Force the Froyo OTA to your Droid now!

tpilkington

Feb 8, 2010
Visit site
I have the same problem...pretty slow...also tends to lock up on occasion. I'm running the benchmarkpi benchmark test...not very impressive. I agree that it does seem to run a bit faster after a while...but certainly not faster than 2.1.

white_star_32

Nov 17, 2009
Visit site
i know this is prolly a lame question - but my friend is running the stock rom with root. he wants to update, but will he lose root? I'm on a custom rom so I'm embarrassingly unsure about this... 0_o

WAM

Jan 25, 2010
Visit site
i know this is prolly a lame question - but my friend is running the stock rom with root. he wants to update, but will he lose root? I'm on a custom rom so I'm embarrassingly unsure about this... 0_o

if your friend is rooted then uses the official verizon update he will 99.99% defiantly lose root

sixstorm

Apr 14, 2010
Visit site
I've noticed that 2.2 can be faster than 2.1 in some areas, but unless I reboot every couple of days, things tend to slow back down. Here are my pros and cons so far:

Pros:
* Gallery actually shows pics and vids that you just took. With 2.1, I would have to wait hours or use Astro File Browser in order to get the gallery to recognize new pics/vids.
* I guess it's faster . . .
* 5 homescreens with stock launcher.

Cons:
* Random slowness and freezing.
* Swiping between home screens half way works in stock launcher.
* No task killers that really work with 2.2.

I'm really curious if it would be better to just root my Droid and run a custom 2.2-based ROM. I just want speed and compatibility with apps.

gotice

Jan 26, 2010
Visit site
Is there a way to go back to 2.1, if I pushed the ota version on 2.2 that was posted earlier last week? I would rather wait for the update then deal with the bugginess of this version of 2.2

TaylorFC

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
Sorry if this hs been posted already (I didn't see it anywhere), but what happened to the alarm clock? It was there on 2.1, I forced 2.2 and the alarm clock is gone.
I know there are many in the Market, but I'm curious why it's gone.

sperho

May 31, 2010
Visit site
Sorry if this hs been posted already (I didn't see it anywhere), but what happened to the alarm clock? It was there on 2.1, I forced 2.2 and the alarm clock is gone.
I know there are many in the Market, but I'm curious why it's gone.
It's now built into the clock and it's called, well, "clock".

Last edited:

YourMobileGuru

Formerly VZWRocks
Feb 25, 2010
Visit site
It's now built into the clock and it's called, well, "clock".

Yep but one thing I noticed is that when the phone is in the dock it no longer leaves the dock clock/weather/etc screen up the whole time. It goes into a screen saver mode with a digital date and time appearing and disappearing in various places on the screen.

alphabets

Nov 23, 2009
Visit site
Yep but one thing I noticed is that when the phone is in the dock it no longer leaves the dock clock/weather/etc screen up the whole time. It goes into a screen saver mode with a digital date and time appearing and disappearing in various places on the screen.

yep ,i hope there is an apk somehwere for 2.2 that takes u back to the stock 2.0 dock screen. i had it installed after the 2.1 update. this new dockscreen is a joke. who wants screensaver on a desk all day? im at work...i want to see the weather. plus when its in screensaver mode i dont get the flashing led on notifications. what a joke.

YourMobileGuru

Formerly VZWRocks
Feb 25, 2010
Visit site
yep ,i hope there is an apk somehwere for 2.2 that takes u back to the stock 2.0 dock screen. i had it installed after the 2.1 update. this new dockscreen is a joke. who wants screensaver on a desk all day? im at work...i want to see the weather. plus when its in screensaver mode i dont get the flashing led on notifications. what a joke.

I'll settle for the ability to turn off the screensaver and get your notifications back.

Here is a question, if i force the OTA, which i already did, will i still get official OTA updates from here on out?

Not sure if it will be pushed to you or not but it should be no problem at all to install it manually using the same instructions we get on this site every there is a new release.

alphabets

Nov 23, 2009
Visit site
I'll settle for the ability to turn off the screensaver and get your notifications back.

yeah, i actually like the desk screen when its not in screen saver mode. screen saver mode should be an option...and i cant figure out for the life of me why it doesnt give led notifications. so silly. so at work all day i have a bouncing green clock with no tell of whether or not i received a text or email, etc....????? u have to be kidding.

its a nice option at night....but thats it.

Sploinkin

Aug 12, 2010
Visit site
Is anyone else having problems with the browser? I forced 2.2 and Flash back when it was first posted here and since then sometimes when I'm scrolling, the browser will literally freak out. It will start zooming in and twitching around like it is having a seizure.

I am also noticing that all apps and widgets on the home screen take a long time to load (5-10 seconds usually) and sometimes I can't swipe to a different screen (I have to use the little tab bullets down in the lower corners). Too many problems for me to not complain about.

I almost forgot, the damn phone beeps when it hits 15% battery. If I'm using my phone enough to get down to 15% I sure as hell know it is at 15% and don't need an annoying honking noise. Anyone know how to turn off this notification on stock 2.2?

Last edited:

MedlongOne

Dec 27, 2009
Visit site
So funny story today...I went in to my local VZW store today because I'm having problems with my phone. The rep asked me if I had the updates yet. I told her I downloaded and installed it myself. She said I shouldn't do that but wait for it to be sent. Something about it not being good for phone. Silly woman. Probably tells people they need an App killer too.

YourMobileGuru

Formerly VZWRocks
Feb 25, 2010
Visit site
So funny story today...I went in to my local VZW store today because I'm having problems with my phone. The rep asked me if I had the updates yet. I told her I downloaded and installed it myself. She said I shouldn't do that but wait for it to be sent. Something about it not being good for phone. Silly woman. Probably tells people they need an App killer too.

Those reps are gonna be in for a shock when the first time they try to show a customer how to do a task killer only to find out they don't work in Froyo ;-)

monse120186

Sep 24, 2010
Visit site
Hello guys, I have been trying to update my phone but have not succeded.

I just got a brand new Motorola Droid 4 days ago. So no modifications have been made to the device.

I have tried to do it thru my PC, placing the update.zip file on the root of the SD, and I have also done it directly thru the phone. No matter how I do it I always end up with the same message:

-- Install from sdcard...
Finding update package...
Opening update package...
Verifying update package...
E: failed to verify whole-file signature
E: signature verification failed
Installation aborted.

I have tried downloading the file from different servers. And I'm not naming the file "update.zip.zip"

Any ideas??? apreciate the help! :D

Thx

Ratchet

Jan 14, 2010
Visit site
monse, go into settings/about phone and give us the build and kernal info.
Are you positive this phone is brand new or could it possibly be a refurb?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dawncompton