2.2 GARBAGE!

Status
Not open for further replies.

douggyfern

Aug 20, 2010
Visit site
Oh look, another off centered form field box I can type in thanks to the 2.2 update. Don't get me wrong, I LOVE a lot of the 2.2 features that came with the downloads. But these, whatever they're called, "form field boxes"?, HAVE TO GO! I use my Motorola Droid for a tremendous amount of emails and to manage my own forums that have nothing to do with this stuff; it's a flower forum. Whenever I tap on the "message body" (is that a form field?), my Droid used to open what looked like a seperate window. I would scroll up and down to re-read what I wrote, but that was it.

NOW I have to drag my finger all over the page to get to a place that I may want to add something or correct something. It's whatever this box is that am currently typing in. I have tried adjusting the default zoom and text size, but I can't even read the left two inches of what I am typing now because the little "pop up" where I used to be able to enter the message body words, appears to have been deleted and replaced with this slop.

Hold on, I want to make sure I didn't type the same thing twice so I have to close the keyboard and drag my index finger all over the screen to look at everything I just typed because the old input method seems to have been completely removed. BRB.

Okay. Then when I even want to scroll to the bottom of this box to add something else, I can't even drag the screen down that far. The only information I got was "yahoo, Gmail, whatever mail, etc." make apps. so just use them. I'm already pushing near the Max with applications where I don't want TO add a couple dozen more.

I miss the old "message input body" method. Is there any way to get it back, turn it on or make typing in these stupid whatever they are easier? I would prefer not to delete Froyo even if there is a way. I like the rest. I wish the little "blue G" on the Google search box wasn't there because it's an eyesore being right next to my phone and browser Widgets being the same color. But that I don't even care about that much. It's the message body input. It doesn't even leave the screen. I can still see all the other content on the screen and would like to not see it.

How can whoever designed 2.2 think this is any better? It's a jumbled pile of over complex garbage that actually seems to take away features. If the "go" and "next" buttons were even on the android keyboard over 50% of the time that would at least be something. But when I tap then <----| button to go to the next form field box, it causes the screen to go haywire and jump all over the place 90% of the time.

I would like to see Google (or whoever it is) bring back the old message body input method or make in an option. I see absolutely no benefit to only seeing it as an option on the address bar and while texting. The rest when it comes to inputting usernames, passwords, search words, subject lines and message bodies is a useless nuisance.

douggyfern

Aug 20, 2010
Visit site
More fun entering text into the good ole' field box.

I am noticing a tremendous amount of glitches when it comes to doing anything online with any of my droids that now have 2.2 (let me close the keyboard so I can scroll all the way to the left again so I can see what I'm typing). Maybe Google just hasn't properly updated the web browser yet? (closing the Droid keyboard so I can scroll back to the left again). For some odd reason a lot of the sites I am going (wait I accidently put a period after "I". Closing the keyboard so I can scroll back to the left. Now to the right) to automatically "refresh" and the screen just gets bigger and bigger.

Oh this is so much fun. I think what's even better is when I want to scroll, or have to scroll around the form field box and the little "zoom in/zoom out" button appears right under my thumb. Heck I even like the new addition of the quick selectors for "exclamation points, commas and question marks". But how much the screen "jumps around" is ridiculous. DARN IT! I forgot to add parenthesis. There that only took two minutes.

THEN when I try to back out of the field box so I can re-read what I wrote, the screen stays zoomed in. I try to even forget about zooming up and down because it just selects everything in the box. Wait I have to wait for the "zoom in, zoom out" to disappear again. When I am entering form fields and use the "<----|" on the android keyboard, it starts getting REALLY glitchy and will occasionally jump back a few pages for some reason.

This stuff is a nuissance and I hope Google, Droid, or whomever updates the firmware or browser to remedy the wreck that is NOW the internet (great now I can only see a scroll bar and zoom option. Wait where's my message? Oh there it is.). Unreal. Emailing is just as bad as entering text into a form field from what I saw today. What's worse is that all the "modifying" (oh good another random scroll bar.) I have to do and correcting via scrolling through the field box is ABOLUTELY destroying the battery life. I've had this Motorola Droid for a pretty long time (oh good another random jumping scroll bar), but I HAVE NEVER seen internet issues like this. I have to wait for the zoom feature to disappear.

If I make everything "tiny" at least it "jumps" back to the left on it's own but I can't see what I'm typing barely and it still "jumps" almost 3-4 words to the right of the actual margin. There goes my battery dropping to nearly empty from near 75% full because of a message. I WANT the ability to enter messages like THIS back the way it was.

I'm just posting. I don't even want to scroll back through this mess to check for grammatical or spelling errors.

Last edited:

douggyfern

Aug 20, 2010
Visit site
Want some cheese to go with all that whine :)

I didn't have to scroll at all to post this message.

YOU'RE DAMN RIGHT I'M WHINING! LOL Lemme hold my face 6 inches from the screen so I can see what I'm TYPING. The new form field entry methods are GARBAGE. I got a Droid BECAUSE of the bigger screen; NOT to have the bigger screen basically canceled out by itty-bitty letters in a form-field box.

