Applications re-opening, help!

bart151

Nov 10, 2009
Visit site
Hey everybody,

So far Im loving my new Droid, what an awesome trade from my Storm 2 even though I enjoyed the Storm 2, after playing around with the Droid I had to switch :)

Now, onto whats going on with my phone. I, like many other people have Task Killer on my phone to kill the tasks running on my phone. However, whats going on is when I hit the shortcut on my phone to kill all the apps, immediately within 10 seconds I have anywhere from 2-8 apps running again. They dont pop up on my screen but their running in the background.

The apps that keep opening are:

Settings
Corporate Calender(no idea what this thing even does to be honest, I may uninstall it)
Calender
My uploads
These seem to be the norm that are opening up in the background and I have no idea why. Is this usual?

Any helps appreciated!

tdawgui

Oct 28, 2009
Visit site
Hey everybody,

The apps that keep opening are:

Settings
Corporate Calender(no idea what this thing even does to be honest, I may uninstall it)
Calender
My uploads
Settings is standard for your phone... runs in the background to keep track of your settings for your phone. You can't do anything about it.

Corporate Calendar is the calendar that connects to your outlook calendar if you chose to sync it with an exchange server.

Calendar is just a calendar... its set to automatically run in the background.

My uploads -- ? must be an app you downloaded... If you don't want it always running try looking in the settings for that app or uninstall it.

Messages - (do you mean Messaging?) - Messaging is your text messages... runs in the background so it can alert you when you get a new text message... don't worry about it.

largeselection

Nov 4, 2009
Visit site
I have other weirder apps that open...these have all been open randomly...
Camera
alarm clock
corp calendar
Car home (wasn't in dock)
Youmail
notepad
Google voice

So do these need to keep opening? Why car home, I prefer to open youmail when I need it since I get emails of my vms mostly.

R

Roy Aguilera

I have other weirder apps that open...these have all been open randomly...
Camera
alarm clock
corp calendar
Car home (wasn't in dock)
Youmail
notepad
Google voice

So do these need to keep opening? Why car home, I prefer to open youmail when I need it since I get emails of my vms mostly.

Do you have a navication dock? If so it opens up when you set it on the dock.

04redgto

Nov 7, 2009
Visit site
This isn't as big of a deal as it it on WinMo, or Blackberry's. The droid will close low priority programs as needed for memory purposes. I wouldn't even worry about it at all! I have run Advanced task killer, and it has said closing 22 programs before, and even then the phone never ran slow/laggy!

mskaplan

Nov 7, 2009
Visit site
I'd also like to have some of these killed to keep memory free. I don't use corporate calendar at all, but it refuses to go away. Why would I want something running in the background that I will never use. I can't even seem to uninstall it. Same with bluetooth. I never use bluetooth and never will, but the app is running in the background taking up memory. Is there a way to get rid of these (if I kill with ATK they pop up 10 secs later like the OP said) or is the consensus that they truly will not impact performance of the phone?

Jerry Hildenbrand

Space Cowboy
Staff member
Oct 11, 2009
Visit site
Amazon.com: Linux For Dummies, 6th Edition (9780764579370): Dee-Ann LeBlanc

Sorry couldn't resist :D

Go to the market. Download a terminal client. Issue the command

See how little those apps actually use in terms of resources while they aren't running. Note that it is much less than it would be if every app had to code all functions in itself like a BB. The phone runs BETTER with them in the background than it would without. There is nothing to be alarmed about here.

mskaplan

Nov 7, 2009
Visit site
LOL! Thanks for clarifying. I guess I am just paranoid coming from a Blackberry. Man things in the background would KILL my blackberry. Right now I am getting paranoid since I have weather, twitter, USA today running in the background along with all of this stuff that I DONT need, like Corporate Calendar, Bluetooth, etc. Is there a way to uninstall? I mean I never plan to use Bluetooth and I don't have exchange so Corp Calendar is useless..... But you seem confident in assuring me that my performance will not suffer as a result, no?

Jerry Hildenbrand

Space Cowboy
Staff member
Oct 11, 2009
Visit site
You're fine. Until the droid gets rooted you're stuck with VZW's ideal setup, which may differ from yours. It's probably a very usable setup for most everyone though.

Honestly, stop using a task killer and give it 2 or 3 days without rebooting. It will settle in very nicely. The OS will "learn" what types of services you use.

For example if you need location services alot, maps will have to open. As older unused things get closed, maps moves closer to the top of the list to stay open, and replaces whatever was there running before. Then when you need location services, they are already running and just need to display the data. This is an example, so maps is a made up service. Don't look for it :)

R

Roy Aguilera

I think it has a ton to do with how bad it was for apps to run on the BB's and how much lag it would cause. Bringing up the white screen of death. This is just the ex BB users way of detoxing. They keep using ATK every hour or so. Stop worrying and enjoy the freedom.

SharonW

Nov 3, 2009
Visit site
You're fine. Until the droid gets rooted you're stuck with VZW's ideal setup, which may differ from yours. It's probably a very usable setup for most everyone though.

Honestly, stop using a task killer and give it 2 or 3 days without rebooting. It will settle in very nicely. The OS will "learn" what types of services you use.

For example if you need location services alot, maps will have to open. As older unused things get closed, maps moves closer to the top of the list to stay open, and replaces whatever was there running before. Then when you need location services, they are already running and just need to display the data. This is an example, so maps is a made up service. Don't look for it :)

Oh man, the phone learns from you and starts to subordinate lesser-used apps? That is seriously cool!

jdella681

Nov 2, 2009
Visit site
Ah thank god! I thought there was something wrong with my phone. Coming from a blackberry storm I have the habit of viewing my memory usage to make sure its running optimal. Actually even with like 20 apps in the background running there's no lag! I gotta kick this habit..

Jerry Hildenbrand

Space Cowboy
Staff member
Oct 11, 2009
Visit site
I think it has a ton to do with how bad it was for apps to run on the BB's and how much lag it would cause. Bringing up the white screen of death. This is just the ex BB users way of detoxing. They keep using ATK every hour or so. Stop worrying and enjoy the freedom.

Perfect analogy. BB users need to realize Android is more like their computer OS than it is like the Blackberries. All the apps can share and use each others code if needed, rather than pull from a set of master functions.

Oh man, the phone learns from you and starts to subordinate lesser-used apps? That is seriously cool!

Learn is a bit of a stretch, but still a great way to describe it. Apps with functions you rarely use will get closed and rarely get reopened. Apps you use often will be elevated in status enough that they don't make it on the "lets close this 'cuz we ain't using it" list very often, and remain available for you to use. Sprint Nav is a great example on the Hero. Everything from Peep to Fb to the Browser use it for location service. It's much faster to let it stay alive in the background than it is to load it each time you need a function from it.

Android is the future for mobile devices.

hatch.duffy

Nov 2, 2009
Visit site
I check my task killer about every 10 minutes as well. Well at least I did when I first got the phone last week. I too am coming from a BB storm, and 3 other blackberries before that so it's probably just a habit to keep checking memory. A few days ago I stopped worrying about it and have not seen a difference at all in the performance of my phone.

Gotta kick those old BlackBerry habits!

darkstar

Nov 9, 2009
Visit site
my battery life was really suffering in the very beginning... the biggest improvement came from turning on the auto screen brightness option and taking gbhil's advice.. stopped killing processes... phone is running just fine..

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kerokekerol