How much longer will this Droid be on us market?

sillyshyme

May 22, 2010
Visit site
I may plan on getting this phone via 3rd party but I may hold off only due to that it's about 7 months old and wanted to know how much longer will this Droid be on market?

Brett

Retired Moderator
Nov 22, 2009
Visit site
I would give to the end of 2010 maybe early 2011. Its Verizon's top selling phone so I can't see them getting rid of it. It will probably be free eventually with a 2 year contract.

Genetic_Bloom

Nov 25, 2009
Visit site
If the Droid 2 or whatever comes out on Verizon has no keyboard I don't see them replacing it for a long time, at least until they get a new high-end Android phone with one.

thebizz

phone addict
Nov 8, 2009
Visit site
My bet is that it will stay around even after the Droid 2. If I were Verizon I would drop the price down to 100 or so keep it as a mid level android phone with the shadow Droid 2 and incredible as higher end phones. But that's me. Drop the devour down a little lower in price point and it seems like they would have a great lineup

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

MissMe

Jan 8, 2010
Visit site
Yeah, given that it's one of Verizon's best selling phones (period) and the high-end smartphone of the moment with a physical keyboard, I don't foresee it vanishing into the night like the Eris. Also, since the Nexus One won't be on the network, its only 2.0 competition is the Incredible I believe. But that goes back to personal preference since a keyboard is its major selling point.

F

fearmychickens

Once Droid Shadow/Extreme is out, people will forget Droid.

Nope. Could care less about the Shadow, especially since it'll run MotoBlur. Good luck getting updates on time. Motorola killed that phone by putting their skin on it.

Brett

Retired Moderator
Nov 22, 2009
Visit site
Once Droid Shadow/Extreme is out, people will forget Droid.

i highly doubt it. I am almost positive there are people who want the droid but are not able to afford $200 for it. Verizon will more than likely subsidize the price to free once the droid 2 comes out. it will cost $50 tops. The original droid will me the affordable high end phone. The droid 2 and shadow will be the premium high end phones. If they make the Droid free with a 2 year contract then they will get a lot of new customers as well as current customer extending their contract. Many people don't need the what the new phones coming out can do. People in here know what they need and we all one bigger and better but look at all the iphone users out there. many of them love simple and easy and affordable. a free droid will crush iphone 3gs sales (we all know that apple will still make the 3gs available even after the new one comes out) because the 3gs will still probably cost like 50-100 on contract.

I think a lot of you are thinking strictly on replacement ideas but in reality the Droid is prob the most advertised cellphone on tv and is the first device to come to mind when you ask sombody on the street "what comes to mind when you think of android?". Even if they heavily advertise the new phones and remove the droid commercials, the droid commercials have set the bar of what to expect.

dbone15#AC

May 18, 2010
Visit site
I think it will follow a similar life cycle as the BlackBerry Storm 1. It will stay out and eventually be free for a while when the Droid 2 comes out and then be phased out.

Rich Coralli

May 24, 2010
Visit site
It will be gone soon

The droid:confused: will disappear in few months. Unfortunately I don't think motorola as a company will survive either. There is no differentiation among android products with companies coming out with better and better products. Verizon won't keep them around if their products fail to sell right now best android phone is evo

F

fearmychickens

The droid:confused: will disappear in few months. Unfortunately I don't think motorola as a company will survive either. There is no differentiation among android products with companies coming out with better and better products. Verizon won't keep them around if their products fail to sell right now best android phone is evo

lol @ this person

It's highly unlikely that the EVO will sell as much as the Droid because not only is it on Sprint (a carrier that loses tons of customers every quarter) but Sprint's shooting itself by charging more money for the 4G whether people have it or not.

The Droid will be around for a long while, at least until end of 2010.

bikedogrun

Oct 6, 2009
Visit site
The Droid will be around for a long while, at least until end of 2010.
Agree.

I only got my Droid a month ago & I'm loving it! I looked twice now at the incredible and just can't convince myself it is really an upgrade or even any better than the Droid. I also do not care for sense. If you like sense and don't need/want a physical keyboard then perhaps the Incredible or EVO (its BIG though) or new Shadow are better choices. The Droid's keyboard gets a bad rep, it isn't great, but t is not bad at all. Very useable and far better than the virtual Android (or sense) keyboards.

