plifebryan

Nov 7, 2009
Visit site
just a tip - you should all do a *228 option 2 - update your roaming capabilities - I'm doing one at home and work just to be safe.

Droid.

R

Roy Aguilera

If the phone is already activated it does it automatically when you call that *228 number.

largeselection

Nov 4, 2009
Visit site
How far does it work? IE- would I need to do it at home/work? I would imagine that if you did it once at home it should update your roaming to a pretty decent amount of space.

bucky716

Nov 16, 2009
Visit site
it's overrated. PRL stands for Preferred Roaming List. Are you roaming or planning to leave the country any time soon? Majority of us live in coverage areas where it would never really matter.

xliderider

Nov 13, 2009
Visit site
it's overrated. PRL stands for Preferred Roaming List. Are you roaming or planning to leave the country any time soon? Majority of us live in coverage areas where it would never really matter.

With the Alltel merger, Verizon might be gaining or decommissioning cell towers in your area. If you live in an area that was serviced by Alltel, but is now Verizon, a PRL update might be beneficial to someone who hasn't done an update in a while.

As mentioned, probably no benefit to Droid users who just got their phone activated recently.

bucky716

Nov 16, 2009
Visit site
If you're a Verizon customer and Verizon activates a tower your phone will automatically pick it up without an update.

Like I said, majority of people don't really need to worry that much about PRL's.

milrtime83

Nov 4, 2009
Visit site
just a tip - you should all do a *228 option 2 - update your roaming capabilities - I'm doing one at home and work just to be safe.

Droid.

It is a national list, no need to do it at different locations.

If the phone is already activated it does it automatically when you call that *228 number.

Pretty sure you still have to select option 2, at least I do.

You are correct, stands for Preferred Roaming List. But that doesn't mean it is just for "roaming" anymore. If Verizon acquires or builds a new tower you would want to update the PRL on your phone so it knows to use that tower if it can.

If you're a Verizon customer and Verizon activates a tower your phone will automatically pick it up without an update.

Like I said, majority of people don't really need to worry that much about PRL's.

The list on your phone still has to be updated so it knows it can use the tower, it isn't automatic.

Donkey Hodie

Nov 17, 2009
Visit site
I live in an area that was previously serviced by Alltel and bought my Droid about a week ago. The signal was fine until this morning when it wasn't 3G at all and only 1 bar. *228 did the trick for both my Droid and my wife's phone.

Thanks for the tip!