Corporate calendar is wasting my precious resources, and VVVM is just plain annoying me cause I can't remove it.

I suspect I know the answer. Wots the ETA on this thing getting rooted? :P
    11-09-2009 10:13 AM
    i asked this somewhere else and was told it can't be done unless rooted. i guess it's actually part of the OS...along with Visual Vm and amazon mp3
    11-09-2009 10:15 AM
    at least the vvm is just a link to the app in the marketplace, so it's just an annoyance but it's not taking up any resources.

but i really wish we could just remove them if not needed.
    11-09-2009 12:16 PM
    I'm not sure what we're calling each feature yet.. but I really wish we could remove items from the "menu slider" on the bottom of the screen. I really don't want to have all those icons in there, when I either:

A. dont use them (corporate calendar/email/visual voice mail)
    B. already have a shortcut on one of my "desktops"
    11-09-2009 12:56 PM
    i think they officially call it a drawer.
    11-09-2009 12:58 PM
    it's the "junk drawer" then, because it's got all sorts of crap I wish it didn't.

the worst thing is, and I realize they had no better option, but it's sorted alphabetically... so the second I get used to the location of a specific app, it changes if I add/remove another app.

would be nice if it could be sorted by "most used", so the things I use will stay at the top.
    11-09-2009 01:29 PM
    i just made some folders and organized stuff in them the way i wanted, i rarely open the drawer anymore
    11-09-2009 01:46 PM
    i have mine all organized too -- it's not often i have to open the drawer, but i refuse to have an app that i wont often use (movies for instance) taking up a valuable tile on my home screen(s).

you cant "folderize" things in the drawer, right? I'm assuming you just mean that you made folders on your home screens to keep all those lesser used items?
    11-09-2009 03:09 PM
    yes, i made folders on my homescreen. but the folders are for the things i actually use.

i have 4 folders on the left screen, "social" "fun" "Games" and "tools" which contain things i associate with those labels.

on my main home screen is icons for messages, contacts, browser, and maps which are the four things i use more than others.

i'm still deciding on if i want to swap some stuff on the main screen, but so far this setup has worked really well for me.

oh, and you're right, you can't put folders in the drawer. it's designed to be a catch all for everything that's on the phone.
    11-09-2009 04:16 PM
    Folks, I'm sure some of you know this, but I can't figure out how to add items to the folder that I created on the home page. What gyrations does one need to do in order to add widgets and shortcuts to folders?
    11-09-2009 07:24 PM
    Slightly off topic, but not really

Apps organizer in the market is a slick way to label apps according to use, and place an icon for each label (or all..whatever you would like) on one of your screens. Still a mess in the drawer, but no need to ever open it
    11-09-2009 07:37 PM
    Folks, I'm sure some of you know this, but I can't figure out how to add items to the folder that I created on the home page. What gyrations does one need to do in order to add widgets and shortcuts to folders?
    It looks like widgets can't go in folders. Shortcuts can by creating them on a main screen, then long press it and drag it into the folder.
    11-23-2009 08:13 PM
    Or if you use a home replacement I'm sure many have solutions for these problems. I know dxTop has an apps drawer that is customizable by creating categories and alphabetically Also it lets you hide apps you don't use. GDE I believe allows you to put folders in the drawer and can also be re-arranged alphabetically.
    11-23-2009 09:06 PM
    it's the "junk drawer" then, because it's got all sorts of crap I wish it didn't.

the worst thing is, and I realize they had no better option, but it's sorted alphabetically... so the second I get used to the location of a specific app, it changes if I add/remove another app.

would be nice if it could be sorted by "most used", so the things I use will stay at the top.
    Lol the junk drawer ... reminds me of icons Verizon pushed to me on my Storm.
    11-24-2009 01:12 PM
    Lol the junk drawer ... reminds me of icons Verizon pushed to me on my Storm.
    Seriously, but at least you could hide any icon
    11-24-2009 01:49 PM
    Slightly off topic, but not really

Apps organizer in the market is a slick way to label apps according to use, and place an icon for each label (or all..whatever you would like) on one of your screens. Still a mess in the drawer, but no need to ever open it
    I downloaded Apps Organizer after reading about it here. I'd already made shortcuts for the home screens but they all looked the same. This is a nice way to easily remedy that. Thanks for sharing the info.
    11-24-2009 01:56 PM
    Visual Voice Mail is awesome..and worth the extra 3 bucks a month. SOOO worth it
    11-25-2009 12:35 AM
    Seems to be a theme tonight of recommending Dxtop. Its 3$ in the market and well worth it. It lets you hide icons as well as many other things. look at the screen shot thread.

Also, getting a google voice account is much better then VVM. GV gives you free VVM as well as a transcript of your voicemail. Kind of hard to get an invite but ask around and im sure you can get one, or request one from google.
    11-25-2009 01:07 AM
    or if you can't get into GV, or don't want to wait youmail is a much better alternative to verizon's VVM too.
    11-25-2009 01:10 AM
    I love my YouMail. Also have Gvoice, but never use it. The YouMail "smart greeting" is a great WOW factor.
    11-25-2009 12:23 PM
    I too have struggled with how to arrange all this. Tried DxTop and Open Home, but they were too incompatible with various widgets and add ons, which would be true of any Home replacement. After trying them all, I have finally stuck with Panda Home. Its free, and I like having extra screens, but what really sold me on it was the two 'sidebars' that you can pop open from anywhere with additional persistently used apps. It works great with the Droid and there seems to be LOT of dev effort going into this app right now. Bonus is that it doesn't seem to lag the phone and it looks nice too. Plus, you can hide apps you don't want to deal with. :-)
    11-29-2009 08:33 PM
    open folder, menu select, item select-hold, voila
    06-21-2010 06:42 PM
    open folder, select menu, select-hold item, voila.
    06-21-2010 06:43 PM
    I found the easiest way to remove sys apps was thru titanium backup (if u have root, obviously)

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk
    06-22-2010 07:45 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD