Got my droid in Dec and after all this time I keep trying to figure out what is up with all the complaints about the keyboard. The new rumored keyboard is horrible it has arrow keys and no Dpad, the shift and alt buttons do not have to be THAT big.

If they go to the new KB I will have this version for a long time..
    05-30-2010 10:36 AM
    +1

I like my Droid's keyboard and the D-pad really comes in handy when using my Droid for old school gaming.
    05-30-2010 11:40 AM
    I have had a Droid for 5 days now. I can't seem to get the hang of it - I am faster on the virtual keyboard (but have been on an iPhone for a year). I had a Touch Pro before the iPhone, so I do have keyboard experience. Off the bat, IMHO, the location of the DPad causes you to have to reach too far with the right thumb and thus cuts down on efficency. I am still trying to use it - I may be more accurate with it than on the screen - but I am a lot slower so far.
    05-30-2010 11:58 AM
    i like the physical keyboard also. i feel that both the physical keyboard and the software keyboard are great for different things. i use the software one more for text messages and forum posts but i use the physical for hacking and modding. thats just me though
    05-30-2010 12:18 PM
    I hardly ever use the physical key board. It seems like I can type quicker on the software keyboard quicker.
    05-30-2010 05:02 PM
    don't see what the big deal is either once you get used to it
    05-31-2010 01:00 AM
    I agree the Droid's keyboard is pretty nice with the exception of the D-pad which does screw up ergonomics. Also the key response is awkward making it very difficult to type fast. I got my Droid on release day and I still can't type as fast as I could with my Blackberry Curve 8330. And the Curve had a much smaller keyboard and keys! But I could type really fast on that. I think it comes down to the way the keys press down into the phone. With the Blackberry the key presses were defined and crisp. I can't say the same for the Droid, instead it's a soft and heavy key press. But nontheless I still like having a physical keyboard over touchscreen only.
    06-01-2010 06:47 AM
    I tend to use the physical keyboard more than the virtual keyboard(s).. I too am unsure as to why all the hate over it.. keys formed quickly and I think the responds is very good.. agreed, my old curve's keyboard was quicker to response, but not that much.. I like it!
    06-01-2010 12:23 PM
    I like the keyboard too, I don't use it all THAT often but I do use it and it always works great. It takes alittle getting used too if you have bigger fingers like me, but after that it's all good IMO.
    06-01-2010 12:51 PM
    For me, it was a painful adjustment (literally) from my Curve that I used for work as I am right-handed and wasn't used to the the thumb stretching over a D-pad. It took some time but I've gotten used to it and actually like using the keyboard.

still...my remaining gripe is the lack of spell check since I can fire off an email and text FASTER than my eyes can proofread.
    06-01-2010 04:35 PM
    I keep trying to figure out what is up with all the complaints about the keyboard.
    Like any input method, it's a very subjective matter. I don't use mine for anything except games. I mainly use Swype with the virtual keyboards. YMMV.
    06-01-2010 05:04 PM
    Stop complaining.... I have a virtual KB on my XT701, with setting for Chinese letters... Anyone wants to beat that frustration, let me know.

I might just buy a Milestone until 2.2 comes to my XT.
    06-02-2010 07:28 PM
    I still like using the physical keyboard. Even if you dont care about the tactile response of it, its still nice not to have the keyboard take up half (or more) of the screen while you are typing. I like being able to see my ENTIRE screen while I type.

Also, the virtual keyboards, while good, are not as good as the physical keyboards because they are still missing options. Directional pad/arrow keys? Enter key? Typing with the virtual keyboard feels more like a chore to me. I still use it, but not often. It is definitely nice to have. But I like having a physical keyboard.

That being said, the Droid keyboard does suck. The one on my enV2 was way better. Of course I have never come across a phone keyboard I thought was "good", but compared to other phone keyboards I have used, the Droid's is below average. I have gotten used to it though, so typing on it isnt as much of a pain as it used to be.
    06-03-2010 11:29 AM
    The screen keyboard works great, but those that are used to a physical one have to spend more time getting used to it.
    06-03-2010 03:57 PM
    guys this isn't a debate haha. these are soley opinions about if and why people like the droids physical keyboard.

the way i see it, even if some of don't like the physical keyboard it is nice to have it as an option to use if we decide to. with emulators the physical keyboard has the advantage over touch screen only phones. there are many other uses for the keyboard aside from just writing out messages and for different apps it might be an advantage to have the physical keyboard.

as for the person who was interested in the predictive text for the physical keyboard. there is a solution to that concern which i found out about recently (even though i had the ability to do it prior to then, ya i was slow haha). if you download smart keyboard from the market (i have the paid version so i don't know if it will work on the lite version as well) and go into the settings you can check mark an option to have it use predictive text when using the physical keyboard. i forget the price of the app because i bought it months ago but it is by far one of the most responsive and feature full keyboard app i have come across. and the dev is always fixing and adding additions stuff.
    06-03-2010 05:44 PM
    I also like it.

Its very responsive! The soft keyboard is the best i've ever used, but still cannot keep up with my "thumbs of raging fury"

The hardware however can
    06-05-2010 07:54 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD