So I bought a droid on ebay (I'm in the middle of a contract, cant upgrade). Supposedly used a couple days, still has plastic on it. Everything looks good, phone is pretty much mint.

It has a serial number engraved on the bottom front left, just like this prototype. (not the text, just the 8-digit serial)

And the battery has a red sticker, "Motorola Engineering Sample" with a date of 2009.07.16

What do you think the deal is? I emailed the seller to ask. Pretty obvious it isn't a retail unit. Prototype? Press sample? Something else?

Think I have anything to worry about?
    11-23-2009 10:19 PM
    Did the seller post images of the device when you were bidding on it? Have a link to the auction? It should still be available to view...
    11-23-2009 10:22 PM
    I hope you used your head, and got the esn, and called it into Verizon to see if it was good??????????
    11-23-2009 10:57 PM
    I already activated it online, before I noticed. So ESN is apparently clear. Phone has been working great all night.

No pictures were in the ebay listing.
    11-23-2009 11:07 PM
    Sounds like you got a rare one! is the D-Pad silver or gold. To me, sounds like you prolly got a hella deal!
    11-23-2009 11:12 PM
    Sounds like you got a rare one! is the D-Pad silver or gold. To me, sounds like you prolly got a hella deal!
    I would not say that. Who knows if he will be able to update the device. If it is a prototype device there is a good chance that he may not be able to.
    integra94, darktoy and jto101680 like this.
    11-23-2009 11:17 PM
    It's gold... everything looks normal except the serial number on the front of the device. And the sticker on the battery.
    11-23-2009 11:26 PM
    So what did you pay for it?
    11-23-2009 11:31 PM
    Could be a test/review unit.
    11-23-2009 11:36 PM
    Wow, you took a chance on buying a Droid when the auction had no pics?
    11-24-2009 12:02 AM
    Wow, you took a chance on buying a Droid when the auction had no pics?
    Yes. I'm pretty sure I know what a droid is supposed to look like. Especially when it says like new, used 2 days, still in plastic, and the seller has hundreds of feedback, 100% positive.

I wouldn't have noticed anything in a pic anyway. I didn't realize the serial number on front wasn't supposed to be there until I saw the sticker on the battery and examined everything closer.

The only thing I'm worried about is the phone getting flagged, not getting updates, or something happening and not having a manufactures warranty. All three are unknowns.
    11-24-2009 05:17 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD