VZW Screen Protector

jlank

Nov 2, 2009
Visit site
Did anybody buy the VZW screen protector? I did and can't stand it. It seem so thick that my screen seems to have lost some sensitivity. I going to give it thru this evening and if it still seems crappy I'm going to pull it off. Is the screen glass or not, it feels like plastic to me but I don't know. Thanks for any info.

Ret.Lt-SA

Nov 6, 2009
Visit site
That screen protector is a "privacy" one so people can't see your screen from any angle. It is thicker because of that. See if you can adjust the screen sensitivity settings to compensate for it.

Adiliyo

Oct 17, 2009
Visit site
I had one on my storm for about a week, I could never get it on perfect and the bubble I got under it drove me insane.

They had this tacky feel that didn't feel as nice as the raw glass.

The droid has a glass screen, its going to be hard to scratch it.

punjabimt

Nov 6, 2009
Visit site
I bought one and had them install it. It went on fine, but the sensitivity sucked. I also bought a snap case which is fine, except it disables the phone from fitting into the dock I bought. I can see they didn't really think through their accessories =/

tdawgui

Oct 28, 2009
Visit site
Adjust your sensitivity... I bought one. I haven't installed it, but the guys at the verizon store said they had to adjust their sensitivity...

I'll try is soon and let you know...

...wow... can't believe I have the best phone eVAR :D

rrife

Nov 6, 2009
Visit site
I had one on my storm for about a week, I could never get it on perfect and the bubble I got under it drove me insane.

They had this tacky feel that didn't feel as nice as the raw glass.

The droid has a glass screen, its going to be hard to scratch it.

The secret to applying them is to go into a bathroom, turn on a hot shower and fill the room with some steam, this will remove dust from the air. Turn on the vent or open the door/window to get the steam out (don't want the water sensor on the battery changing colors). When applying the screen protector slowly apply about 1/4" on top (or bottom) and with a towel or cloth wrapped around your finger move it back and forth quickly across the screen, slowly pushing more of the protector on the screen....you should spend about 2-3 minutes applying the screen, any faster and you'll have bubbles. If you do it right (slowly), it should be nearly invisible on the device.

Also, I think the Droid, like the Storm, has a plastic coating on the glass screen that can be easily scratched.

R

Roy Aguilera

I don't use them. Hate that they collect lint with time.

Adokimus

Nov 6, 2009
Visit site
Getting the protector to line up correctly with the slightly raised edge of the case took a few tries. I have not adjusted sensitivity and touch response seems to be working fine.

tdawgui

Oct 28, 2009
Visit site
Getting the protector to line up correctly with the slightly raised edge of the case took a few tries. I have not adjusted sensitivity and touch response seems to be working fine.

Thanks! I've been playing with it too much to take the time to put the protector on yet... gonna do it soon tho

bmderuosi

Nov 6, 2009
Visit site
I never found them, but I searched and found a lot of people with problems with that protector...I'm just taking it back and getting a thinner non-privacy one.

I tried to take mine back and get something different but they wouldn't let me get anything but the same screen protector. They said it was the only thing in the store that can not be returned after being used, only be replaced with the same item... hope you have better luck.

I didn't even ask for a different kind of protector (not sure if they had one or not). No more trips to the Verizon store for me 3 is enough for one day.

Last edited:

isleshocky77

Nov 6, 2009
Visit site
Just wanted to not I got the screen protector, not the privacy shield and love it. You can't even tell it's on there. Someone actually commented "You don't have a screen protector on this?!?" It works perfectly and I highly recommend it.

raremage

Nov 5, 2009
Visit site
I got the screen protector as well, but it kept peeling up, plus there's something more appealing to the glass as designed from a tactile perspective - so I peeled it off and the Droid is going bareback for the moment.

Is there a way to adjust the screen sensitivity...???

I looked but have not found anywhere yet. Maybe there's a way to change the setting from a rooted command line?

pack7483#AC

Nov 7, 2009
Visit site
I made the mistake of letting the verizon rep talk me into the privacy protector. That is 10 bucks I pissed away. I had it tore off before I got out of the parking lot. This thing has TOO nice a screen to hide behind thick window tint. What are people using to carry or protect their DROIDS? I bought the body glove snap on cover, but it is going back monday. You can't dock it with it on, and I almost snapped the cover off of the phone trying to get it off.

chrislitzkow

Nov 6, 2009
Visit site
I bought the Verizon (Non-privacy) screen protectors, which in my area were a 3-Pack for $12.99. Had perfect success with the application, and the protector is completely invisible. Touch sensitivity is exactly the same as without it. I have done many screen protectors and they do take a certain "technique" to get them to go on perfect (and stay on). Here is what I do:

1. Wash and dry your hands to remove as much oil as possible.

2. Work in a well lit environment (kitchen table for me).

3. Have a credit card out and handy.

4. Clean your device using the provided cleaning cloth. Make sure there is not a single speck of dust, dirt, lint, etc.

5. Remove the "STEP 1" bottom protection mask. The film is stiff enough that you can hold it from the edges similar to how you'd hold a DVD. DO NOT TOUCH the sticky side at all!

6. Start at the top (near the speaker opening) and very carefully line up that edge, allowing only a 1/4" or so to actually stick down. At this point you are eye-balling things and can still easily pull up that little section and realign if needed.

7. With the short side of the credit card, start at the top (where you have the 1/4" stuck down) and now follow it all the way down the phone with steady, even pressure. Sticking down the rest of the screen protector.

8. Using the credit card still, start in the middle and of the screen and smooth air bubbles (there shouldn't be very many) towards the edges. Work your way from the middle towards each edge until things look totally clear.

9. Carefully remove the "STEP 2" masking, making sure that the screen protector is not coming up with it-- and don't worry if you suddendly see a few bubbles.

10. repeat the credit card smoothing process from the middle to the edges until all bubbles are gone. Use your hands as well in the end to firmly press every inch. If there are any stubborm "micro-bubbles", press down on them directly with your thumb and let the heat from your thumb warm the plastic film a bit... this usually makes them disappear.

At this point you should have a totally invisible, long lasting protector in place.

mikedigital

Nov 9, 2009
Visit site
I bought the privacy guard with the phone and spent about ten minutes making sure it was on perfectly. Then I drove to work and played with the phone in the parking lot and I couldn't do anything. It took me about 10 tries to unlock the phone and viewing notifications was impossible. Needless to say, I took it back after work and got the 3 pack of clear protectors and haven't looked back. So long as that glorious screen is protected by something I couldn't care what people see that I'm doing.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
szcad