Newbie on the fence

DougFNJ

Nov 4, 2009
Visit site
Hello all, first post :D

I currently have a Blackberry Storm 2 that I purchased on release day. I like the build quality and the screen, but I have to say the OS is getting a bit outdated for me, and although the virtual keyboard is much improved over Storm 1, I still get enough errors that it gets annoying having to proofread what I typed and edit a long email using 1/4 of the screen to scroll through. Sometimes it takes longer to edit the typos then it took to write the whole message. I am sure there are some that could relate. I am also growing a bit bored with the Blackberry Platform, I like learning on new platforms so long as they are stable.

I come from a long line of devices and I remember enjoying the Palm platform WAY more than the old Windows platform. I would had enjoyed and looked forward to learning the old Windows pocket PC's That OS was so buggy, and the battery wouldn't last me half a day. I am REALLY hoping this will not be the case with the Droid.

So with all that said, I am certainly not here to bash Blackberry, it has served me well for many years, I am just looking for something a little newer and fresher.

My main concerns that will tip me in keeping the Storm or moving to the Droid are as follows:

How is that physical keyboard? I tried a dummy unit in a Best Buy, I could see myself using it (I have large hands, I think that helps) but the dummy version had ridiculously stiff keys, so I didn't get a proper feel of it...unless of course it IS that stiff, then my decision will be made right then and there. Although it's not shaped like many others, I have been hearing such a varying amount of reviews on it, I really have to try it to get the feeling for myself. That is my biggest concern. I can use virtual keyboards for small amounts of input, but I prefer physical keyboards for my main input.

Stability, from all reviews, it looks like it is not lacking there, my only concern here that I have heard in a few reviews is occasional lag. I am guessing this is due to multitasking? Does the user have the ability to exit out of programs if they are intensive enough to lag the system a bit, or does the system already take care of that automatically?

I have gmail, so it sounds like push email will work perfect for me, is it safe to assume I could use Outlook 2007 to synch everything up on the device?

My last concern once again regarding the keyboard is I have heard a number of reports of the keyboard closing while your typing? Is this just a couple of devices, or does it not keep the screen above the keyboard firmly enough?

Thanks in advance for any input.....a lot of this thread is just me thinking out loud :) I will definitely be visiting here ALOT leading up to Fridays release, and if all goes well, hopefully I will be here for a long time to come.

hatch.duffy

Nov 2, 2009
Visit site
It does support Outlook Exchange. I am coming off a long line of BlackBerries as well. My latest is the 9530. I went and checked out the Storm 2 and while it is a vast improvement in my opinion, it's just a little too late I think. The BB OS needs some major work to compete in the market. more business users like myself are also looking for that consumer appeal as well as being able to take care of business. My important accounts are exhange and gmail so I won't lose anything there. I say go for it! I will say I will miss BBM but that's about it. The Droid will do everything that I needed on my berry as well as just offering a cooler touchscreen experience. and you can't beat that google navigation app for FREE!

DougFNJ

Nov 4, 2009
Visit site
Thanks for the reply Hatch :D

That Google Map Navi will be saving me $10/month right off the bat as I have used Telenav or Verizon Nav for a few years.

I understand it's supporting Outlook Exchange, I was curious if it would support my Personal Outlook on my personal Laptop? That's where I keep all my contacts and calendars. I would prefer to use the OTA Google stuff as a backup, not a main resource.

BBM is nice, but no big deal to lose as I only have 5 contacts in there, Texting will work just as well :)

Nov 2, 2009
Visit site
I too, am moving from a blackberry to the droid. I looked at the storm2 and it felt kinda cheap, compared to the storm. I downloaded the emulator to play around with the os and it seems pretty good. I also enjoy figuring out new oss.

Adiliyo

Oct 17, 2009
Visit site
man, after seeing a browser speed comparison b/t the S2 and the Droid, I was really glad I didn't jump on the S2 when it came out...

CSSVT

Nov 2, 2009
Visit site
Wow! I can't believe how many people are jumping ship from the S2 to the Droid!

