Retrieving Contacts from broken phone

arhgoofy

Jun 30, 2010
Visit site
So I'm in a bit of an odd situation, a friend of mine was in a motorcycle accident and the touchscreen of his phone was broken and is just black but the phone is still on. So what I am wanting to do is pull his contacts off of the phone via USB in order to put them on a different phone. He is still in the hospital so we cannot get his password and his mom would like to have him all set up so whenever he's ready there will be a phone for him. Does anyone have any suggestions? All help is greatly appreciated thank you!

YBCold

Jun 5, 2010
Visit site
If you take the phone to Sprint they may be able just transfer over the contacts to the new phone with a devise that is hooked up to both phones at the same time.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk

zakth

Apr 19, 2010
Visit site
If you don't have the password then your only option is to have his mother take the phone into Sprint and have them transfer the contacts for him. Then again I'm not sure that will work as I was in Verizon and someone had asked them to do something similar and they said the only option was for the person to sign in using their google account.

acidsamuraix

Nov 20, 2009
Visit site
If he had his phone syncing with Google Contacts on the web, then any new phone that is gotten for him and signed into with his google account should pull the contacts from the web.

You can check by going to google.com/contacts and sign in with his information if anyone has access to that.

draggindime

Jun 22, 2010
Visit site
I broke my droid a couple of months ago and all I had to do with the loaner phone is sync it with google and I got my contacts same thing when I got my droid back. This is so much better than having to take it to the provider. But if you cant do that then any best buy will move your contacts from the old phone to the new phone for free even if you didnt get the phone from them

Menno

Coffee Addict
Nov 9, 2009
Visit site
If the screen is entirely dead, the cellbrite machine (what stores have to transfer contacts) won't be able to read them because you need to mount the SD card for it to work.

If he had the contacts transferred TO his droid initially, those original contacts will be on his SD card, look for a .csv file on the phone. You can copy that and put that in the new phone's SD card and you'll be good to go.

But as other's have said, unless he specifically disabled it, all his contacts should be in his gmail, so they will resync with the replacement android once he puts in his email.

ladyysweets

May 13, 2013
Visit site
i just drop my S3 and the phone is now black is going to the store the only way to get all contacts from phone all of them were not save to my gmail nor my SD card plz help me if u know of a way thanks.

andreas manz

May 14, 2013
Visit site
... I had my Samsung Galaxy screen broken. For me Samsung Kies worked just fine. Connect broken phone by USB and backup everything via Kies.

Last edited by a moderator:

robhall

Jun 23, 2013
Visit site
OK, I seriously JUST DID THIS like 2 hours ago with my broken HTC Evo phone. Same problem, can't see the screen. Do a search for "my phone explorer" on google on your PC. Click on the link to take you to google play. This brings up the client to download to your phone. Power "on" your phone and connect it to the PC with the usb cord. click on the download link, and it downloads to your phone (you don't have to do anything with your phone other than turn on the power and plug it in). Then go to fjsoft.at and download the software for the PC. Once you open and run the software for the PC (keep the phone plugged in to the computer), you will be able to see the contacts and other files on the phone, and you can save them as a vcard file on your computer. The gmail utility will allow you to upload the vcard file into contacts (unfortunately, I had to merge some duplicates, but that's better than losing all of the contacts). Maybe there is an easier way to do this, but it is what worked for me.

CatMidgley

Oct 11, 2013
Visit site
I'm having the same problem. My blue heler got a hold of my galaxy s4 the phone works fine. the screen is black. Does anyone know a for sure way to get SMS? contacts, email and photos are already backed up online.

Oct 25, 2013
Visit site
hi, thanks for telling about the program

today i bought an oven cleaner spray and put it in my bag.
then after a while i noticed it had a leakage and the liquid was all over my htc desire phone. and now, the screen doesn't work anymore.

i tried to use the program you mentioned, but every time i try to connect my phone through cable it says : "connection not established. no device connected to usb. " although everything seems to be right, my phone is powered on and charging, and i hear the windows notification sound for usb connection. and in "my computer" i seemy phone as removable disk, as i used to see before turning on the usb debugging from phone.

have any idea what might be wrong ? i really need my contacts :[ thanks in advance!

ThankYouThankYou

Oct 30, 2013
Visit site
This worked for me also with completely dead/blank screen. Thank you so much robhall. I signed up for the board just to thank you and make sure this solution gets highlighted.

irongreeny180

Nov 6, 2013
Visit site
hi, thanks for telling about the program

today i bought an oven cleaner spray and put it in my bag.
then after a while i noticed it had a leakage and the liquid was all over my htc desire phone. and now, the screen doesn't work anymore.

i tried to use the program you mentioned, but every time i try to connect my phone through cable it says : "connection not established. no device connected to usb. " although everything seems to be right, my phone is powered on and charging, and i hear the windows notification sound for usb connection. and in "my computer" i seemy phone as removable disk, as i used to see before turning on the usb debugging from phone.

have any idea what might be wrong ? i really need my contacts :[ thanks in advance!

I'm having this very same problem. I trapped my phone in the car door last night and its cracked the internal screen and slightly bent the phone. It's connecting with USB lead because the light is illuminating BUT this programme everyone is using is saying "CONNECTION NOT ESTABLISHED"...

If anyone could help I'd be so very grateful!

happilyfreckled

Dec 8, 2013
Visit site
Hi Robhall,

Your post is very helpful and I am trying to follow it. I installed the app onto my phone (through my PC since) as well as the PC version. But I can't establish a connection when I try to sync my contacts in the PC version of the software. The USB cable is hooked up, but the software gives me an error saying there is no USB cable. Did I miss a step?

Absolut Beatz

Dec 13, 2013
Visit site
Just had success retrieving contacts.. The only thing ill add to the instructions is to download your mobile device drivers from your Models website.. Like I have a LG Optimus so I went to the LG website and downloaded the device drivers for my model.... And it worked!!!

czarcismok

Jan 23, 2014
Visit site
Just tried it on Sony Xperia ST21i - works like a charm.
Friend ask me to retrieve contacts from phone with crushed screen. I've inserted my SIM card (PIN secured), downloaded program on my PC and just connected the phone via USB. Obviously I hadn't type my PIN but program without any problems established connection. All contacts was retrieved. It only has some sort of problem with... hmm, I don't recall now but it was third option on list :p

regards

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chelsea rae