I have the M Droid and can't see to get it to see the .avi file (Top Gear) that I have on it and am about to travel and really need to know if it is me or the file extension...

Thanks!
    11-15-2009 07:58 PM
    if it's an avi, chances are that it's a divx codec encoded file, which the droid cannot play.

download something to convert the file over to something the droid supports (h.264 encoded mpegs)

i reccoemend format factory, i think it's easy enough to just get going with, but has some more tools once you want to do more.

plus it's free!

Format Factory - Free media file format converter
    11-15-2009 08:01 PM
    why do u call it the m droid
    11-15-2009 08:05 PM
    i reccoemend format factory, i think it's easy enough to just get going with, but has some more tools once you want to do more.

plus it's free!

Would you happen to know what settings should be used to get a playable file? I tried to use a psp video converter - big fail!!!!
    11-15-2009 08:26 PM
    why do u call it the m droid
    Motorola vs. HTC
    11-15-2009 09:46 PM
    if it's an avi, chances are that it's a divx codec encoded file, which the droid cannot play.

download something to convert the file over to something the droid supports (h.264 encoded mpegs)

plus it's free!

Thank you, will try.
    11-15-2009 09:48 PM
    My Mcafee gave a warning on that file, but chose "Any video converter" and this has worked fine to a *.mp4 format.
    11-15-2009 10:25 PM
    Motorola vs. HTC
    Usually when people say Droid people get it so u just say Eris for HTC's version
    11-15-2009 10:52 PM
    Would you happen to know what settings should be used to get a playable file? I tried to use a psp video converter - big fail!!!!
    the ipod settings should work fine.

i'll reinstall it soon (i haven't reinstalled a lot of stuff since i put w7 on this computer) and get you a setting that works for sure.

anything that encodes in the h.264 mpg format should work

i've used it to put videos on my zuneHD, and i copied one of them onto my droid just to see how it looks and it played just fine

My Mcafee gave a warning on that file, but chose "Any video converter" and this has worked fine to a *.mp4 format.
    that's why mcafee is total crap.
    11-16-2009 12:42 AM
    I use DoubleTwist for syncing music and video. It converts the video and works great.
    11-16-2009 01:42 AM
    I have found handbrake works well to compress video for both iphone and droid

HandBrake
    11-16-2009 01:56 AM
    Are the encoded videos full/widescreen, or do they have the black borders along the edges??? I have the borders, and it SUX!!!
    11-16-2009 11:52 AM
    Droid is Verizon. HTC is the Eris.by whoever.Motorola is Droid HTC Is Eris with android OS. HTC is not Droid. It has android OS. Simple LOL.
    11-16-2009 12:06 PM
    Actually, Verizon calls it "DROID ERIS by HTC."

The Motorola is called "DROID by Motorola."

Apparently, all Android phones on Verizon will be referred to as the Droid phone lineup. Weird, I know.
    11-16-2009 12:15 PM
    actually, the DROID branding makes a lot of sense when it comes to simplifying decisions for the more average consumer. since they all run android, the buyer knows what to basically expect when getting a "droid" phone, similar with when they look at all blackberry phones, or windows mobile, etc.

the only thing that was weird in their execution is that the droid by moto is just the droid, which causes confusion.
    11-16-2009 12:46 PM
    actually, the DROID branding makes a lot of sense when it comes to simplifying decisions for the more average consumer. since they all run android, the buyer knows what to basically expect when getting a "droid" phone, similar with when they look at all blackberry phones, or windows mobile, etc.

the only thing that was weird in their execution is that the droid by moto is just the droid, which causes confusion.
    That is what I was inferring, I guess I just wasn't quite clear in my communication delivery.
    11-16-2009 02:00 PM
    These are the format factory settings I use. Works great for widescreen movies you may have:

11-16-2009 02:28 PM
    h.264, 720 x 480 (D1), AAC, 30ftp
    See more at MOTODEV > Products > DROID by Motorola

For tools, check out iskysoft video converter.
    It is able to convert avi wmv mod mov mkv mpeg flv 3gp, etc.. Bunch video conversion supported!
    12-11-2009 01:38 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD