Weird postcard icon in notification bar...associated with sms/mms....any ideas???

blackops#IM

Oct 29, 2009
Visit site
Ok I was having this issue that I keep getting this weird postcard icon in my notification bar and window.

It is tied to sms/mms, since it only appears when I receive an SMS/MMS and nothing else. I have used handcent and also the default messaging app. No matter which one I use I would get that postcard notifcation along with the handcent or default messaging notifcation.

The postcard one does not go away and when you click on it, it does nothing and takes you no where at all. Just closes out the drop down window shade of the notifcation bar and goes to your homescreen.

I have also tried to uncheck the notifcations setting in the default notifcation settings and when I did so I stopped receiving the audible notication and the default icon for when I received an sms/mms. However that pesky postcard icon still showed up in the notifcation bar and drop down.

Anyone have any idea where it came from, why it is there and how to get rid of it?

In Icon 02.jpg it is the top one that says New Messages.

In Icon 04.jpg it is is the far right icon.

Thanks since it is annoying that is for sure.

DroidRage

Nov 18, 2009
Visit site
Do you have a third party SMS app, such as SMS popup? I have SMS popup and it shows me this when I have a new message. You should be able to go into the setting of this app and disable pop up in the notification bar. When you have a third party app you have separate settings for different apps. To get rid of the notification you can just hard press or press on the notification bar for a second or so and pull down the notification menu and clear them.

blackops#IM

Oct 29, 2009
Visit site
Do you have a third party SMS app, such as SMS popup? I have SMS popup and it shows me this when I have a new message. You should be able to go into the setting of this app and disable pop up in the notification bar. When you have a third party app you have separate settings for different apps. To get rid of the notification you can just hard press or press on the notification bar for a second or so and pull down the notification menu and clear them.

Nope on the sms pop up.
The only thing that I ever installed that was for sms/mms was Handcent.
However I have uninstalled it as of 8 hours ago since it was causing me some issues and would not open and kept force quitting.

But even when I had Handcent installed I would get that postcard and the handcent notifcation. So I would still get both notifcations.

Now that I have uninstalled Handcent I still get postcard notifcation and the default messaging notifcation.

So I am still perplexed and if there is another app that I have installed I am not sure which one would be causing this postcard icon at all.

blackops#IM

Oct 29, 2009
Visit site
Man, but I dont know what App it would be a part of since the only SMS type app I ever downloaded was Handcent. I never downloaded SMS popup at all.

Arrgggg, just annoying and want to get rid of it. I guess I may just have to uninstall every dang app one at a time and send myself a text message to see if that was it at all or not.

Either way very annoying and wish I could just figure it out that is for sure.

blackops#IM

Oct 29, 2009
Visit site
Ok no idea what it is.
I decided to try and figure this thing out so I did a Master Reset. Then one by one I installed and app, ran the app and then sent a text message from another phone to me. Did this over and over and over and over......again.

I have like so far done this for 96% of the apps I had installed previously and so far none of the apps have reproduced the postcard icon.

None of the remaining apps should be the culprit since they are weather widgets or sports apps. So I have no idea what in the world caused it and where they came from at all. Argggg annoying but as of right now it is gone and no longer pops up when I receive a sms/mms.

dagostin

Nov 9, 2009
Visit site
that icon is one of handcents available icons for notifications that you can set in the handcent notification settings. possibly something got screwy with that

tpriddy

Dec 18, 2009
Visit site
I have the same problem SMS "postcard" icon in the notification area. I too use Handcent and have disabled notifications in the default messaging app. I tried to uninstall the likely-suspect apps. I didn't do a hard reset but I did get a replacement phone on day 30 and I still get the redundant "postcard" notification for SMS messages.

I read here that it is not the default messaging apps notification.
I wonder if it's from Google voice.

Could it be an orphaned service process from a once-installed app?

I uninstalled "Beautiful Widgets: Pack 2" and the postcard notification icon does not come back. Thanks Backmannx.

Last edited:

herki

Dec 15, 2009
Visit site
Missed Call uses that icon as notifications.
I think that pre-2.0, that was the icon for SMS notifications. So any application that pre-dates 2.0 and offers notifications of some sort is probably suspect.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chelsea rae