Any way to set AutoText or something?

RJNavarrete

Nov 16, 2009
Visit site
One feature I miss or can't seem to find is "AutoText" which is kind of like an autocorrect. Is there anything like that on the Droid?

For example:
I would type "ILY" on my Storm and that would change into I Love You.

Any tips or suggestions? :confused:

largeselection

Nov 4, 2009
Visit site
Hmm... interesting question. Couldn't add to the custom dictionary the way you can on BB. I know there are apps where you can have preset texts/formats, so if you wanted a quick way to send I love you as a text or the beginning of a text you could do that, but I'm not sure a way to insert it on the fly by typing "ILY" or some such. I'll get back to you if I find something.

iviebaker

Dec 28, 2009
Visit site
Auto Text

I'm looking for that auto text app too. Did anyone find one? I really miss having that application, like I did on my BB. It saved so much time!

john galt

Dec 22, 2009
Visit site
You can with Handcent SMS New. It's in Settings> Auto text setting> Auto text list setting> Add

Huh?? I am using Handcent. I REALLY want to add autotext functionality. I looked every possible place I could think of in the app and could not find "autotext settings" anywhere. Please supply more info. Thanks

Cory Streater

Sep 21, 2009
Visit site
It's right where Chris said it was. Open Handcent and then click on the wrench (settings) icon. Scroll down to the Keyboard setting section and then click: Auto text setting> Auto text list setting> Add. From what I can tell it only works with the physical keyboard.

john galt

Dec 22, 2009
Visit site
Ahhhhh... I see the problem. I was using Handcent. But, was mistakenly opening the app thru the native "messaging" icon - I opened Hancent directly and Viola - there's the option. Thanks for the clarification,when you sorta restated his post it started making more sense. Thanks again.

john galt

Dec 22, 2009
Visit site
Well, I got it completely figured out. However, it ONLY works with slide out keyboard - basically useless since I rarely ever use the physical keyboard.

Well, at least my knowledge base is increasing.

YoungChrisG

Nov 10, 2009
Visit site
Well, I got it completely figured out. However, it ONLY works with slide out keyboard - basically useless since I rarely ever use the physical keyboard.

Well, at least my knowledge base is increasing.

Yeah I wasn't aware of that when I posted lol. Sorry. I use auto text as much as I use the physical keyboard so that would explain my ignorance lol. Maybe the dev will fix that issue. :D

Feb 27, 2010
Visit site
Whats the advantage of using Handcent? New to Droid and I dont want to add junk on my phone want to keep it running smooth and keep all my space for the application worth having and using.

jbharman45

Oct 30, 2009
Visit site
With the Droid, you can do something like that by going to Settings > Language & Keyboard > User Dictionary, which will allow you to add item that will be included in the corrections. I added all the relevant email addresses, user names, personal names, etc. that are always a bother to have to type out all the way. Additionally, I now have gone back to Better Keyboard, as it offers suggestions even on the physical keyboard.

Kathy145

Feb 9, 2011
Visit site
I have an HTC EVO Shift. Coming from BB, I really miss this "auto text"/ "shorthand" option as well. I like the keyboard that comes with the phone already. Is there an app that I can use that does not require using a different keyboard?

I mainly use the touch keyboard. So, the Handcent trick doesn't really work for me either.

Any help would be appreciated! Thanks!

Kathy145

Feb 9, 2011
Visit site
Hello
with "Smart Keyboard Pro" you have custom AutoText even without the physical keyboard

I downloaded "Smart Keyboard Trial" to try it, as I had not tried this particular app. So far I love it! I especially love the skins feature. I have a choice on keyboard style. From a pink keyboard to one with more space between keys. I haven't had much typing time with yet, but the customizations and features are GREAT!! So far, so good. Time will tell, but I will keep a good thought.

Thanks for the great advice!

blindyism

Sep 8, 2012
Visit site
was this ever solved? i tried to add "emma" as my email address with my email address in the phrase field and emma in shortcut... however in android 4.2.2 on my vzw galaxy nexus, when i type in emma it doesn't auto expand... It suprises me that an OS Such as android doesn't make this better and eassier to do! was an ios user;;; and 98% of my wor at ZipNadaZilch was done from my phone just because I had shortcut keystrokes:)
thanks for any help i want these to be system wide;;;; so i can login to pandora with "emma" and not my 27 char email!
michael

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sandersc