc. I blame this almost entirely on the Motoblur UI. With stock Gingerbread, the phone probably cooks, but I'm not willing to wait for that. I expected much more from my first Motorola phone, and now have major doubts about the Bionic considering it will probably have a locked bootloader, same washed out pentile screen and Motoblur. What a shame.
    07-20-2011 11:34 AM
    Got DX2 after DX was crippled by GB upgrade.

DX2 is no faster than DX and its display is worse. The pentile display is pixelated and diagonal lines are jagged at normal viewing distance. Close up it looks even worse.

Terrible display!
    07-21-2011 01:52 PM
    My Review:

Slow, Slow, Slow,

Powers itself on and off at least twice a day, have done 5 hard resets,

did I say slow.

Time from dialing a call to call being placed: timed: 27 seconds.

Did I say 5 hard resets.

As far as I am concerned it is a big piece of fertilizer.

or is it just me...
    07-28-2011 01:17 PM
    My Review:

Slow, Slow, Slow,

or is it just me...
    Nope, definitely not. I think you summed it up pretty well.
    08-01-2011 03:18 PM
    So here is my assessment/review of the Droid X2. I'm going to use the format set out by author of this thread for ease of reading. My previous phone was a Samsung Fascinate & if anyone isn't aware of the recent history of that phone, or it's long troubled history overall, jump over there & be thankful you've not had those problems with ANY Motorola device that I'm aware of.

Aesthetics - The build quality is excellent. Weighing in at about 5.5 oz with a nice soft touch metal feel gives confidence this phone won't break if you touch it. A very different feel than the cheap glossy plastic used on the Fascinate

Screen - This will take some getting used to. I dearly loved the Super Amoled screen on my Fascinate. This pen tile screen is nowhere near as sharp or colorful. The dots aren't really bothering me however & it is clear & visible in direct sunlight. That I do like

Hardware - It's dual core & I can certainly tell the difference between this & the Fascinate. There is no lag in my phone that I can tell although others have complained

Phone - including bluetooth & speakerphone usage - Never had any issues with Verizon's network, til the bad software update on my Fascinate . Happy to report the X2 is fine. The noise canceling mics truly impress & my Jawbone Icon works great including A2DP

Overall User Interface (including Motoblur) - I'm not a particular fan of custom skins. Touchwiz on the Fascinate was just terrible to look at. I can live with Motoblur so far

Widgets - I'm really liking the re-sizable widgets on the X2. A very nice touch from Moto

Signal quality (Compared to other devices) - My data connection is way stronger on here than the Fascinate ever was . I barely managed a consistant 1 bar on the fascinate. No such problem here as it's a steady 4 bars

GPS - The GPS on the Fascinate was horrific. This one is just fine & locks on in a snap

Social Networking - I've not had time to play around much with them so it's probably a take it or leave it feature

Email/Calendar - The calender widget is very good. Email is email so probably a wash. the unified inbox is a nice touch however

Battery Life - Haven't had time to really get a feel for it. It does have a nice battery management tool built in so +1

Performance - Great so far. No lag to speak of & apps open/close instantly

Media (music, movies, DLNA) - I've only used the music player so far & it's plenty loud

Keyboard's - I'm a fan of Swype so I'm happy it's included here

Camera (both still & video) - I'm a little disappointed with the camera. Pics are washed out even under good lighting. Could be operator error so YMMV

How the Droid X2 compares to your previous smartphone (if applicable) - Most of the above covers a good comparison between this & the Fascinate. Of which there really isn't any. I've always had solid, well designed phones from Moto & this appears no different

Disappointments (if any) - The boot loader is locked so there will be little custom Roms made for this . Coming from the Fascinate whose very existence depended on custom Roms (Verizon/Samsung neglected the poor phone as is very well known ) I'll have to learn to live with less. But I'll trade all of that for a phone that works like a phone should for it's primary purpose... That being to make & receive calls.

Overall I'm quite happy with this phone & look forwarding to seeing how the community embraces it. It is still fairly new so it takes time for customization to happen. If all else fails I get to keep my original upgrade in May so who knows what Androids could be on shelves by then .
    DF2349 likes this.
    08-03-2011 11:41 AM
    Im going to give an initial review on my DX2 since I have only had my hands on it for the las 7hrs. I am coming from the elegant and somewhat challenged world of the Fascinate. I am also only playing with a non-activated x2 that is a refurb.

Speed: Haven't noticed the touted lag, in fact the dx2 came loaded with 2.2 and seems to run faster than my rooted debloated fascinate. I can't say if this is due to is not yet being activated, but scrolling through screen, loading and running apps and browsing are all as quick or quicker than my fascinate. Im going to mention this for fun but quadrant scores for my Fascinate were generally between 900-1200 ( was only ever higher back on 2.1 before May this year) while the dx2 was getting 2600-2900. I know this means little cause all the fps on the fassy were atleast 40 or higher (dx2 about 35) and the 3d renderings just seemed to pop on the Fass, but that has a lot to do with the amoled screen.

Screen: Now I have to say, in my opinion, the quality of the qHD display is very acceptable. I have to compare the fassy and dx2 screens side by side only to decide either the amoled screen was too colorful or the qHD screen was slightly duller than the fascinate. The pixels on the qHD display can sometimes be jagged but only with small details, like the back and fins on my dolphin web browser icon. But I think this appearent poor screen quality occurs with certain shapes, or more likely certain graphics such as a particular icon. I say this because I've read text of different styles on web pages and they all couldn't be sharper and more accurate, even as tiny fonts.

Camera: Setting both cameras to max resolution, they both do great with flash and sufficient light. The real test was in low light, with no flash, and at first the fascinate out performed with better colored and sharper pics for those conditions. However, setting the exposure to 1 (not 2 as that made things worse) on the DX2 the pics were of nearly equal quality in color and clarity. This is reassuring since the fassy always had great quality pics for the 5mp camera.

Bluetooth: Happy to learn it has HID support, something that the fascinate did not and would not be expected to have. I am typing this out with a very portable bluetooth keyboard (zippy bt-500) on the DX2 now!

GPS/WIFI: Both are excellent. The wifi connection is much stronger than my fascinate for the same network and at the same distances away. The gps quality is what really makes me happy. I almost never used gps on the fascinate because is took too long to lock on, if at all. Usually I couldn't ever get a lock even outside with clear sky. Now with the DX2 I get a quick lock while sitting in my house and the direction is accurate too!

Perhaps more to come later....
    DF2349 likes this.
    08-05-2011 04:20 AM
    Coming from my bb storm2, Im overwhelmed right now... Nuff said for now will update later!

Edit: just flashed back to froyo and rooted, took a minute but got it. Got rid of all the crap. Phone been running good, except the audio playback. Which sucks but coming from a bb I am loving this phone. One thing, does anyone know a good app for led customizing?
    08-16-2011 09:57 PM
    So far so good with the X2.

Pros-
    Very responsive. Multi-tasking a breeze; the dual-core is noticable.
    Great battery life.
    Beautiful Display
    Nice form factor

Cons:
    Crap camera, honestly. Crap with a click.
    Obvious issues with rebooting and weird audio noises.
    Locked Bootloader and slow on ROM dev
    You're having camera issues? The camera on my x2 is spot on. I have no problems taking pics in low lighting conditions or any condition at all.
    DF2349 likes this.
    08-21-2011 08:39 AM
79 1234