JGR4444

Nov 9, 2009
Visit site
update... i was working on a person's car from verizon as work yesterday and he said that this update that is coming out is going to wow everyone on the droid... apparantly its going to be amazing... no really point in posting, im just excited about whatever they have coming :)

Adiliyo

Oct 17, 2009
Visit site
what else can they do to really wow droid users, the reception of the device seem very favorable.

but

what would really wow me would be the facebook app all of a sudden turning into a port of the iphone's app.

i would almost pee my pants.

blackmannx#AC

Panda Motherfrinkin King
Nov 8, 2009
Visit site
Best believe that the next update on the device will fix many annoying lil issues.. Motorola and Google are quite committed to ensuring android and this device is very well supported.. Expect a big push in the developer area next.

ircactus

Oct 8, 2009
Visit site
We'll see what happens on 12/11. One thing is for sure. I was there for the initial BB Storm 1 Rollout. This has been nothing like it. I look forward to what's coming our way for sure.

Chris Kerrigan

Nov 16, 2009
Visit site
I am pretty confident that the update coming on the 11th will be something Motorola and Google have put a lot of time and effort into fixing some of the biggest little annoyances and bugs. I'm definitely looking forward to it :D

aximtreo

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
Early Christmas

Hopefully 12/11 will be an early Christmas present to us "DROID" owners. I probably utilize less than 50% of it's capabilities and I'm still excited.

HO HO HO:D

largeselection

Nov 4, 2009
Visit site
what else can they do to really wow droid users, the reception of the device seem very favorable.

but

what would really wow me would be the facebook app all of a sudden turning into a port of the iphone's app.

Better make sure you don't have your droid in your pocket when that happens.:p

Jerry Hildenbrand

Space Cowboy
Staff member
Oct 11, 2009
Visit site
12/11 will be a patch to fix current issues. You will likely notice no visual differences, but everything should work properly. I wouldn't count on any facebook changes until FB is done monkeying with the system. No sense in making things work that FB is going to change anyway lol.

I think blackmannx is right on the money. The next step is a push to get dev's to step up. I'd expect a big growth in the multimedia apps and communication utilities. Vanilla Android is always going to be smooth, speedy and bare. Android depends on 3rd parties to fill the void, and for the most part they do, but we all see ways they could do more. IMO the reason Google pushed for this to be a plain Google experience phone rather than a motoBlur phone, is so that they can showcase a manufacturer independent OS running available 3rd party software that is just as beautiful and functional as anything HTC, Moto or Sony pushes out. My gut says it will happen within 6 months, as long as the community supports the developers.

baycruisers

Oct 29, 2009
Visit site
From what I can tell, the iPhone app business model is mostly inexpensive apps ($1-$4) purchased by many thousands of users. So, the total number of apps in the market is meaningless. What is important is the popularity and usefulness of the app and the willingness of users to pay a small fee for them. (Remember when it wasn't unusual to pay $30 or more for a Palm app? Those days are largely gone.)

So, the succesful Android app developers will have to figure out what apps will appeal to the largest number of users and the price point at which they can charge. The next six months could be very interesting.

Jerry Hildenbrand

Space Cowboy
Staff member
Oct 11, 2009
Visit site
Correct. And don't forget the impulse sales. It's easy to convince yourself to buy a 99cent beer pong scorekeeper app if you're already half tanked and goofing off with friends. The Apple app store is a business model that is an easy to follow path to success IMO.

All Google needs to address is the non US/Western Europe user base, and rampant piracy that exists in the current market. This alone will draw developers.

YoungChrisG

Nov 10, 2009
Visit site
Correct. And don't forget the impulse sales. It's easy to convince yourself to buy a 99cent beer pong scorekeeper app if you're already half tanked and goofing off with friends. The Apple app store is a business model that is an easy to follow path to success IMO.

All Google needs to address is the non US/Western Europe user base, and rampant piracy that exists in the current market. This alone will draw developers.

I agree. Even though I do really enjoy free apps to pay a buck or two on one I'll use every day is by no means a burden. I'm not to hip on how the piracy works. You can't find BB apps pirated that I know of so 1. Why is Android so easy to steal 2. How do you stop it?

blackops#IM

Oct 29, 2009
Visit site

but

It would be multi touch for me in all native Android OS 2.0 stuff! But would take FB as well as a consolation prize.

Jerry Hildenbrand

Space Cowboy
Staff member
Oct 11, 2009
Visit site
I agree. Even though I do really enjoy free apps to pay a buck or two on one I'll use every day is by no means a burden. I'm not to hip on how the piracy works. You can't find BB apps pirated that I know of so 1. Why is Android so easy to steal 2. How do you stop it?

1. Any user with a PC or Mac can back up copies of their paid applications, and should be able to. This is the problem because of #2 below.

2. Paid apps are not tied to any unique device identifier. An app I pay for and back up can be sent right to you for installation on your phone. If the Android platform fails (and by fail I mean shows little to no growth) it has to be partially because of this.

Solution? I have no idea, but I'm sure that an app could be checked against the phones market account every now and then to see if it's been paid for.

My solution? Teach my kids that stealing is wrong, and a man deserves a bone for his hard work...whether he's a plumber, a doctor, or a programmer. It takes quite a bit of 0.30$ profit after carrier fees to put a loaf of bread in a mans kitchen.

ircactus

Oct 8, 2009
Visit site
In regards to #2, check out how Smart Guard is implementing on Android. Their model on BB has been PIN based as normal but in Android they are using a unique device ID of some type to tie the registration to the device only. If they get it right, it might be a path for others to follow.

With that said, I'm not a big fan of locking apps to a device. At least not without a clear path to move it from say a dead device to a replacement. Crackberry store handles this quite nice as I'm sure other places.

Anyway the idea exists. SmrtGuard :: Your Smartphone Guardian? I believe is the website to pull a demo as they are in beta for Android. Used it on my BB since it was Beta there and have been paying the monthly on the app since it came out of beta. Just that handy :p

1. Any user with a PC or Mac can back up copies of their paid applications, and should be able to. This is the problem because of #2 below.

2. Paid apps are not tied to any unique device identifier. An app I pay for and back up can be sent right to you for installation on your phone. If the Android platform fails (and by fail I mean shows little to no growth) it has to be partially because of this.

Solution? I have no idea, but I'm sure that an app could be checked against the phones market account every now and then to see if it's been paid for.

My solution? Teach my kids that stealing is wrong, and a man deserves a bone for his hard work...whether he's a plumber, a doctor, or a programmer. It takes quite a bit of 0.30$ profit after carrier fees to put a loaf of bread in a mans kitchen.

R

Roy Aguilera

Whatever gets fixed is a welcomed fix. However like most have stated most issues I have encountered are fixed via 3rd party apps.