Vzw can't even sell me the USB tethering.

Scatabrain

Jul 13, 2010
Visit site
The Vzw sales person tried to activate USB tethering for me but said she couldn't because her screen wouldn't allow it because the original Droid doesn't support it. The fact that i can connect it and bring up the page that asks you to call them to order service meant nothing.

I tried to explain that I am on 2.2 and it is there in the OS and it works but she was convinced after talking with her supervisor 3 times that they are right i am wrong and that i must be using a third party solution to make it work. And the clincher: my only possibility is to upgrade my phone. Ive had it for a month and i have no desire to upgrade until next year.

I tried to play fair but pdaNet here we come.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

Scatabrain

Jul 13, 2010
Visit site
Does the wifi tether work with a Mac? I had trouble with it. Currently unrooted but would root again if I could connect my mac. Also it seemed like the encryption options weren't working. Was using BB. 4.
Thanks for the advice.

cdaiscool#AC

Oct 29, 2009
Visit site
Does the wifi tether work with a Mac? I had trouble with it. Currently unrooted but would root again if I could connect my mac. Also it seemed like the encryption options weren't working. Was using BB. 4.
Thanks for the advice.

It is using wireless standard protocols - you shouldn't have any issues with it in regards to your OS - Mac, Windows, Linux, whatever your OS flavor is. However, encryption options not working, that can be a whole different issue. I know that to hack something, you've typically got to be attached to the router. As you're using your phone, you'll notice right away if someone's attached themselves to your environment - and then you can have fun!

Ameeelia.

Sep 4, 2010
Visit site
I don't understand how the function is available, on the phone and with FroYo, but VZW claims they can't hook the tethering up. I can't imagine it would be difficult, so why they "don't have that option in their system" (quotes, noting sarcasm) seems fishy. That's alright, they're losing out on the honesty of one of their customers if the customer have to go a different route so their needs are met.. I'm with ya OP, confusing...

anthonyzul

Dec 27, 2009
Visit site
VZW says that because they can't properly monetize it on the Droid 1 for whatever reason. However, I wirelessly tether my Droid to my laptop all the time. PDAnet works well, but I just use Wireless Tether since I'm rooted. Honestly, USB and Wireless tethering work just fine on the phone, and having to use 3rd party apps without VZW consent is actually a bonus since now you are not being charged extravagantly for the privilege! :D

anon(3653)

Nov 19, 2009
Visit site
That is correct. I called customer service and of all things they told me to use PDA net. :eek:

I rooted and installed wireless tether.

I had an in-store rep tell me about PDANet. I already knew about it but played dumb.

JRodHimself

Aug 18, 2010
Visit site
Although most of the reps and managers are clueless, I'm pretty sure they weren't lying to you. NetACE will block the feature if it's incompatible with the device. Trust me, that rep definitely WANTED to add the tethering feature to your account because he/she gets paid on it.

Scatabrain

Jul 13, 2010
Visit site
Although most of the reps and managers are clueless, I'm pretty sure they weren't lying to you. NetACE will block the feature if it's incompatible with the device. Trust me, that rep definitely WANTED to add the tethering feature to your account because he/she gets paid on it.

Yeah they were unable to do it. What bugs me is that VZW sticks with the story that it can't work. They would be much better off saying they won't support it instead of can't. That's the frustration. Especially considering that I wanted to pay for the services. They would rather nudge you to a new phone.

A phone that is less then a year old shouldn't be relegated to the obsolete heap so quickly unless they change new every 2 to new every 1. Keep the 2 year committment drop the incentive 50 bucks and voilla you'll have lifelong happy customers upgrading yearly.

There VZW I just solved the whole thing. You're welcome. Think of all the happy customers AND phone maker partners you would have.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dumpsterrentals37