Bad To Leave Screen On All Night, Every Night?

impaler

Jan 28, 2009
Visit site
Hey all,
Loving my Droid, and went ahead and got the multimedia dock. I'm thinking about replacing my alarm clock with the phone, and just dropping it in the dock at night. Love the alarm clock function. My question, though, is, does the screen stay on ALL NIGHT when in the dock? If so, is this bad for the device, the screen, etc? I realize burn-in isn't an issue, but will I seriously reduce the life of the Droid if I use it in the multimedia dock at night, rather than put it on the standard AC charger? THanks.

ebruot

Jan 23, 2010
Visit site
I've kept mine in the dock since i got it in December and have seen no bad effects so far. I'm running a 2.2 rom so after a few minutes it starts a screensaver.

G

GenericMessage

These things are like any other screens, they can be used for thousands of hours without running the risk of burn-in.

But, in the event of burn-in, you can always fix it by having a all black screen on to wipe it clean.

impaler

Jan 28, 2009
Visit site
These things are like any other screens, they can be used for thousands of hours without running the risk of burn-in.

But, in the event of burn-in, you can always fix it by having a all black screen on to wipe it clean.

Yeah, my question wasn't related to burn-in, as I mentioned in OP. I am not concerned about that, since it's LCD. I'm more concerned about wear and tear, the phone getting hot, dead pixels, etc., as a result of keeping it on the multimedia dock all night.

G

GenericMessage

Yeah, my question wasn't related to burn-in, as I mentioned in OP. I am not concerned about that, since it's LCD. I'm more concerned about wear and tear, the phone getting hot, dead pixels, etc., as a result of keeping it on the multimedia dock all night.

Then just turn the screen off...........

Not like you need to look at it in your sleep

takeshi

Jan 27, 2010
Visit site
+1. You can:

1. Worry about it.
2. Not worry about it.
3. Turn the screen off since you're sleeping anyway and not worry about it.

The alarm works just fine with the screen off (how I use it). How long do you intend to keep the Droid for anyway? You're likely to replace it before "wear" is an issue.

PJnc284

Nov 6, 2009
Visit site
You probably won't own the phone long enough for it to matter. I use mine as an alarm clock with the multimedia dock. You can dim the screen and it goes into a screensaver type mode with a clock that bounces around the screen.

bonfilio

Jan 17, 2010
Visit site
No, it'll be fine. LCDs backlit with LED (such as the Droid) don't suffer from the lifetime dimming that occurs with CFL backlighting.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Markizta