And you're joking right? You typed like an 8 word sentence.

Scatabrain

Jul 13, 2010
Visit site
When i get a pesky field in app or a web page i first try the other phone orientation then the hard keyboard. One of the 3 works well. It used to annoy me but now its second nature. So much more flexible over past phones.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

myriad46

Nov 6, 2009
Visit site
That was rude. Isn't part of the reason for this forum to compare our experiences?

Sent from my DROID2 using Tapatalk

Yeah, compare experiences, not rant for 93 paragraphs. However, I happen to like the change to the text entry experience. Before, in landscape mode, unless the website was very well programmed. I never knew what box i was in. Is this Address 2, or is if City. I'd have to continually go out and come back just to make sure I was int he right field. Now I can see the webpage in the background, similar to the portrait mode. It is challenging to see sometimes, but at least I can see where I am typing.

douggyfern

Aug 20, 2010
Visit site
Yeah, compare experiences, not rant for 93 paragraphs. However, I happen to like the change to the text entry experience. Before, in landscape mode, unless the website was very well programmed. I never knew what box i was in. Is this Address 2, or is if City. I'd have to continually go out and come back just to make sure I was int he right field. Now I can see the webpage in the background, similar to the portrait mode. It is challenging to see sometimes, but at least I can see where I am typing.

Are YOU being FORCED to read it all? For someone to throw out a quick "LOOK AT ME, LOOK AT ME" knock to get "thanks", I'm REALLY not too worried about that opinion. I can't wait for the stupid pictures to go up about "whining" or I LOVE the one with a transformer holding his forhead. YOU do realize YOU just whined about my whining? OH WAIT, there's the scroll bar and neverending zoom feature again because I scrolled up.

Anyways. The form fields are terrible, period. I would rather back out and take 3 seconds to see if I'm on the correct field line then kill my battery scrolling around a field box if I feel like typing more then 3 paragraphs.

douggyfern

Aug 20, 2010
Visit site

I just remembered that with 2.2 the user has to "go back" probably 70% of the time because there is NO "NEXT" OPTION! It is usually replaced with "GO" now on the android keyboard. So I am actually "go back" 93 times more then I was before the trash heap internet that is 2.2 was released.

I would HAVE edited my other post but I just charged my phone and don't want to scroll all over the page and wait for countless scroll bars and zoom buttons to vanish.

sperho

May 31, 2010
Visit site
Portrait mode test. Yep, sucks.

Landscap mode test, soft keyboard. I have a half inch vertically to review, but input field is full width. Not terrible, but marginal.

Physical (landscape, of course). I can now see the whole input field and reviewing and writing seems to be just fine, given the amount of screen real estate that is available. Good thing I have a Droid 1 and hate using the soft input methods for anything but cursory replies and messages...

Now, an editing test after posting. Using the physical keys. Decent vertical height, but the input field width is only about two thirds of its total and I have to scroll horizontally to see a whole line. Shees. Feels like I'm using Blackberfry OS 4.6. Sucks.

Last edited:

douggyfern

Aug 20, 2010
Visit site
Portrait mode test. Yep, sucks.

Landscap mode test, soft keyboard. I have a half inch vertically to review, but input field is full width. Not terrible, but marginal.

Physical (landscape, of course). I can now see the whole input field and reviewing and writing seems to be just fine, given the among of screen real estate that is available. Good thing I have a Droid 1 and hate using the soft input methods for anything but cursory replies and messages...

See I HATE the physical keyboard. The android keyboard seems so much faster IMO. I have used the physical keyboard MAYBE once to see if it was faster to scroll when the decent 2.1 was still around before Google killed the internet with the pile of cow dung that is 2.2.

All I KNOW is that I got about .75 inches of typing room and the form field box is almost consistently wider then the actual screen. So using the android keyboard is a nightmare because an average fingertip is as wide as the stupid form field is. It's also why everything tries to open, and operations show. With the zoom and scroll bars up and what not, the field is probably less then half an inch; which is ridiculous. Not to mention to even fit the freaking field on one screen, without scrolling, everything seems to have to be set to "tiny" when the old 2.1 input method that would automatically resize and crop it without all this nonsense.

sperho

May 31, 2010
Visit site
I agree on the fields, but I've not been able to break my old Blackberry hard key habits... the Droid keys suck compared to my old Bold (9000) keys, but I knew that I was exchanging an awesome emailing machine for a generally more useful machine that is the Droid.

What zoom level/font size settings are you using?

Last edited:

douggyfern

Aug 20, 2010
Visit site
Also people shouldn't HAVE to use the QWERTY keyboard to make it easier. I'm just sayin'. Look at the little tiny letters I'm typing, so tiny and small, HAHA! This CAN'T be "it". Something has to come out or get developed to fix this.

I am using small fonts and far zoom. Even at medium zoom and normal fonts the "letters" are MAYBE a 16th of an inch AT BEST when I am typing in a field box. I just went to scroll back to the right by touching the screen and the "zoom in/out" option kept popping up. This internet is just horrible looking now, not very user friendly at all.

