Should I Get The Motorola Droid?

volcom.airsoft

May 12, 2010
Visit site
If I get the Motorola Droid, do you think once the X & the Droid 2 come out that it will feel 'out dated'?

Without rooting, are you able to get live wallpapers, WiFi, Google Navigation & all of the apps?

Last, will Android 2.3 be available for the Droid if & when it comes out?

dwe28

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
If I get the Motorola Droid, do you think once the X & the Droid 2 come out that it will feel 'out dated'?
No, because the Droid already has 2.2 (it will receive the OTA before the X and Droid 2) and with root, you can overclock/customize it to the point where it's just as good, if not better than phones already out.

Without rooting, are you able to get live wallpapers, WiFi, Google Navigation & all of the apps?
Yes

IDK
If you're not into hacking your phone, I'd say wait for the newer phones.

Stang68

Mar 15, 2010
Visit site
I don't think you should buy the Droid now. The X comes out in 16 days lol. The only reason you wouldn't want that is if you don't like the screen size or the lack of a physical QWERTY. Even the Droid 2 is rumored to come out in August. Basically, if you can wait, then for God's sake, wait.

borgey401

Mar 24, 2010
Visit site
you know man, its what YOU like the best. i have bought every droid that Verizon came out with and in my opinion the Droid has been the best one SO FAR. i have my Incredible but i still use my Droid. Yes the Droid X will be one hell of a phone and so wont the Droid2. If you like to hack phones then I would get the Droid because it's already rooted got TONS of hacks,roms,themes,kernels basically EVERYTHING you can do to a phone x10. Also the Droid2 is not even that much of an upgrade from the Droid. Everything that has been said the Droid2 can do, my Droid can do it. Only difference is no d-pad on the keyboard. i will be getting the Droid X i pre-ordered it the other day, but it's what YOU like. Don't feel like the Moto Droid is going to a a peice of sh*t once newer phones come out, that's going to happen every time you buy one ya know. Well that was just my 2 cents

volcom.airsoft

May 12, 2010
Visit site
you know man, its what YOU like the best. i have bought every droid that Verizon came out with and in my opinion the Droid has been the best one SO FAR. i have my Incredible but i still use my Droid. Yes the Droid X will be one hell of a phone and so wont the Droid2. If you like to hack phones then I would get the Droid because it's already rooted got TONS of hacks,roms,themes,kernels basically EVERYTHING you can do to a phone x10. Also the Droid2 is not even that much of an upgrade from the Droid. Everything that has been said the Droid2 can do, my Droid can do it. Only difference is no d-pad on the keyboard. i will be getting the Droid X i pre-ordered it the other day, but it's what YOU like. Don't feel like the Moto Droid is going to a a peice of sh*t once newer phones come out, that's going to happen every time you buy one ya know. Well that was just my 2 cents

If it can do anything any new phone can do.. count me in! :D haha. I guess if Droid 2 isn't available 'till August & it has the SAME things, I'll get a Droid :D

Rudolphe

Nov 17, 2009
Visit site
If it can do anything any new phone can do.. count me in! :D haha. I guess if Droid 2 isn't available 'till August & it has the SAME things, I'll get a Droid :D

You better check your facts. The Droid 2 has an improved keyboard, the processor is clocked twice as fast, it has double the ram and it's launching with Android 2.2. I don't know about you but a two month wait is worth it for a phone with vastly improved hardware.

0pusX

May 27, 2010
Visit site
i just bought my droid off ebay. not eligibel to upgrade til 2011 and im not paying full price for X or Incredible.

Rudolphe

Nov 17, 2009
Visit site
i just bought my droid off ebay. not eligibel to upgrade til 2011 and im not paying full price for X or Incredible.

I just posted mine on eBay yesterday. They're selling for like $300. Going to take that and see if i can find a Droid X for like 500 or something on eBay... If not i'll just pay the $200 for an upgrade and make $100 profit. Probably spend it on a car dock and a new headset or something.

klebron23

Dec 22, 2009
Visit site
Just bought a used Droid for $210 and it will be here tomorrow couldn't be happier and I get to keep my September upgrade to see what comes out at the end of the year (Droid Pro).

sniffs

Dec 3, 2009
Visit site
The Motorola Droid is still a very very capable device. Once it's got 2.2 on it, it'll still be able to keep up with the new 1ghz phones..

thebizz

phone addict
Nov 8, 2009
Visit site
i think froyo is the end of the road for the droid it may uniffically get gingerbread but with the talk to 1ghz processor and 512 ram. unless moto will overclock this thing and enable swap doubt we will see it

Brett

Retired Moderator
Nov 22, 2009
Visit site
yeah gingerbread will not be officially released to the droid. there seems to be a complete overhaul on the OS and UI to the point it needs the power of a bigger processor. though i can guarantee there will be gingerbread roms we can install which will give us most of the features. though i do plan on upgrading at the end of the year so im not too bothered by it. if it needs that much power even with JIT enabled then this could possibly be an amazing release with superior features that other phones can not touch. who knows.

takeshi

Jan 27, 2010
Visit site
I won't. I can't tell you what you'll think. You need to sort that out for yourself.

Yup. Have you done any research at all? This is basic info covered by the features and specs page for any device.

Try asking about Android 3.0.

You better check your facts. The Droid 2 has an improved keyboard, the processor is clocked twice as fast, it has double the ram and it's launching with Android 2.2. I don't know about you but a two month wait is worth it for a phone with vastly improved hardware.
"Vastly improved" is highly subjective. These are incremental improvements IMO. I'm not upgrading until there are 2GHz processors, dual cores and LTE. Or at least 2 out of the 3.

Last edited:

Ronnyp74

Jun 29, 2010
Visit site
If you like the slide out get the Droid 2 in a month or so...if not get the Droid X. The Droid's internal memory is horrible and you will run out of memory if you like downloading apps. Even if you root, you still can only save certain apps to the SD card without it affecting the phone.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laila Nance