Will the Navi/Google Maps on my Droid work in Mexico

BlackBarryNewb

Jul 17, 2011
Visit site
Hello all. I will be going on a road trip to Mexico and I was wondering if I will be able to use the GPS on the droid to guide me to my destination. I notice that all the streets and locations are shown when I look at the map however, I've never actually attempted to use the GPS while in Mexico.

projektorboy

Jul 21, 2011
Visit site
Unless your phone somehow is able to pull a data connection, you will NOT be able to do this. The Motorola Droid is a CDMA-only device, and will be unable to connect to the cellular networks, if any, in Mexico that are GSM.

This is a situation where a dedicated GPS device will have an advantage. Phones as GPS guides are only as reliable as the data connection that they have access to.

takeshi

Jan 27, 2010
Visit site
Google Maps Nav isn't the only GPS nav app for Android.

If you need locally stored maps on your device (to navigate without data) then look into Copilot and Navigon.

Hello all. I will be going on a road trip to Mexico and I was wondering if I will be able to use the GPS on the droid to guide me to my destination.
This is a situation where a dedicated GPS device will have an advantage. Phones as GPS guides are only as reliable as the data connection that they have access to.
GPS receivers don't need data (or else stand alone GPS units would be useless as well without data). Data requirements come from the GPS app, not the GPS receiver.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akbarramadhani12