Email application deleting my emails?

bigbossyard

Nov 13, 2009
Visit site
Hello,

This is my first post, but I've looked around a little and I'm running into a brick wall. I'm fairly tech savy, but I think I'm missing something here. I've been using the Droid email application and configured 3 different accounts to receive email there. All of my accounts I configured to 'never' deleted an email from the server. What has been happening is that I am getting new email notifications on my tool bar, I drag it down to look at them, then they disappear. I've only been able to open up one of them, I sent a reply via the phone, and then it, too, disappeared from my inbox. The only record I have of it is a sent message. To further my frustration, regardless of the "never" delete from server setting, the phone did delete the original messages.

I deleted the email account in question, on the phone, did a hard reset, and set up the same account again. The same thing happened. I'd get the notification, go to my inbox, and before even clicking the folder with the new message, it would be gone. I don't get it. I have very few apps installed and none of them manage my email folder. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

slikone27

Nov 4, 2009
Visit site
Hello,

This is my first post, but I've looked around a little and I'm running into a brick wall. I'm fairly tech savy, but I think I'm missing something here. I've been using the Droid email application and configured 3 different accounts to receive email there. All of my accounts I configured to 'never' deleted an email from the server. What has been happening is that I am getting new email notifications on my tool bar, I drag it down to look at them, then they disappear. I've only been able to open up one of them, I sent a reply via the phone, and then it, too, disappeared from my inbox. The only record I have of it is a sent message. To further my frustration, regardless of the "never" delete from server setting, the phone did delete the original messages.

I deleted the email account in question, on the phone, did a hard reset, and set up the same account again. The same thing happened. I'd get the notification, go to my inbox, and before even clicking the folder with the new message, it would be gone. I don't get it. I have very few apps installed and none of them manage my email folder. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Interesting... Don't know why it would do that. You dont have a desktop app open somewhere (like outlook) that is pulling messages off the server right? I think by default outlook does unless you check leave a copy of message on the server option.

afm528

Nov 18, 2009
Visit site
Me, too, -- emails saved on phone?

I am having the same problem. I've been to a few forums trying to find the answer. Perhaps the problem is that the messages are not saved locally to the phone? I am not sure whether they are or not, but if they are NOT, that would explain it since I DO have my laptop also pulling down the emails and saving them locally, then deleting them from the POP server once they've been downloaded. If they're deleted from the POP server, and not saved locally on the phone, that would explain the magic disappearance

So does anyone know if the bundled email application saves the emails to the device? Are there any suggestions for a more customizable email client for Android 2.0?

thanks

oneplusky

Nov 18, 2009
Visit site
My take (for POP3 email accounts) is that the Droid will go to the server according to schedule you set up (every 15 minutes is default, I think) and it will just mirror what it sees on the server. So if you have several emails on the Droid and then pull them down onto your PC, the next time the Droid refreshes, the messages will disappear from the Droid. A quirky way to keep the message on your Droid 'permanently' is to delete it on the Droid. Then it seems to just sit in the deleted folder- not sure if it will get deleted after some set period of time.

So to be sure to be able to see messages on your Droid when you are out of the office you have to disable any auto-download you may have set up on your PC/MAC. I did this and now just hit send/receive every 10 minutes or so as I work at my desk- no biggie. I think this might explain afm528's situation but not bigbossyards- if there is not a running email app pulling messages off your servier it is a mystery why they are disappearing from your Droid.

ejf

Nov 29, 2009
Visit site
Mail App

The Droid only sees email on the server and does not save it locally - there is a work around. Against all logic, delete the message and it will stay in the trasch folder until you empty that. K9 mail is a much better app than the native one included on the phone. do not use the Beta version if you have the Droid or OS 2.0 - many problems.

newdroiduser

Dec 23, 2009
Visit site
Possible work-around

I have a work around that works for me, maybe it will for you. In the Outlook 2007 account settings (under "More Settings" then the "Advanced" tab), I selected "Remove from server when deleted from Deleted Items". This leaves the email message on the server, so that it won't automatically be removed from the Droid inbox. On the Droid itself, I changed the Incoming account settings to delete "When I delete from Inbox".

