if i exchange phone will EVERYTHING transfer over?

rainbowbrite812

Nov 9, 2009
Visit site
my phone died on me once and wouldn't turn on at all with out a battery pull and a good 10 min wait, the browser works most of the time, when it doesn't i have to 'kill" or "force close" and reopen for it to work so the Best Buy people said to bring it in to swap it out...here's my question... i know that my apps and contacts will switch over since they're connected to my gmail account, but will my sms and pictures transfer over too?

salanester

Nov 6, 2009
Visit site
Contacts, apps, calendar, and phone settings will transfer.....I don't think sms will. I think pics are saved by default to your sd card. If you're talking about mms I think you're out of luck. Maybe someone else knows for sure.

rainbowbrite812

Nov 9, 2009
Visit site
i have sms back up already, but i'd like these pics and sms on the new phone too :(

and that was one of my questions...are pics/videos defaulted to save on SD card, or do i have to set that up somewhere? i couldn't find a place to do so...

salanester

Nov 6, 2009
Visit site
i wonder if they'll do an sd card switch when they swap out for a new phone... thanks for checking :)

There should be zero problem with them swapping the sd card, or at the very least booting up the new phone and letting you put in the sd card to check if anything is on it. Can't hurt to ask anyway. :)

yasuro

Nov 8, 2009
Visit site
i swapped yesterday due to bad phone mic. no problem swapping SD cards so my files were saved.

some things that did not transfer over:

1. home screen icon placement and type. you have to manually put back any shortcuts, widgets, etc. you used to have.

2. had to put new wallpaper back.

3. had to reconfigure ringtones and custom ringtones for contacts.

4. but all apps auto-synched, but i had to manually re-enter userid/pwds for some of them.

rainbowbrite812

Nov 9, 2009
Visit site
lol, wow, a thread i started just got added to the faq, that kinda made me smile :)

and, thanks for the info...i like how you can backup the Blackberry to past emails and sms trasferred over if you had to switch, i was hoping there'd be a way to do this too, but i'm thinking not. good to know everything else transferred though (other than random settings)

rainbowbrite812

Nov 9, 2009
Visit site
i just swapped my phone this morning and my apps DID NOT auto sync. if i went to the marketplace my paid apps were there and i had to download them, but none of my free apps were there :( also, my pop3 email info did not transfer over, i didn't think it would, but thought i'd mention it :)

salanester

Nov 6, 2009
Visit site
i just swapped my phone this morning and my apps DID NOT auto sync. if i went to the marketplace my paid apps were there and i had to download them, but none of my free apps were there :( also, my pop3 email info did not transfer over, i didn't think it would, but thought i'd mention it :)

Good to know, thanks for the update.

Kaus

Nov 9, 2009
Visit site
When I swapped my phone out for a camera issue nothing auto synced for me either cept contacts/calender/paid apps.

IzelTokatl

Dec 9, 2009
Visit site
I notice you get one chance at installing your "free" apps back. You have to quickly do it before googles cache flushes out. I've done a hard reset twice on my Eris doe to some boot issue. And once I get googled synced I can go to the market place and install all previously downloaded apps, but If I dont do them all right away.. say I was a day for some of the apps they dissapear and I just have to manually search again for those missing apps. Wish there was a history option somewhere.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
steve1084