I myself am moving from the Storm (original) as long as I can get someone to hook me up with a deal (I have a few Verizon contacts). (My main issue is that the Storm1 seems like it was checked by the same quality control guys as McDonalds toys seeing as I'm on number 4 and needing a 5th)

Looking here and other android places it's becoming apparent that this thing may hurt RIM enough to make them finally change for the good. :)

R

Roy Aguilera

Doesnt surprise me to see this happening. The S2 is just a polished up S1. Nothing really special there.

Brianh23

Nov 5, 2009
Visit site
I just switched from AT&T and went with S2 as well, but very disappointed! Don't get me wrong, I've had several BB, but like DougFNJ said, the OS is just outdated. I use my Browser and email a lot! Since I have gmail, looks like I'll be ok on the email side. Long story short, can't wait to get my Droid tomorrow!!

DougFNJ

Nov 4, 2009
Visit site
getting excited

I have to say I am starting to get really excited about this. I have been reading more and more reviews, I don't think I have ever seen more positive reviews for a brand new release since iPhone :D

I am thinking I may wake up a little earlier tomorrow and get this done before I go to work. I am hoping for not so long lines and fairly quick service.

I wirelessly synched my Outlook and BBerry to Google Synch last night, I am guessing it should take care of everything wirelessly from there?

I am just crossing my fingers that the keys on this keyboard are not ridiculously firm like the dummy unit I played with in Best Buy, if they are nice and easy to press, I will be a convert

Last edited:

jonnytbegood

Nov 6, 2009
Visit site
Made the switch last night from the S2 to the Droid....not gonna lie I really enjoyed my S2 for the couple days i had it but like so many have said it's too little too late....maybe our jumping ship will light a fire under RIM's a** n we'll have a real competitor next year : ) Until then it's GooGle Droid for me!!!

bmderuosi

Nov 6, 2009
Visit site
I had the Storm 1 and made the decision this morning to either go Storm 2 or droid. The only thing I will miss on the Storm is BBM. The storm 2 was just a storm 1 with more memory and this droid so far has been almost more than I deal with (in a good way). If you are just a gmail user this phone is great; the gmail has been flawless for me so far.

raremage

Nov 5, 2009
Visit site
...My main concerns that will tip me in keeping the Storm or moving to the Droid are as follows:

How is that physical keyboard? I tried a dummy unit in a Best Buy, I could see myself using it (I have large hands, I think that helps) but the dummy version had ridiculously stiff keys, so I didn't get a proper feel of it...unless of course it IS that stiff, then my decision will be made right then and there. Although it's not shaped like many others, I have been hearing such a varying amount of reviews on it, I really have to try it to get the feeling for myself. That is my biggest concern. I can use virtual keyboards for small amounts of input, but I prefer physical keyboards for my main input.
So far, in limited use (since I got mine today) the keyboard is fine, but will take some getting used-to. It is a different feel from many other keyboards, since it is a grid and not angled. However, the knocks I have been reading on the keyboard are, to me at least, greatly overstated.

Stability, from all reviews, it looks like it is not lacking there, my only concern here that I have heard in a few reviews is occasional lag. I am guessing this is due to multitasking? Does the user have the ability to exit out of programs if they are intensive enough to lag the system a bit, or does the system already take care of that automatically?
System seems stable, not seeing any lag to speak of so far. I haven't found ways to exit /close anything yet though other than the Nav app.
I have gmail, so it sounds like push email will work perfect for me, is it safe to assume I could use Outlook 2007 to synch everything up on the device?
I think you may be looking at it the wrong way (OR: I am misinterpretting). You don't really sync with your desktop applications; you sync over the air for email. If you have contacts and whatnot in Outlook, I think the best way to get them across would be to sync 'em to your Google account, then they will flow to the Droid automatically.

There does not appear to be a way to easily sync directly from Outlook to Droid; however, as someone else stated, EAS is supported as well as other common mail protocols (i.e., IMAP and POP3)
My last concern once again regarding the keyboard is I have heard a number of reports of the keyboard closing while your typing? Is this just a couple of devices, or does it not keep the screen above the keyboard firmly enough?
Have not seen this at all. What I have done a couple of times is accidently adjust the ringer volume when opening the slider, but it clicks firmly into place (open or closed) and the action is smooth.

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
one01