I now can have these mail messages in my Outlook and Droid Inbox. For me, the server filling up is not much of an issue because I typically delete most of the mail from my Droid inbox (which will delete it from the server). Also, after a few months, I also delete my old "deleted" messages in my Outlook inbox (which will also delete them from my Droid inbox as a side effect).

Just figured this out today, so I'll see if the solution works for the long term...

dagostin

Nov 9, 2009
Visit site
pop3 is really oldschool to me and designed for use with one computer since it pulls the data and stores it locally. If there's any way to configure it for imap, you should look into that cause it's far superior

drowe#AC

Dec 22, 2009
Visit site
What I do is to have gmail poll my pop accounts and pop them into my gmail folder and then it gets pushed to the droid. You can have it save the pop mail on the server and then you can get it on your desktop or have gmail delete it from the server. I just use the gmail app to look at them.

David

dekanfrus

Oct 28, 2009
Visit site
I was having a similar issue, and have fixed it based on slikone's suggestion with outlook.

For anyone in the future having a problem, I'll explain what was going on and what I did.

Basically, my wife has a POP email account for her small business, and outlook is setup to check the mail. I just got her a Droid (came from a Blackberry) and couldn't figured out why her emails were disappearing. Not only did they get deleted from the phone, but the webmail that we can access was having the same problem. This only happened to messages in the inbox. Anything in the trash or sent items were still there. So, I read and searched (and called our email provider support department, which didn't offer any real help) and came across this thread. So my resolution was this: I had to go open outlook, go to options > account settings > email account > advanced settings and check the little box that tells it to leave a message on the server. Voila, works like a charm now.

Hopefully that will help someone else, in the future.

stewdaddy

May 26, 2010
Visit site
It's Intentional

Dissapointing, but this is on purpose.
I have now spoken with 2 different reps at HTC regarding this on my Incredible. The first guy I spoke with was shocked when I told him that there was not even an option in the settings to leave emails on the phone in the inbox and said he couldn't understand why they(htc) would do that without at least an option.

The second guy called me to explain that my Incredible was never supposed to be able to leave messages on the phone once removed from the server. He said that the ability to use it this way prior to the upgrade to 2.2 was a "fluke" as no other HTC phones allow this. Judging by what I've read in lots of forums there were tons of "flukes" out there.
Even K9 Mail has an option in the settings to do exactly this but HTC's own mail program can't. Maybe that app will work for some of you.

Many of us don't like cloud computing with our email. We like to view it on our phones, download it to Outlook or another program later to keep our server's from filling up, but still be able to see the ones we didn't delete from our phones until we're done with them - this is not the google model and htc is following their lead.

Since this won't work and htc mail does not provide us with a "saved" folder, I have been saving emails I want to reference later in the "deleted" folder as was suggested above.

Since it worked before 2.2 as a "fluke" you would think they would include a simple option to give US the choice.

tashiasmall

Oct 6, 2010
Visit site
Dekanfrus,
Would this work around be possible for Outlook 2003? Our user with a Captivate is having the exact same issue and it's driving him to the point of wanting to return the phone after one day.
Any help would be greatly appreciated!

stephenandrew

Oct 6, 2010
Visit site
That is true there is bug in droid but you can solve by the following procedure.

Go to your outlook, then options > account settings > email account > advanced settings and check the little box that tells, leave a message on the server.

gregogc

Apr 18, 2012
Visit site
OK, so the only account I'm currently accessing on my Galaxy S2x is Gmail, and I may occasionally check the inbox, directly from the google page in IE.
The idea of previously viewed items being wiped from the server seems to explain why they would vanish on my phone, except the timing seems to be off.

I happened to read my latest gmail item early this afternoon, via my PC, and left the item in my inbox (where it still resides.) This evening (7 hrs later), I got a notification of a new email (I have driving mode turned on, so i heard the notice.) The visual flag only showed on the e-mail app, not on the Gmail one, so I opened it. Sure enough, it was the one I'd checked earlier on my PC. Touched it and it vanished.

I don't use Outlook for Gmail on my PC, so what would I need to change, (either in my google account 'settings' page, or on the phone settings) to get the fresh inbox items (on my Android email app) not to vanish when I tap on them?

Last edited:

jebaum26

May 14, 2012
Visit site
So just upgraded several employees to the Android. They all have POP3 accounts. Similar problems to the ones listed above. If you receive the mail on your phone, all is good. the minute they use outlook 2003 at their desks, the mail is downloaded to their outlook, and taken off the server.
The mail in the inbox of the phone also gets deleted on the next refresh.

Leaving the checkbox in outlook "leave mail on server" works, but eventually the POP3 email box will fill up.

There has to be another way. The K9 client is good, and will work because it downloads a LOCAL copy.

is there a way to great a secondary mailbox on the phone and have a copy transferred into that box when it hits the phone? That way when the phone syncs and deletes the mail, the copy will be in this secondary box?

Jesperodde

Oct 15, 2012
Visit site
Hi there!
This seems to be an old ? and weird ? issue, popping up again: Android 4.0.3 only showing email if still on server.

My situation:
PC, Outlook: Don?t keep copies on server when retrieving mail.

• HTC phone: showing all email until I delete them on the phone.
  • Acer tablet: showing all email until I delete them on the tablet.

After Android update on tablet, Oct 3rd, the situation is this:

• HTC phone: showing all email until I delete them on the phone.
  • Acer tablet: On check, first deleting all old email which was deleted on server, then displaying new email (if still on server).

This is the only change since the 4.0.3 update. Deleted on tablet (updated) but not on phone. Until Oct 3rd the tablet was showing all email until I deleted them myself.

But I am happy that my Outlook does not delete email when deleted on server? :-\

Android ? please give us a hint!

Chris Stennie

Jan 16, 2013
Visit site
Same issue happened to me - I upgraded from a phone that was a on Android 2.3.3 to 4.1.1. Apparently the email app on the newer version has 2-way sync and my previously one did not. Because of this difference, you MUST have your Outlook client leave the emails on the POP3 server. Otherwise, they will just keep vanishing.

In Outlook 2007:
- Tools -> Account Settings...
- Select your email account and click the "change..." button
- Click on "More Settings..." on the bottom right of the window
- Click on the "Advanced" tab
- On the bottom under "Delivery", check the box for "Leave a copy of messages on the server", then check the box for "Remove from server after X days" (I just left it at the default of 10)

Save your settings and you will not have Android email disappearing anymore!

Flyinglow

May 12, 2013
Visit site
The email app has a save function. When viewing the email, click Menu and select Save. It will save to a Saved Email folder on sdcard0. You can then access the email from there. Stupid system but better than nothing. I tried the K9 app but it doesn't solve the problem.

GODisaRefuge4Us

Dec 23, 2016
Visit site
CropperCapture[1].jpg
Same problem when using the native Email app that comes with my Anrdoid phone (the app name is just "Email"; see image above). I use gmail, so my solution may only apply to gmail users.

I found the answer here:
Read Gmail messages on other email clients using POP

After visiting that link, scroll down to the "Troubleshoot problems" area, and click on "I want to download emails on multiple email clients". There is a #1 and #2 in that section, but I only needed to do #1.

In case that link breaks in the future, here is what I did:
When creating a new account in the Email app, add "recent:" in front of your email address like this:
recent:example@gmail.com

When I do this, my emails are NOT deleted from the server, which means that I can still use Outlook on my desktop PC to get my emails like normal.

FYI:
In the Email app "Incoming settings", I do have "delete email from server" set to never, but the app still deletes email from the server. Adding "recent:" in front of my email address during account setup as described above solved the problem for me.

My gmail settings for POP are set to "delete gmail's copy" when messages are accessed using POP.

I prefer to use the native Email app, since I only casually check emails with my phone; it's not my main way of emailing. Also, using it means I don't need to download yet another app, and one less app that needs to keep updating itself.

Last edited:

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
roshanchoudhary