WOW! GREAT! My screen rotates more now (where did the cursor go). WOOPEE! I have touched in several of field boxes where it looks like my Droid is trying to open the "original" input method. I'm hoping that means that there's just a software patch or something that's needed to fix this issue. Before it felt like there was a "dedicated screen" for just inputting field text. It was easy to use and 100 times easier to correct items in that screen. Now it just seems like a mess.

I CANNOT, AT ALL, EVER, see how ANYONE ON THE PLANET can view this new field input method as some sort of upgrade over the last one. Just typing in it alone is so SLOPPY! IF I can make the words out because of where I basically HAVE to keep the zoom and text size, I am still looking at the scroll bar flashing on and off at the bottom of the screen and the other option that normally pops up when the screen is touched - on top of it being MAYBE a half an inch tall. One of the smaller issues now is also when I want to scroll around the field box it drops down the top menu bar as well, the one with the date and time and what not because I accidently hit it since there is little if no padding with this new input method.

Whoever developed this doesn't seem to have fixed ANYTHING that was even a previous issue. Like if I go up a few paragraphs and want to delete something, it still inserts the "last character(s)" that I typed and deletes the words I don't even want gone. Then I have to delete that word and retype the original sentence. Not to mention (see I accidently put a period after "to" right there and tried to delete the period but the Droid deleted "Not to" and replaced it with the word "mention") how "glitchy" the text input is and deleting even a single letter.

I'm not even worried about spelling and grammatical errors now. I'm not about to scroll back through the last few paragraphs and wait for the scrollbar and "zoom option" to disappear. Anyone that hasn't done it can try it if they want. Type a few paragraphs and then go back and replace every like 4th-5th word with a synonym or something if someone wants to see how bad it actually is. It takes probably 5 minutes to edit a freaking message now. Then the cursor is even worse. It's hard to tell if it's next to a letter or there's a space.

I DO NOT see how this input method was even a remotely good addition. There is NO benefit to it. I know Evo's do it too - I was looking at one of those earlier. See in the text form field box "those earlier" was on the last line. I had to delete half of the sentence to be able to see those two words.

Last edited:

douggyfern

Aug 20, 2010
Visit site
STILL GARBAGE! I guess the update was just to prep the phone for 10.1 flash somehow (1.6mb ?). These form fields have all but caused me to stop using my phone for the net all together. Froyo stopped me from getting a DroidX and Droid2 as well. I tried out the "message body form fields" on a DroidX and the tiny letters and lack of a dedicated text entry field were just as HORRIBLE as the regular Droid. Making the letters and zoom large makes it so the "zoom option" almost continually pops up because of all the finger scrolling that needs to be done and making it all small so it fits makes the text barely accessible for simple editing. The message form fields are complete GARBAGE and Google needs to put it back the way it was. Besides the "zoom option" being nearly constantly up during finger scrolling, now the screen jumps to wherever it wants most of the time, in the form field box, regardless of where I tap to try to place the cursor.

Last edited:

myriad46

Nov 6, 2009
Visit site
Dude....go buy an iphone. Or consider some therapy. We get it. There's one feature that doesn't work quite right.

Why not post in the Google feature request forums, where your comments might be viewed by developers?

anthonyzul

Dec 27, 2009
Visit site
Honestly... I see no problems with 2.2. I have also noticed a few differences with the form fields, but damn... I see no reason why anyone should as upset about it as this..

I never have a major problem with them. Including typing right here in this box. It really isn't that serious.

BryEDS

Apr 26, 2010
Visit site
wow ... OP needs to remember that its still just a phone and not a laptop! Chill man, if you're so hung up about the fields get 2.1 or go back to a BB or iphone ... better yet, USE A COMPUTER - I really don't think the websites you're using were optimized for Android, they were designed for a laptop ... blah blah blah .. maybe I should reiterate the same thing 50 times so its as long as the OP's original post!

douggyfern

Aug 20, 2010
Visit site
It's GARBAGE. I use my iPad all the time. But, simply because I need smaller mobile internet access, I purchased a Droid SPECIFICALLY for that. WOW! I got APPS on my phone that are occasionally fun to use, but, the reason I went from a Q to a Q9C to a Droid was because of the base applications the phones come pre-installed with. The Internet Browser being the main one on ANY of them with Microsoft/PDF accessibility a close second. I couldn't care less about the Android Market - the ANDROID MARKET means absolutely nothing to me. Everyone uses their phone for different reasons, myself for internet access. So for me to pay what I did and then have the number one feature I purchased the Droid for, switched off like a light switch, IS GARBAGE!

People can keep making posts making fun of the fact I think the form fields and internet are now GARBAGE after the Froyo 2.2 update, and I'll keep not caring and making a post once every 7-10 days. EVERY RESPONSE, good or bad, is another way for the thread to get bumped. "Reiterate" it 50 times - HELL DO IT 100; it keeps bumping the thread for me. At least it was a decent form of internet access before GARBAGE.2 became available. I thought 2.1 was at least similar to ease of use as an actual laptop - now, no.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.