06-07-2010 08:59 PM
169 ... 4567
tools
    I dont understand where any of the drama is coming from. Its simple.

2.2 is out there floating in lucky hands. It has key identifiers as to who has it, so there are no leaks, because no one is willing to lose their job over it.

Doesn't need to be a pissing match, or anything else beyond the fact that it is around, we will see it, and hopefully sooner then later
    Brett likes this.
    05-31-2010 06:24 PM
    this will be my last response that is off topic (i do apologize). So cisco, are you the guy who posted about the Evo under the name "delete2end" because between 2 similiarities i have observed would bring me to that conlcusion.
    That was a pretty good guess.
    05-31-2010 06:26 PM
    I dont understand where any of the drama is coming from. Its simple.

2.2 is out there floating in lucky hands. It has key identifiers as to who has it, so there are no leaks, because no one is willing to lose their job over it.

Doesn't need to be a pissing match, or anything else beyond the fact that it is around, we will see it, and hopefully sooner then later
    i could not agree with you any more. im surprised that nobody has made a video or something to show off the features and leave out any part that could identify them. usually that would have been floating around by now but either it's use is strictly in house and in house only or Verizon has done a really good job of scaring the be-jesus out of their reps if they get caught leaking info haha
    05-31-2010 06:31 PM
    it is internal, (above a store level) and yes, Verizon reps are scared, and being randomly searched according to my friend. They are buckling down on the information leaks
    05-31-2010 06:34 PM
    Hehe you're funny. I reallyyy don't have to prove anything to you. I know what I read and he's a reliable source of information. Sorry you're such a pessimist :/

But for all of you who AREN'T ****ing douches, 2.2 is on some tester's Verizon Moto Droids and it apparently runs great!
    Aren't I sooo badass, guys!?! :P
    I'm not trying to add fuel to the fire here but honestly you have shown no proof of what you are saying other than "I know a guy" this argument can only go so far for us former blackberry users (I've heard the I know a guy that works for Verizon or Sprint or whatever provider so many times its not even funny) and that point has been reached.

We all know the source goes to vendors first but we do not know who has it or who is messing with it at this point but it is not unheard of for vendors to get it this early so I'm not saying you are lying here I'm just saying that proof speaks louder than words.
    05-31-2010 07:30 PM
    SO ANYWAY

This thread has derailed into oblivion.

So I bet 2.2 will drop right after the Droid 2 does in June. Any takers?
    05-31-2010 09:50 PM
    i think it would be in verizon's interest to do it that way (though i hope they release it before) because it could increase sales on the droid but lose sales on the droid 2 since people will be on a new 2 year contract with the droid. anything's possible.

i just want a solid 2.2 rom. i would easily settle with that haha
    05-31-2010 10:01 PM
    I'm not trying to add fuel to the fire here but honestly you have shown no proof of what you are saying other than "I know a guy" this argument can only go so far for us former blackberry users (I've heard the I know a guy that works for Verizon or Sprint or whatever provider so many times its not even funny) and that point has been reached.

We all know the source goes to vendors first but we do not know who has it or who is messing with it at this point but it is not unheard of for vendors to get it this early so I'm not saying you are lying here I'm just saying that proof speaks louder than words.
    I 100% agree with you there. Having been a Blackberry use for 3 years, I know how the "pics or it didn't happen" thing all too well. I saw this information from a person who I know is a reliable source and thought I would let the Droid community know the good news. No, I have no "real" proof other than the people at Crackberry and TBZ vouching for Black_manX, as well. I just thought I would spread the good news that *I* know is real.

Just don't attack someone next time they claim something. They could be right, even without "hard evidence"...
    05-31-2010 11:09 PM
    From a marketing perspective (getting the greatest number of folks to spend their money on Droid 2), I would think that they would wait until a good couple of months after Droid 2 ships before updating our Droids to 2.2.
    06-01-2010 12:54 AM
    I 100% agree with you there. Having been a Blackberry use for 3 years, I know how the "pics or it didn't happen" thing all too well. I saw this information from a person who I know is a reliable source and thought I would let the Droid community know the good news. No, I have no "real" proof other than the people at Crackberry and TBZ vouching for Black_manX, as well. I just thought I would spread the good news that *I* know is real.

Just don't attack someone next time they claim something. They could be right, even without "hard evidence"...
    I understand he may be a reliable source to you but the whole reliable source and people vouching for them is also something that was over used in the blackberry community.
    06-01-2010 06:01 AM
    I understand he may be a reliable source to you but the whole reliable source and people vouching for them is also something that was over used in the blackberry community.
    and the reality is that he is just a random user name on a public forum to the rest of us, but i hope he's right.

besides only a fool would trust a Ford owner
    06-02-2010 09:29 AM
    From a marketing perspective (getting the greatest number of folks to spend their money on Droid 2), I would think that they would wait until a good couple of months after Droid 2 ships before updating our Droids to 2.2.
    Carriers make their money on service -- not on device sales.
    06-02-2010 10:07 AM
    Carriers make their money on service -- not on device sales.
    I think he mean't that.

Can't make money on the service without buying the device right?

Also, buying huge amounts of of a specific device is good for Verizon (other than extending many contracts). It shows to the manufacturer that Verizon can properly market, carry, and sell their devices, making the manufacturer more likely to go with them in the future.
    06-02-2010 11:12 AM
    God, do I hope we're allowed to use the mobile hotspot feature in Froyo without VZW getting their paws on it.
    06-02-2010 01:17 PM
    God, do I hope we're allowed to use the mobile hotspot feature in Froyo without VZW getting their paws on it.
    That'd sure be nice.

