I really want the Droid but am holding off to see the real world user reviews that are still coming in. I was one burned by S1 (I still have it). I waited in line on my 10th wedding anniversary to get one. I remember being anxious to get a BB with a touchscreen. Perused every forum I could find leading up to launch day.

I'm hesitant b/c I don't want to be let down again. I've used a BB for at least five years. Left to try the Moto Q and came back (I hate Windows devices mobile or desktop) and tried the iPhone and hated that too. Kept coming back to Blackberry.

I had my annual upgrade pushed up to now, very tempted to pick one up today but still not sure.
    11-07-2009 09:17 AM
    There is a world of difference between the BB S1 and the Android platform. The S1 was built on an OS that has been around for many years. It was not built on a platform that was designed for a touch screen device and therefore it has been a struggle to get it to where it is now. The Android is built on a platform that was designed to be a touch screen OS. Does it have quirks? You bet. But you find me any OS that doesnít. The Android 2.0 OS is a lot better than when the G1 was released only a year or so ago. And it is getting better all of the time. That is what makes an Open OS so good. I can tell you this. Coming from a person who does own an HTC Kaiser, iPhone, Storm 1 and Droid I can tell you the Droid feels like a polished device and thatís only going to keep improving.
    11-07-2009 09:30 AM
    I too was an S1 user from day one and endured the past year of leaks and tweaks to make it usable. After holding the Droid in hand trying it out in person, I had zero hesitation in getting it. I actually returned an S2 to get it. It brings a new game to vzw and it's just a fun device to use. In the first 24 hours it has performed exceptionally well.
    11-07-2009 09:34 AM
    Like i made the right choice. Got tired of waiting on bb to catch up.
    11-07-2009 10:35 AM
    the only situation in which i feel you would regret it and go back to BB is if you use your device A LOT for work.

as boring and antiquated the bbOS is, it's undeniably a workhorse.

but i think most people will be able to get by on android perfectly fine.

i say try it out, you have 30 days to decide
    11-07-2009 10:51 AM
    They're charging me a $20 annual upgrade fee as well as a $35 re-stocking fee should I return it. Plus the $35 activation fee. So there's a $90 loss if I don't like it.

One of my big issues with the Moto Q and iPhone was push email. Fortunately for me I use mainly Gmail accounts and can set up forwarding for those non-gmail accounts. Additionally, I don't rely on email as much as I used to. I actually have my email alerts on my Storm turned off. The only alerts I get are txt, phone calls and calendar.
    11-07-2009 11:09 AM
    I hope once the newness wears off I'll start to like it, but unless they fix Good Messaging, it has to go back. I don't know why it works on A1 and not A2.
    11-07-2009 11:12 AM
    Like i made the right choice. Got tired of waiting on bb to catch up.
    Not so much as I was waiting for BB to catch up, I knew they weren't trying to catch up and thats what got to me. They've been talkin about 5.0 for how long now? First it was gonna be released in the summer, then fall, now after Storm2. Well, all the "Crackheads" are still waiting on older devices and no love. And for what? A new BBM interface they had since July?

Catch up RIM, catch up.
    11-07-2009 11:13 AM
    They're charging me a $20 annual upgrade fee as well as a $35 re-stocking fee should I return it. Plus the $35 activation fee. So there's a $90 loss if I don't like it.

One of my big issues with the Moto Q and iPhone was push email. Fortunately for me I use mainly Gmail accounts and can set up forwarding for those non-gmail accounts. Additionally, I don't rely on email as much as I used to. I actually have my email alerts on my Storm turned off. The only alerts I get are txt, phone calls and calendar.
    i would venture a guess to say you will probably enjoy the device then
    11-07-2009 11:13 AM
    I would feel just as good as i do now , man this device rocks and is finially something that i look forward to using every day , the best thing about it , is once it is rooted then the newness will never wear off because you can do so much to the device it will all look new
    11-07-2009 11:17 AM
    I would feel just as good as i do now , man this device rocks and is finially something that i look forward to using every day , the best thing about it , is once it is rooted then the newness will never wear off because you can do so much to the device it will all look new
    I second this. Right now it's cool to explore the new device and find new tricks - but deeper than that 'nice new shine' there are underlying factors that make me expect this device to be a good one: the O/S is exceptionally solid in feel, and seems to be pretty solid in performance; improvements to the OS will continue to make the experience better; the display is amazing; the integration with gmail, which we use for our business communications, is excellent; and the marketplace will continue to grow, filling gaps as they are identified.

I'm very optimistic that the Droid will be an excellent device for the long term.
    11-07-2009 11:29 AM
    While it maybe true that you will continue to recieve updates to your Droid OTA will it keep you happy enough to run the length of your 2 year contract, or when something better comes in a year, do you try and go for that...for a small fee of course...
    11-07-2009 12:01 PM
    I agree. There is so much to do and explore on this phone. The "newness" factor that you get from a BB wears off VERY quickly because there's never anything that "new" in the new BBs. I've always noticed that the new BBs are slightly more polished, but don't really offer anything new to explore.
    11-07-2009 01:05 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD