Picked up a Droid on Friday and have been playing with it all weekend. In Upstate New York, Verizon has the best coverage of all the providers hands down...unfortunately just not in my house.

I can only get 1 bar max in my house no matter where I go. A lot of time it's no bars. On my iPhone 3GS which I was hoping to replace, I get 5 bars no matter where I am in my house.

This morning I did a test and kept calling the Droid when it had no bars. The call made it through but what's very interesting is that the very split second the call comes on, my reception displays as 2 bars. As soon as I end the call, it immediately goes back to no bars. I did this 5 times in a row with the exact same symptoms. I did a *228 and updated the towers with option 2, but still, the issue remains.

So I don't know what the deal is but I'm pretty bummed out about it. I like this phone but I'm really nervous that I'll miss calls or text messages from work when a server goes down (I'm a sys admin.)

Is anybody having a similar problem?

Update: I have been able to replicate the issue with the changing bars, but in reverse now. Just did this 7 times in a row. I'm in an area with 4 bars, as soon as I place a call to the phone, the phone app displays the ring and it DROPS to two bars. As soon as the call ends, it goes back to 4 bars. No matter what, it seems the phone app is displaying 2 bars when a call first comes in. Is anybody else seeing this issue?
    11-09-2009 10:35 AM
    I show 1 bar also at home but get all my calls and messages.
    11-09-2009 10:40 AM
    I'd be interested to know if the # of bars you have immediately increase when you get a call and drop back down afterwords.
    11-09-2009 10:46 AM
    I have all 4 bars at home in Mid Michigan just move here and the problem solved lol.
    11-09-2009 10:56 AM
    Rochester, Webster, Victor I get great reception all places. Better than I did with my storm and any other smartphone i've had. My work even had terrible reception for my Storm. No issues on the Droid what so ever.
    Its more of a coverage issue than the handset I believe.
    11-09-2009 10:58 AM
    I suspect that the number of bars is not equivalent from phone to phone. My Droid shows only 2 bars at home; my work Blackberry routinely shows 3-4. Both work flawlessly and on the same network. I would take a wait-and-see before getting too bummed.
    11-09-2009 10:59 AM
    I have been able to replicate the issue with the changing bars, but in reverse now. Just did this 7 times in a row. I'm in an area with 4 bars, as soon as I place a call to the phone, the phone app displays the ring and it DROPS to two bars. As soon as the call ends, it goes back to 4 bars. No matter what, it seems the phone app is displaying 2 bars when a call first comes in. Is anybody else seeing this issue?
    11-09-2009 10:59 AM
    At work u have 4 bars. Made a call and still had all 4.
    11-09-2009 12:25 PM
    Did you make a call TO your phone or from your phone. No matter where I am, when I get a call, I go to 2 bars. It must be some weird reporting error on this bug but probably not related to my crappy reception in the house.
    11-09-2009 12:42 PM
    Tried it both ways. Still had 4 bars. I will try it at home where I normally get 1-2 bars.
    11-09-2009 12:50 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD