Phone Echos! What about you?

kegstand

Nov 16, 2009
Visit site
No noises like that but I noticed it has a ridge that sits funny on my ear and gets uncomfortable when talking for awhile, but I'm hoping the case I just got for it solves that.

hydrogenman#AC

Nov 24, 2009
Visit site
Newbie help: How to get rid of the echo issues on phone calls

To get into the programming menu, from the call screen, enter ##PROGRAM and press send. Enter code 000000.

In option 04, you can change the vocode option to EVRC-B, or 13K, it made my in-call audio sound better. I'm currently using the 13K setting. Your phone will reset after you exit and apply the new setting.

Warning: Be careful what options you change in the programming menu, you could potentially brick your phone.

Edit: Forgot to give the code of 000000 to enter at activation screen.

I'll save some newbies time.....or anyone else having issues with echos and problems with call quality.

I changed the VOcode option to EVRC-B and have never had a single issue with call quality since.

I had all kinds of echo and background noise issues before I changed it after reading about it in the pinned thread up top.

Millions of thanks to xliderider

wademac#AC

Nov 15, 2009
Visit site
Hydro...

If you will, check back with us at let us know if you have experienced any adverse effects from making your programming change for audio. I saw that fix, but saw where some people had experienced some freezing and problems after the fact.

I'd like to give it a try, but definitely don't want to screw up the phone.

Thanks!

xliderider

Nov 13, 2009
Visit site
I'll save some newbies time.....or anyone else having issues with echos and problems with call quality.

I changed the VOcode option to EVRC-B and have never had a single issue with call quality since.

I had all kinds of echo and background noise issues before I changed it after reading about it in the pinned thread up top.

Millions of thanks to xliderider

You're very welcome hydrogenman. :)

FYI to all, I switched to the EVRC-B codec shortly after that post was made after someone pointed out that the EVRC-B codec was the latest one available on the Droid.

I have noticed though that the Droid picks up a lot of background noise on the other end of the line. There have been a lot of complaints about this issue in various threads. I don't know if this will be addressed in future software updates.

Hydro...

If you will, check back with us at let us know if you have experienced any adverse effects from making your programming change for audio. I saw that fix, but saw where some people had experienced some freezing and problems after the fact.

I'd like to give it a try, but definitely don't want to screw up the phone.

Thanks!

wademac, the only adverse effects of switching to the EVRC-B codec, for some, were some kind of connection error on outgoing calls. It might have been due to a local network setting or something. If you should be one of the few that experience an error message for outgoing calls, then you can easily switch your vocode option to 13K or back to EVRC.

maggiem

Dec 16, 2009
Visit site
call echo

Before you tell me to search the forums... I have :)

We've tried all 3 settings and are still experiencing call echo on our end (other people think we sound fine). Any other suggestions or people with this problem?

homsie

Nov 19, 2009
Visit site
Have you tried turning the volume down a bit? BTW, do you get echo on the handset and over a headset (wired or bluetooth) as well?

Cory Streater

Sep 21, 2009
Visit site
Before you tell me to search the forums... I have :)

We've tried all 3 settings and are still experiencing call echo on our end (other people think we sound fine). Any other suggestions or people with this problem?

I've never had this issue with mine. If it were me I would go to the Verizon store and demonstrate the problem to them, and make them swap it out for a new one.

maggiem

Dec 16, 2009
Visit site
Verizon store is the next step. Out of the 3 droid phones we bought, 1 doesn't have this problem at all, 1 is intermittent (so that leads me to believe the cell network issues) and the 3rd one is apparently doing it most of the time. I tried a reboot tonight and if that doesn't work the store is the next stop.

@homsie this is just on the handset, we haven't tried with a headset