Moto Droid Still Relevent

cocatholicdad#AC

Mar 12, 2010
Visit site
Was wondering in this age of a new super phone every 3 months is the original Droid still relevant?

When I have tried them out in the store they always seemed a tiny bit choppy in performance but that could be because everyone and their brother had been playing with it and left hundreds of apps running...

Now that they are getting really inexpensive would you say it is too late to bother with?

Just curious.

Last edited:

0pusX

May 27, 2010
Visit site
i just got mine a couple weeks ago. i am wary of buying phones at release. i give them time to work the bugs out

that1bb

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
The Droid is rock solid. I have no regrets. Even though the slide out keyboard is not that great, it is still useful on occasion, especially when signing on to websites.

likwidsoul

Feb 1, 2010
Visit site
The Droid 2 will be locked down just like the x is so a lot of people will probably stick with the Droid because of custom roms and themes.

TreyDaPrince

Oct 28, 2009
Visit site
The Droid 2 will be locked down just like the x is so a lot of people will probably stick with the Droid because of custom roms and themes.

Agreed. Let's not forget, the Droid is what put Android on the map. Less problems than most newer phones and still pushing strong. Its a reason why the Droid is only 2nd to Nexus One in terms of updates. Because Google knows that is where the heart is.

Joneser2006

Jul 14, 2010
Visit site
It better still be relevant, we just upgraded to two of them - free. I hope the learning curve is not too steep coming from BB Storm1. Totally noob, still trying to understand rooting, its effects and what it can do.

myriad46

Nov 6, 2009
Visit site
It better still be relevant, we just upgraded to two of them - free. I hope the learning curve is not too steep coming from BB Storm1. Totally noob, still trying to understand rooting, its effects and what it can do.

There's really no need to root right away, especially coming from Blackberry. Android is capable of quite a bit of power, capability and customization in its stock form. Try giving it a whirl on its own laurels before you assume you have to start hacking it. Rememember....Droid Does!!! It won't be long before you refer to it in the first person.

"Hey, what's the name of that restaurant around the corner?"

"I'm not sure, let's ask Droid!"

Good luck and welcome to the family.

SilverLight98

Nov 8, 2009
Visit site
I would still buy a Droid today but I would have to root it - after the Droid 2 comes out I doubt that Motorola will continue with updates and so, we'd have to rely on the dev community.

Chillout80s

May 21, 2010
Visit site
The Droid is rock solid. I have no regrets. Even though the slide out keyboard is not that great, it is still useful on occasion, especially when signing on to websites.

+1 to this, the Droid is still as solid as ever and works great. I have no regrets buying mine either. Everybody knows in the technology world, something new is released every 3-4 months so having the latest and greatest every time is damn near impossible unless you have the funds to go out and buy the newest craze. I knew when I bought the droid that sooner or later, and well before my "new ever 2 deal came around again from verizon" that it would be outdated and some point. But given that it's the flagship phone for the whole android phenom. , I don't see it as becoming irrelevant anytime soon. At heart it's still and android and you can root and overclock it to increase performance if that's an issue for you.

I've been non rooted since I got the phone and my only real complaint is that something with live wallpapers, it will lag..but that's to be expected and not anything that should be a show stopper for anybody.

SnydersWeb

Mar 31, 2010
Visit site
I plan to stick with my Droid 1 until VZW starts rolling out LTE.

This might take a couple of years, but the bottom line is that "device chasing" can cost a fortune. Compounding this is that it looks like Android itself is in a period of rapid evolution.

Sit back, enjoy the Droid for what it is and then move on when there are enough compelling reasons to upgrade.

anthonyzul

Dec 27, 2009
Visit site
I love my Droid. Every day I find new ways to make it "new" again! Even after all of these newer, supposedly, better phones have come out I still want my Droid. In fact I've been actively converting people to the Droid. I just got one the other day for a close friend of mine!

At some point I will root the phone.. but for now I love it just the way it is!!

G

GenericMessage

Oh it by far is!

BUT

I say wait for Christmas. I know four months sounds like a LOT of time, but Moto promised 5 new android phones by year end! One of them is claimed to be the Droid 2 or Droid pro.
Possibly even that 2Ghz with the Tegra 2 in it that they said would come out this year.

I like the X, I think it's nifty, but I am waiting until the holiday season to get ANYTHING because there will be a LOT of new android phones! Everyone realized what happened last year with the Droid and its MASSIVE success. Everyone will try to jump on that bandwagon this holiday season, and as the consumers; we'll win.

thebizz

phone addict
Nov 8, 2009
Visit site
The Droid is a great phone I'm surprised I made it so long on this phone usually by month 3 its time for something new.. but with that being said I'm still trying to figure. Out if I want to pick up the galaxy s when released or just hold onto my Droid until I can get an HTC device with the new snapdragon with lte if they release one in nov-dec timeframe

luke31

Mar 16, 2010
Visit site
I actually bought my Droid only about 2 weeks ago, with full knowledge of the imminent release of the Droid X. I do not regret this decision at all. The Droid is an amazing device, and the ease of rooting it and installing custom ROMs on it is purely priceless. As a Vanilla Android device, you can really make it any flavor you want. Overclocking it to 800mhz has made it run virtually flawlessly. All in all, I think the Droid will stick around for much longer.

takeshi

Jan 27, 2010
Visit site
Was wondering in this age of a new super phone every 3 months is the original Droid still relevant?
The answer to any question like this really depends on what you're specifically looking for in a device. If you're into rooting and modding then the Droid is absolutely still relevant. If not, it can still be relevant. Again, it's a subjective matter. Give us some more info on your needs/wants and we can give some meaningful responses rather than the general answers that you're getting.

entwined82

Jan 24, 2010
Visit site
It will remain relevant and there is still interest because of the unlocked boot loader.

Exactly. Devices that are unlocked and have development communities can last a lot longer. The G1 is still kicking around thanks to Cyanogen and other devs who won't let it die out.

The Droid will be around and supported unofficially for at least another year I bet, if not longer. Depends on what happens Gingerbread and beyond but remember just because there is newer software doesn't mean the old software is now broken. I love 2.2 and if I never saw another update beyond that I might be okay with it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
unirockers