solideliquid

Jan 12, 2010
Visit site
Yeah but the older iPhone won't get all the features of the new one. Just like the 3g didn't get video recording it will happen again with the 3gs it will lack something the hd will get just for you to go out and buy it. But the difference between Apple and Android is Google makes the OS they don't tell the companies when they need to have them running on their devices. I really hope MOTO doesn't take forever and they don't want months after the Droid 2 gets the update to release it for the Droid seeing the Droid 2 is only an update to ours basically running the same chipset and screen res maybe more mem

Let's not pretend this didn't happen with android devices as well. The latest 2.1 updates on ERIS didn't come with live wallpapers correct me if I'm wrong. Also the G1 will never get 2.1 so yes, if you have a 3G, a two year old phone, you can get OS 4 day one. You may not get multitasking, but you'll get 4.0.

G

GenericMessage

Let's not pretend this didn't happen with android devices as well. The latest 2.1 updates on ERIS didn't come with live wallpapers correct me if I'm wrong. Also the G1 will never get 2.1 so yes, if you have a 3G, a two year old phone, you can get OS 4 day one. You may not get multitasking, but you'll get 4.0.

The G1 should get 2.1. Google did say all devices will get 2.1 (or at-least 2.0)

anthonyzul

Dec 27, 2009
Visit site
Couple things..

Where are you all getting your information? Google did say that 2.2 would be released in the coming weeks. However, with no word from VZW or Moto about it, no one has any idea when the Droid will get it. I have the opinion that it will get it sooner rather than later, but no one has any idea. Also where is all this info about the Droid 2 coming from?

thebizz

phone addict
Nov 8, 2009
Visit site
Droid 2 info from Motorola employees with the device
HowardForums: Your Mobile Phone Community & Resource - Motorola DROID 2 Pre-Release Thread

Well let's look at the Eris thing how long did VZW sell it. How much marketing did they put behind it. Yeah its messed up for those that paid for the thing. Because they were tricked into buying a stop gap phone. Most phones listed are underpowered ARM 11 phones which would be hard to upgrade with limited memory and CPU to run the thing. But at the end of the day how can you compare how apple releases updates to anyone else. Do the even need carrier approval pretty sure they don't. Their in full control of the updates. And when they will be pushed out. Unlike say the Droid which Verizon ask for it and test it and decides when its good enough to be pushed out. Big difference the closes you will see is the n1 and I bet their the first to get it

VKitty

Mar 30, 2010
Visit site
I think that most Android phones will be in the same position as most of the Samsung phones.

I have a Samsung impression, and if you have every read any Samsung forum you will know that Samsung does not do updates for almost all of there phones. They just expect you to buy the next phone that already has the update on it.

I feel this is the way Android, and most others are going to go.

thebizz

phone addict
Nov 8, 2009
Visit site
I have a feeling that once gingerbread hits it will be easier to update phones. But it all lays at the feet of the manufactures if they want to. I hope it doesn't go to you buy this phone then turn around and have to buy another in a year for the update. If it does android will be in a horrible place and one that will turn most buyers off

Brett

Retired Moderator
Nov 22, 2009
Visit site
when it comes down to it. even if 2.2 doesn't come out till september (though i really dont think it will take that long), by the end of june there will probably be a list of new roms that are available to rooted droid's. stable roms are a slightly different story but once the kinks are out im sure it will be good. i know there are those people who don't want to root but it is a really nice option for those people to consider.

Brett

Retired Moderator
Nov 22, 2009
Visit site
Yeah but when you look at the 2.2 roms that are already out I think we might be seeing one soon since the droid is probably the most owned android device. I'm just hoping for stability.

Brett

Retired Moderator
Nov 22, 2009
Visit site
let's play a game. Which developer do you thing will release the 1st solid (not perfect but stable) 2.2 rom for the droid?

im going with Cyanogen/Koushe seeing as how cyanogen works mostly with the N1 now and Koush could port it

Brett

Retired Moderator
Nov 22, 2009
Visit site
ya but wouldn't cyanogen's next build be based on 2.2 seeing as how N1 is starting to get updates of 2.2

don't get me wrong, im not saying that you are not right but a man can dream, right? haha

thebizz

phone addict
Nov 8, 2009
Visit site
Yes it would start from 2.2 but you never know how long it will be before the source is releases. Could possibly get a dump prior to that. If their released together then its just a race I would love to see who finishes first

Basis

Apr 13, 2010
Visit site
So when can we expect this to hit the Telus Milestone? It only took them two months to roll out 2.1 shortly after the release.

Brett

Retired Moderator
Nov 22, 2009
Visit site
I think this time around there will be smaller gap from when Google gives it to developers and us getting the update. 2.1 was something completely new for both Motorola and Verizon. It was their first big update for android. So now they hopefully have a better grasp on it. One is certain, Motorola wont be giving out any info of when we can expect a release. They probably have learned from their mistakes.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kemberley1