24.5 day Bug What do you Think

Tennessee

Oct 30, 2009
Visit site
Quote:
Originally Posted by cereal killer on Crackberry
So it appears this is what transpired. I was pretty skeptical of a "silent update" No idea how they could flash the firmware without an install/notification (not saying it NOT possible but don't understand how)

I got this off of Droid Forum - Covering all Verizon Droid Phones & the Motorola Droid

Explains the 11th push for the update maybe?

So glad I left BB. If this was a RIM issue we'd be waiting for months : )

Nope. Google?s Dan Morrill explained that the camera issues have been pinned down to a date-related bug:

There?s a rounding-error bug in the camera driver?s autofocus routine (which uses a timestamp) that causes autofocus to behave poorly on a 24.5-day cycle. That is, it?ll work for 24.5 days, then have poor performance for 24.5 days, then work again.
The 17th is the start of a new ?works correctly? cycle, so the devices will be fine for a while. A permanent fix is in the works.

xliderider

Nov 13, 2009
Visit site
Technically, my autofocus started working before it was 11/17/09 where I live. I tried the "fix" when it was still 11/16/09, and my autofocus was working... so unless the bug made it so that the autofocus started working because it was in the second half of the 16th day of November, then ok.

Also, where does that .5 day come in? Doesn't it sound weird to anyone else that there is a half day in there, and that the cycle isn't in whole days?

largeselection

Nov 4, 2009
Visit site
What a bizarre error. Glad it's in the "working" phase for me I managed to add a lot of my barcodes to the "keyring" that I wasn't able to before.

Adiliyo

Oct 17, 2009
Visit site
if it's true, it should be in the working "phase" up to the point when the rumored dec. 11th update is issued and (hopefully) the bug is rectified.

whatever happened, all i know is my camera is taking amazing pictures indoor in the auto setting with and without the flash.

noise is a separate issue which really can't be avoided in a CCD and lens so small, but the focus of things is very sharp now

VoltaicShock

Nov 18, 2009
Visit site
I changed the date on my Droid to 11/14/2009 (When I bought it), and the auto focus didn't work.

I think put the date back to (11/17/2009) and it worked.

There has to be something to this 24.5 bug. I just don't know why they would use the time stamp for the auto focus.

BigTex71

Nov 4, 2009
Visit site
I changed the date on my Droid to 11/14/2009 (When I bought it), and the auto focus didn't work.

I think put the date back to (11/17/2009) and it worked.

There has to be something to this 24.5 bug. I just don't know why they would use the time stamp for the auto focus.

The short version: It is because it uses a fixed speed focus motor. Therefore all adjustments are made by the amount of time the motor drives, and not by a 'counter'.