How often do you think they will update the Droid phone software?

richpjr#AC

Nov 6, 2009
Visit site
Coming from the Storm world, there were lots of leaked versions and several official versions of the software that slowly fixed some of the trash the phone shipped with. Clearly Verizon will have the final say on what is release and w hen, but never having experienced anything in the Android world, I have no idea what to expect. Do any "leaked" updates ever make it out in the Android world?

p4tr1ck

Nov 4, 2009
Visit site
not to sure about leaked. verizon does have a say but I think google has a bigger say... I would think updates would come when needed.

Jerry Hildenbrand

Space Cowboy
Staff member
Oct 11, 2009
Visit site
Google releases the software to Moto (and everyone else). Moto then releases the software to Verizon. Verizon then releases it to you. Just like a BB....except, eventually you'll be able to root the phone and load whatever you like whenever you like.

largeselection

Nov 4, 2009
Visit site
Yea that will be a welcome change. Then I won't have to play that game of "Do I risk losing stability and increasing bugginess for the sake of a slightly improved experience" Then checking the forums to see if the leak bricked anyone's phone, then trying it and posting my observations, only to get a new "leak" in a few weeks.

Sooks

Nov 3, 2009
Visit site
Google releases the software to Moto (and everyone else). Moto then releases the software to Verizon. Verizon then releases it to you. Just like a BB....except, eventually you'll be able to root the phone and load whatever you like whenever you like.

So how/when will rooting be avaiable , and what will allow us to do ? is it like a jailbreak for the iphone ? also , will it void my warrenty ?

Jerry Hildenbrand

Space Cowboy
Staff member
Oct 11, 2009
Visit site
So how/when will rooting be avaiable , and what will allow us to do ? is it like a jailbreak for the iphone ? also , will it void my warrenty ?

+1 to Sooks question. I'm still trying to get a handle on "rooting". I've researched it online a bit and I'm still a bit in the dark.
Close. To "jailbreak" your phones so you can DL software from somewhere other than the market is as simple as checking a box in menu>settings>Applications. Check use unknown sources, and you can install anything you would like.

Acces to the OS is a bit trickier -
Android runs on a Linux kernel. Apps all have permissions based on their user status. root is THE super-user on any Linux system, (s)he can do anything. An OTA software upgrade from your carrier will run as root. Once SOMEONE (hint hint Sprint...we're waiting) releases one, root is a given. Until then, people have to try to find an exploit in the linux kernel (difficult but possible) or an exploit in the manufacturer/carrier software that allows them to run a bit of code as root. Then they re-write that code so that it also gives access to the terminal as root. Blackra1n for iPhone and the goldcard for G1 are examples of this. On the CDMA Hero the process is close. There are several kernel exploits there and quite a few people are hard at it. I'd wager the Eris will crack at the same time, since they are basically the same device. Droid is a month or so behind since it's brand spanking new.

It will come, especially now that Vzw has flooded the market with great Android devices and more people have access to them.

Adiliyo

Oct 17, 2009
Visit site

that being said, the droid should get updates much quicker than something like the eris or the cliq since there is no skinned UI on top of android.

so we should get the updates essentially once google/moto has signed off on them, as there isn't much else to do for them to be compatible.

Jerry Hildenbrand

Space Cowboy
Staff member
Oct 11, 2009
Visit site
Thats the way I think as well. Other than testing and final QC before they put their name on it Moto and Vzw don't have to do anything.