Can Motorola overclock the Droid?

acidsamuraix

Nov 20, 2009
Visit site
Basically, we all know and have read reports about the Droid being plenty stable at 1GHz+ without losing too much battery life. Some of us, like me, are unwilling to mess with the phone to that degree, no matter how easy it is, it's simply a hassle.

Anyway, if They dropped options from 2.1 like the extra screens or 3-D app drawer (like the ones in Helix2 which i use) for reasons like slowness, would it be a possibility that they could raise the stock clock speed for later releases (2.2+) to have the phone scale with the OS? helix2 is very nice, but with a live wallpaper as well, my phone does lag quite a bit more than stock home screen.

Granted, allowing us to keep our phones instead of upgrade is a negative for companies trying to sell more phones, but I think it'd be really cool if they upped the proc speed in the update to 2.2 (if and whenever that may be), and really showed how great and scalable the Droid can be.

R

Roy Aguilera

The updated the render scripts which should speed up the phone. However I highly doubt Moto will overclock the chip.

acidsamuraix

Nov 20, 2009
Visit site
Yeah, I figured it'd be a liability with cooking the chips and whatnot, or heat in general. Aren't the chips underclocked right now though? I thought the stock cpu was actually faster and they underclocked for battery life, but I could be wrong on that one.

I also wish we could just OC with an app instead of loading different builds and whatnot.

G

GenericMessage

I am sure they can. But we all know they're capable of UNDER-clocking it, since they did.......

Brett

Retired Moderator
Nov 22, 2009
Visit site
it's been done. root it then install overclock cpu or sumthin

He said he doesn't want to mess with it himself. It is understandable but you could over clock to 700 and I don't think it would jury your phone. I mean the choice is yours and I'm sure you have good reason to be concerned.

If Motorola ocerclocked the processor they would have to replace every phone that broke because I know Verizon wouldn't pay for it.

Pipester

Apr 24, 2010
Visit site
Yeah, what they all said, plus I have to tell you, I think over-clocking is a bit overrated. To me running a 1GHz kernel on Cyanogen just seemed really jumpy. For instance while playing Jewels sometimes the video had trouble keeping up with the audio and it actually felt more laggy. I put the stock kernel (600MHz limited to 550MHz) back in and it just seemed to work a lot better. Now, I'm Running BB with the 600MHz and it's running real nice.

GivenToFly

Dec 30, 2009
www.apexautosound.com
Yeah, what they all said, plus I have to tell you, I think over-clocking is a bit overrated. To me running a 1GHz kernel on Cyanogen just seemed really jumpy. For instance while playing Jewels sometimes the video had trouble keeping up with the audio and it actually felt more laggy. I put the stock kernel (600MHz limited to 550MHz) back in and it just seemed to work a lot better. Now, I'm Running BB with the 600MHz and it's running real nice.

I'm going to half agree with you on this. My Droid is at 1ghz, and for actual phone functions, (menus, loading, animations, etc) it's much faster and smoother.

But when I play any games, Abuction world attack being my favorite, I've noticed that being overclocked has dramatically reduced the performance of the game. it's jumpy, and seems to stutter at points. I've only seen this issue on games though, where there is lots of motion, or heavy processing going on.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
roshanchoudhary