Motorola Droid Tips, Tricks, and Easter Eggs

darkstar

Nov 9, 2009
Visit site
How to make direction shortcuts

Long Press on an empty spot on your home... and create a new folder..

Open "Folder" and Long Press on the top frame of that window. Rename it name it to whatever you wish.

Now go back to home and Long Press on an empty space. Select Shortcuts. Scroll down to Directions. Fill out the boxes with your destination address, choose mode of transit, give it a name, select an icon, and press Save.

A new icon will appear on your desktop.. named whatever you called it in the previous menu... Just move it to your new folder, viola.. one touch directions...

Home, Work, Liquor Store... ;)

Enjoy

(I found those while digging around on Yahoo answers)

Reactions: tink2520

largeselection

Nov 4, 2009
Visit site
I'm sure you have found this...but when you're using the physical keyboard you can hold alt+dpad to jump all the way to the left/right/etc. Also alt+del = delete all text you've written. You can also click shift then alt+dpad to highlight all text.

beeray

Oct 24, 2009
Visit site
Is there a way to paste a picture that was downloaded to the homescreen? I don't want to use it as a wallpaper, I just want the pic there. Thanks for any help.

Beeray

lildudeus#AC

Nov 4, 2009
Visit site
If you want to add custom alarm ringtones for your alarm notification "alarm clock" plug your Droid into your computer, access the SD card, create a new folder on the card called "alarms", and drop the ringtones you want to use into the folder. When the phone is unplugged from the computer, the Droid will be able to use the alarm new tones.

xliderider

Nov 13, 2009
Visit site
If you want to add custom alarm ringtones for your alarm notification "alarm clock" plug your Droid into your computer, access the SD card, create a new folder on the card called "alarms", and drop the ringtones you want to use into the folder. When the phone is unplugged from the computer, the Droid will be able to use the alarm new tones.

It's been suggested to set-up the card with the following structure:

/Media
Alarms (Folder in Media)
Ringtones (Folder in Media)
Notifications (Folder in Media)
/Music
/Pictures
/Videos

Where the Ringtones and Notifications can have duplicate files if you want.

Last edited:

ccoady750#AC

Nov 17, 2009
Visit site
Is there a way to paste a picture that was downloaded to the homescreen? I don't want to use it as a wallpaper, I just want the pic there. Thanks for any help.

Beeray

Longpress on a blank area of the screen, select widgets>>picture frame. It lets you grab a picture from your gallery and place it on your scree, however it takes up 2 buttons worth of real estate, but it's a moveable picture.

R

Roy Aguilera

Although themes are nice you can change an idividual icon by long pressing it and selecting change icon. Not sure if it is a dxTop thing or default.

rfabro

Nov 5, 2009
Visit site
When doing the *228 programming, you can dial *22899 and it will automagically do both the 1 and 2 keypress options.

Last edited:

tdawgui

Oct 28, 2009
Visit site
You can easily add words to your dictionary while typing by long pressing on the word from the suggestion bar over your virtual keyboard.

First type the word as you want it to show, then execute a long press on the word in the 'word suggestion bar' next to the suggested words that highlight in bold orange... this long press will automatically save it to your dictionary.

If you add a word by accident, you can remove it by going to Settings ==> Language & keyboard ==> User dictionary, scroll down to find the word you input, select it, then press Delete.

found this one out today :D

that1bb

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
Tips for improving the camera's performance.

I just wanted to share a few tips to help get the most out of the camera. The following is the way I have my settings that make Droid's camera much more pleasent to use.
Switch the focus mode to infinity. Because of the size of the lens and image receptor, you can get away with most shots except for real close up.
Clean the lens. For some reason Droid's camera is very sensitive to the oil and dirt from fingerprints. This will eliminate the fog effect around areas of bright contrast.
Turn down the resolution. Unless you plan on printing your pictures or cropping them (very handy at times), the added resolution is not needed for a Facebook post.
Turn off the flash. Although there are times to use it, leaving it off makes it more responsive.
Practice practice practice. It really is a pretty decent camera and can achieve some impressive results. I once read about a national geographic photographer who took a cross-country trip using only the camera on his phone. A large part of good photography is having a camera at the right place at the right time.
Feel free to share your tips and thoughts.

TKNOVA

Nov 10, 2009
Visit site
you can also add the contact on your home screen by touching on the home screen and hold then a menu will pop up click shortcuts then pick a contact from there works great:D

In addition to putting a contact on your home screen as indicated above, you can also set it up to dial a contact directly. Long touch on the home screen. A menu will pop up, click shortcuts and choose "direct dial" then pick a contact.

Dukins

Nov 17, 2009
Visit site
In addition to putting a contact on your home screen as indicated above, you can also set it up to dial a contact directly. Long touch on the home screen. A menu will pop up, click shortcuts and choose "direct dial" then pick a contact.

Dog gone it I bought a program last night for this exact same thing. Wow this makes me feel real good. :eek:

And thanks for the long press on dictionary.

theguy386

Nov 10, 2009
Visit site
instead of having the "Google Search" bar take up space on your screen, you can simply press the search button on the bottom right..... the search bar will pop up and you can search as usual

Jarllax

Nov 25, 2009
Visit site
instead of having the "Google Search" bar take up space on your screen, you can simply press the search button on the bottom right..... the search bar will pop up and you can search as usual

I've found this to be most useful. I personally hated having that big search bar take up one of my screens. Now we can easily access the search without the need for the widget taking up space.

nerdbox08

Dec 2, 2009
Visit site
Hello!

Okay, so I was messing around on my phone in the car yesterday. I've tried to hook my other smart phones into my GRIFFIN, FM transmitter to listen to music, to no avail.

I decided I would attempt it with the droid. It worked just fine. The analog jack fits the size of the FM transmitter. What's even better is when you get a call, it will pause the music you are playing and the call will generate through your car speakers.

Now this part is untested so far, but because the new power cords from Verizon work as the home charger and the USB cord, with the GRIFFIN TRANSMITTER there is a place on the top of the plug that will allow you to plug in your USB device to charge while you are plugged into the transmitter. A work around to purchasing a car charger? Maybe, but The Droid will charge off the computer when plugged in that way. I'll have to try it and get back.

EDIT: It does charge :)

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
planeboy