HTC Droid & Google Voice Question

p4trickh#IM

Oct 20, 2009
Visit site
Ok so I got my Droid today and so far I love it. This thing is fast and very cool. Coming from a Palm Pre I was so used to lag, and now being lag free is an amazing thing.

However I have a question. I opted to only add data to my plan and not add SMS because I'm using Google Voice, which btw the integration between Androis OS and Google voice amazing, but now I have an issue. I want to setup my family & friends 5 numbers so I can make unlimited calls to my friends, but I'm not sure if adding their numbers will work now since Google Voice is making all the calls. Doesn't it call a google number first and then forward to the number I wanted to call? If so then adding say my parents number wouldn't work, since it is not actually dialing that number. Secondly I wonder if I can figure out what that number is and add it as a family/friend 5 number, would that then give me unlimited calls to everyone? I tried to check the My Verizon home page to see what number it is dialing, but so far no history has been recorded since I just got the phone. If anyone else has ran into this issue and figured it out, help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

largeselection

Nov 4, 2009
Visit site
Not sure if this is helpful. When I make a call with GV it says connecting via this number :518 314 9466. You can see your access number when you call using GV, it will show the access number above at least for a little bit.

*edit- I don't think this will work. See this google forum
http://www.google.com/support/forum/p/voice/thread?tid=39902d486b3682a3&hl=en

seems like the access number changes a bit so it may be tricky to add it to FF

Last edited:

p4trickh#IM

Oct 20, 2009
Visit site
Well there is one way to make it work. Just add my GV number to my friends and family 5 and then call my number directly, then select the option to place a call, then viola. It isn't as elegant but it will work for my long distance family calls. Oh well, I guess there is no such thing as a free lunch :D.