do droids use service books like BB?

0pusX

May 27, 2010
Visit site
I haven't been getting emails unless I go in and physically check my email so do I need to have service books sent?

imekul

Sep 22, 2009
Visit site
No, they don't use service books.

I believe the default e-mail app is not instant/push e-mail, which means your phone would only check for new messages every X minutes or whenever you manually check.

If you used a Gmail account (and thus the Gmail app), the e-mails arrive instantly, like they do on the BlackBerry.

Also, you could use a third-party e-mail app, like K-9 Mail, which supports IMAP IDLE -- which really just means e-mails arrive to your phone as soon as they arrive to your e-mail address... just like the BlackBerry.

0pusX

May 27, 2010
Visit site
thanks! I'm using the Gmail acct but also that. Yahoo mail app too. Gmail seems fine but yahoo isn't pushing the emails through

likwidsoul

Feb 1, 2010
Visit site
There is actually a way to have gmail push your other mail accounts to your phone. I believe the article was on this site. Just search for it and you should find it.

takeshi

Jan 27, 2010
Visit site
I believe the default e-mail app is not instant/push e-mail, which means your phone would only check for new messages every X minutes or whenever you manually check.
It's not just the app but the account that matters. You can't make a non-push account push.

That said, the stock email app is push with email accounts that support it.

There is actually a way to have gmail push your other mail accounts to your phone. I believe the article was on this site. Just search for it and you should find it.
It's only push between gmail and the device though. Again, you can't make a non-push account push. Gmail's mail fetcher runs on its own polling schedule but one plus of having gmail poll is that you're not wasting your device's battery life since your device isn't constantly polling your mail accounts. It's about as close to BIS as you can get in the Android world.

Last edited:

miamibeef04

Nov 19, 2009
Visit site
to make sure your phone is getting the push for gmail, go into the app, hit menu -> accounts -> menu -> account settings and make sure the "sync is ON" on your phone. if there is not a green icon with arrows chasing each other on the right side, you're not set up to push.