The Droid has been an extremely popular phone and isn't going away anytime soon... and if you're OK with the restrictions and get it from WireFly/Let's Talk/Amazon etc like I did you'll only pay approx $19.95 which is just awesome for the quality you get with a Droid. ;)

/BD :cool:

Kyle Gibb

May 17, 2010
Visit site
Agree.

I only got my Droid a month ago & I'm loving it! I looked twice now at the incredible and just can't convince myself it is really an upgrade or even any better than the Droid. I also do not care for sense. If you like sense and don't need/want a physical keyboard then perhaps the Incredible or EVO (its BIG though) or new Shadow are better choices. The Droid's keyboard gets a bad rep, it isn't great, but t is not bad at all. Very useable and far better than the virtual Android (or sense) keyboards.

The Droid has been an extremely popular phone and isn't going away anytime soon... and if you're OK with the restrictions and get it from WireFly/Let's Talk/Amazon etc like I did you'll only pay approx $19.95 which is just awesome for the quality you get with a Droid. ;)

/BD :cool:

$20 for a Droid WTFPWNS the $100 iPhone. And when they drop the 3GS down to $100 it will STILL pwn it. If you are willing to spend more get an Incredible, but for that cheap a Droid is mighty attractive.

F

fearmychickens

$20 for a Droid WTFPWNS the $100 iPhone. And when they drop the 3GS down to $100 it will STILL pwn it. If you are willing to spend more get an Incredible, but for that cheap a Droid is mighty attractive.

My Droid cost me $200 when I bought it back in January (not to mention the $400 deposit from not having any credit score). You guys are lucky to get it for that low of a price.

Brett

Retired Moderator
Nov 22, 2009
Visit site

Out of curiousity where do you base this knowledge from. The evo isn't even out so its hard to say if it will sell well. They are releasing it on sprint and nobody has sprint, well that's an exaggeration, a small part of the cellphone customers have sprint. Also sprint hasn't even pushed any advertising for it. So what if it is a better phone, if it doesn't sell it will not go anywhere. Plus out of all the android phones, the Motorola's phone are different than all other brands and they have a better build quality.

I really have no idea where you pulled that from. Seems to be just your opinion. Not trying to bash you but try to atleast explain your predictions instead of just stating an opinion as if it were a fact.

anthonyzul

Dec 27, 2009
Visit site
Look regardless of what phones are coming out, and what phones are getting updates, the Droid is probably the most popular, as far as sales, Android phone out there at the moment. I wait tables at a very large and popular place here in Philly, and I see almost as many Droids as I do iPhones.

This phone is not going anywhere any time soon..

dagostin

Nov 9, 2009
Visit site
The quest for the "eternal" cell phone should just end already :) The droid is an awesome phone. Other phones have come out since that are more powerful and probably more awesome. But this cycle will never end. You could keep "holding out" for what's next and well 10 years will pass you by and well you get the point.

Fwiw, the droid 2 will eventually replace the original droid, but is that a bad thing? I dont think so. You will not be forced to upgrade and you will be able to download most of the latest and greatest android apps even if you do not upgrade for another year. And when it is time to upgrade, you can stick with this line and go with the Droid 2. If rumors are correct, it will preserve the physical keyboard with slight mods, and by going this route, moto's droid might stick around for a while.

All that said, upgrades in the android OS to me are not that important right now. They are upgrading at breakneck pace and the customer facing features that arise are really not that game changing to me. So the nexus one has froyo already, so what? I've had all those features pretty much since the Droid was rooted and to be honest, they haven't even changed my opinion or basic usage of the phone at all.

So, in summary, if you're ready to buy new and need the latest and greatest, well the moto droid is no longer that. But if you don't care about that and want a killer phone for a possibly cheaper price, the moto droid is still a bad-ass phone.

If i were buying new today, i'd heavily check out the incredible and it would mostly come down to my feelings on sense ui.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zatarabr