But Verizon likes our money so much!
    06-02-2010 01:18 PM
    If we have to wait for the Droid 2 to get 2.2 were going to be waiting until atleast Aug. I would think they would push froyo out now. But that's bad for new phone sales. Let's just hope we don't get a 2.1 fiasco
    06-02-2010 02:25 PM
    after coming across this article on droid life, i really feel that 2.2 is right around the corner. that is, if verizon is waiting to launch a new device with stock 2.2 first. so from what the article says, the motorola shadow/extreme (whichever verizon decides to go with) does not have blur on it. it is stock android 2.2. Since the Shadow/Extreme release is right around the corner, we might get our update shortly after.

here is the article about the shadow/extreme: Exclusive: Motorola Droid Xtreme Pics | Droid Life: A Motorola Droid Blog

keep in mind, i am not giving a he said, she said type story or stating that i know sombody. this is soley based on my assumption with some facts that are layed out on the table. Please do not flame. By all means, state your feelings about the topic but do it in a civil manor. thanks
    06-02-2010 05:39 PM
    It will probably still take until August, but I wouldn't be shocked if it came out before the holiday season.

Verizon is probably still figuring out what to do with the Tethering option, and with AT&Ts new plans coming out, they may be reorganizing as well, which pushes back release dates.
    06-02-2010 06:28 PM
    That'd sure be nice.

But Verizon likes our money so much!
    But they also are interested in drawing away AT&T subscribers. With their new pricing, Verizon may offer the features for reduced (under $20) or free.

I drool at the thought. Although not too much, since i'm thethering while rooted
    06-02-2010 06:32 PM
    would be nice if the wifi hotspot/tethering were free, but highly highly unlikely. Att is now doing away with unlimited data plans and I can see verizon following suit unfortunately in due time. So they might allow it, but if unlimited goes away you'll it that cap if you tether a lot. Also, they were talking about support for wifi tethering long before this and told me would be an additional 30/month. Of course that was when I bought the droid and wasn't even possible.

All that said, if you are responsible (in terms of not abusing it) and somewhat tech savvy, root your droid and wifi tether app is free and works like a charm.
    06-03-2010 12:10 PM
    ya the wifi tether app (if your rooted) can really come in handy at times. as for the additional charge for it to be used legitimately, i don't know if verizon will charge. i think a year verizon probably would have but due to the fact it is gaining more and more new customers due to android they might not. on top of that, if they decide not to charge for it then it will be an even bigger point in Verizon's favor to use that in their marketing strategies and pull in ATT customers who are not happy with paying more for data fees (for unlimited) and by adding the tether as a free bonus it would be the cherry on top.

could verizon do it? yes. is it likely for them to consider? yes. would it make them more money? yes. but will verizon look for a way to give customer an even bigger reason to leave ATT and to come to Verizon? yes it would.

when it comes down to it, we will know soon enough once we get the update.
    06-03-2010 04:52 PM
    biggest difference is that the potential for massive data usage grows exponentially with tethering, especially wifi tethering. sooner or later, a few bad worms will spoil the fun. it not only facilitates much greater data usage but allows non paying customers to utilize the connection. I agree, if you have unlimited data plan to begin with, u should in theory be able to use it as you wish. Problem is that it's only allowed until it becomes too expensive, and the potential for that with free wifi tethering for all is too great in my opinion. Anyways, i hope i'm wrong, im all for it.
    06-04-2010 08:25 PM
    AT&T still sucks no matter what they do! They would need to convert there rate plans like sprint and they would still suck
    06-04-2010 10:56 PM
    ya the wifi tether app (if your rooted) can really come in handy at times. as for the additional charge for it to be used legitimately, i don't know if verizon will charge. i think a year verizon probably would have but due to the fact it is gaining more and more new customers due to android they might not. on top of that, if they decide not to charge for it then it will be an even bigger point in Verizon's favor to use that in their marketing strategies and pull in ATT customers who are not happy with paying more for data fees (for unlimited) and by adding the tether as a free bonus it would be the cherry on top.

could verizon do it? yes. is it likely for them to consider? yes. would it make them more money? yes. but will verizon look for a way to give customer an even bigger reason to leave ATT and to come to Verizon? yes it would.

when it comes down to it, we will know soon enough once we get the update.
    Free wifi and usb tethering from vzw would certainly be a huge selling factor and could potentially bring in a lot more customers, but I believe that once LTE is out, vzw will unfortunately go to a tiered plan similar to att. Too many people would abuse free unlimited tethering and drop their cable modem plans and eat up so much data. For someone like me that uses bit torrent a lot, I could see vzw limiting people like me from free unlimited tethering.
    06-05-2010 04:37 AM
    Free wifi and usb tethering from vzw would certainly be a huge selling factor and could potentially bring in a lot more customers, but I believe that once LTE is out, vzw will unfortunately go to a tiered plan similar to att. Too many people would abuse free unlimited tethering and drop their cable modem plans and eat up so much data. For someone like me that uses bit torrent a lot, I could see vzw limiting people like me from free unlimited tethering.
    Hopefully LTE will do away with those pesky tiered systems.

But I doubt it =/

Anywho, there has to be plenty of other cool stuff with 2.2! Flash........is all I can really think of
    06-05-2010 06:22 AM
169 ... 4567
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD